Help Me Name My Blind Kitten

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Appie - short for aperture - for the light or lack of...
I know she's a girl but would Kelvin/Ray(e) or Flash work?!
There's also maybe Florrie as an homage to her original name but this time short for florescent... :camera:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm picking up my two bonded kittens from the rescue in a few days but think I want to change the name of the blind one. Currently, she's Flora. Her seeing-eye female buddy is Pixel (which is great, and since I'm a photographer, I took Pixel's name as a sign they were for me).

Flora is a fine name, but I'd like something with harder consonants to make it easier for her to hear me when I call her, and something with a little more spunk. She's a five month old calico and quite well adapted to having lost her eyes. She's playful but also likes to snuggle. Pixel just wants to play, play, play.

Here are Flora and Pixel (and check out Pixel's bizarre coat! What is orange with brindle patches called?)

For Flora, I thought of:

Bokie (like "bokeh," a photo term meaning out of focus, ha)
Chaplin (for the 'stache)
Scout (spunky girl in To Kill a Mockingbird)
Plucky (fits but I don't love the name)
Kahlo (lady-stache, but I'm not wild about her artwork)
Nikita (La Femme Nikita, but feels too exotic for this DHS)

Ideas? Opinions?
Pixel would be referred to as a torbie(tabby+calico) or calaby (calico+tabby), I think. Both Flora and Pixel are gorgeous! I've heard it said that cats respond well to names ending in "i" or "ee", so most of the camera-related names I can think of don't meet that requirement. But as for the consonants, how about Koneko, which translates as "kitten" (Japanese) and sounds quite a bit like Konica?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The woman who rescued her from the city pound said she had a gruesome eye infection in one eye. It spread to the other eye and neither one could be saved. I think she lost her eyes at about 3 months, so she's had two months to adapt and is doing great. Walked right up to me when I visited the rescue, almost like she could see.
:rock::clap::clap2::hearthrob: :redheartpump:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Cally for her calico coat. You are wonderful for giving these two lovely little girls a forever home. Please keep us up to date on them and post lots of pictures. They are so beautiful.

floralfelidaes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're both so adorableeee! I have always loved the name Kiara which has various meanings including 'bright' which could maybe go with the photographer theme but may contrast with her loss of sight? And it's also the name of the lioness in Lion King (which if you love Disney, it would be a bonus!). They are so sweet and I hope they settle in well. :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FirstRescue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Thanks for the excellent name ideas! Honestly, I'm not sure which one to go with until I get to know her a little better.
I brought them both home a few days ago, and they've kept me hopping ever since! Flora has been a love bug and just wanted cuddles for two days. Pixel has wanted to do nothing except play until this morning, when she decided petting was also pretty nice. They both curled up on my lap for a nap after playtime this morning, which was about the sweetest thing ever. Then Pixel decided to bite Flora, and a wrestling matched ensued.

In other words, totally normal :-)

Good know Pixel is a torbie. She has salt and pepper whiskers! I thought all whiskers were white. I've never seen black whiskers before.

I uploaded a short video of their "unboxing" when I brought them home. It's amazing that Flora knew exactly where I was sitting. I'm not a big sharer on social media, but I uploaded it hoping it might inspire some others to adopt blind kitties. You get so much love back.

I'll give Flora's name some more thought. Thanks for the great suggestions.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3:Oh thank you so much for sharing your unboxing video with us! It is great. :lovecat::lovecat3:Its a good idea to get to know her personality before settling on a name. :catrub:When we started taking care of a little grey and white stray she didn't let us know her name for over three months. When she was still outside, she would come running when we whistled or sent a loud 'kittykittykittykittykitty' echoing down the ally. Once she became an inside cat she came (only when she wanted to of course as she still does) when we called her anything or made kissy noises. We tried many names before settling on Gypsy because she had been a wandering nomad before deciding to allow us to become her willing minions. I think a few we tried were Gracie because she is so graceful, Mittens & Socks because of her cute white feet, Roxy, Rascal, and a few I can't recall. Scott still calls her rascal alot since she really is one.:lol:
:lovecat2:Thanks for letting us share in your new adventure with your two darlings. :kneading::cutecat:Take lots of photo/videos for us:camera:and have fun & enjoy the ride.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow.... after reading your posts and watching your video I had to go and give my boys (cats) and hug.

Perhaps this link to famous inspirational visually challenged women might help you find a name:
10 Famous Blind Women that will Inspire you - Factwide

You may have already researched this topic; I remember reading a website that gave advice on how to help visually impaired pets be comfortable in their homes.

marie846

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow.... after reading your posts and watching your video I had to go and give my boys (cats) and hug.

Perhaps this link to famous inspirational visually challenged women might help you find a name:
10 Famous Blind Women that will Inspire you - Factwide

You may have already researched this topic; I remember reading a website that gave advice on how to help visually impaired pets be comfortable in their homes.
I got some good advice on this from "The Conscience Cat".