Help me name my new kitty!

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if  you've read my most recent novel, um, thread 
, you would know that I am adopting a cat and hoping to bring her home today. I am feeling a mix of emotions as this was a difficult decision to make. But, now that she will be coming home, she is going to need a new name for her new life. I've always preferred human names for animals, but I am open to any and all suggestions. In fact, the more the better! As you'll soon find out, I'm a bit obsessive about names - it took me a long time to determine that Madeline was my dog's name!

She is 8.5 months old and is more tabby than torbie. But, she isn't your typical brown tabby. She is already spayed and has been front declawed (if you read my thread, you'd understand why this is pertinent - I do not like the idea, but my apartment complex requires declawed cats and I could never, would never declaw my own cat by choice). She is on the more petite end and has an adorable, sweet face. I know it would be easier to come up with names if I had a photo to share, but this is where we're at in this moment.

So far, I've come up with a few 
 ideas (I even marked the ones I especially like):
  • Amelia *, Amber 
  • Brinkley (Brynn for short?)
  • Charlotte *, Clara Belle *, Claire
  • Nothing for D yet, any ideas?
  • Nothing for E yet, any ideas?
  • Nothing for F yet, any ideas?
  • Gwyneth (I am not sure about this one...at all.)
  • Hallie, Hazel *
  • Nothing for I yet, any ideas?
  • Josie *, Jolie
  • Kylie
  • Linley, Lucy, Leelah *
  • Mabel
  • Nora
  • Olivia
  • Paige
  • Nothing for Q yet, any ideas?
  • Reagan, Rosalie
  • Sidney 
  • Tasha, Tess
  • Nothing for U yet, any ideas?
  • Nothing for V yet, any ideas?
  • Willow (Eh,,,)
  • Nothing for X yet, any ideas?
  • Nothing for Y yet, any ideas?
  • Nothing for Z yet, any ideas?
For whatever reason, I'm drawn to old-fashioned and southern names currently. I don't think I want anything too flashy or trendy. But, I also want something unique in its own rite. As I said, my dog's name is Madeline...I'm looking for something that would flow well with that. Any suggestions, though, I would be grateful for. And, as soon as I can, I will add a photo to make things easier.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I rather like Leelah (and it's similar to Lulu), and Amelia goes rather well with Madeline, IMO.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love old fashoined people names for cats too. You could do a google search of popular names from the 1800's or whatever era you like. That would give you lots of choices.Think of your Grandmother's name and her friends' names. I think Esther is a cute name for a kitty. Also Edith (my grandmother's name) or Estelle. Adelaide, Elanore, Adele, Leona.   hmmm... this is fun, now I want a new kitty too lol.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should call her "You". Terry Pratchett came up with that idea, and it works on so many levels. First off, it's just cute. For the second, you can say things like "Hello, You" or "Get down, You" - and confuse the neighbours and innocent passers-by by shouting "OI! YOU!"

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Amelia. I also like the name Cleo (that isn't on your list)

I was a big fan of the Clan of the Cave Bear series of books --- and the female in that series was named Ayla. I always said I would like to name a female cat Ayla.

Whateve you choose -- I'm sure she'll be your best friend.

stripers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am new here. Brown tabby hummmm. She sounds like a Charlee! Aka Charlie. What ever you name her she will love it. I have 7 animals and all their names end different. Really helps for them to know who you are talking too. Good luck! Cheers

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallie sounds good or Hazel

or you could put all the names in a hat and choose that way ?

dejolane

Last edited: