Help Me Identify What Is Wrong With This Cat!

Jsara.asad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post. In short, I am trying to see what is potentially wrong with a stray cat I'm caring for at the moment. Please continue reading for some background info. & pictures (1st pic of the eyes, 2nd of white flakes on the cat's back)
20190704_184247.jpg
20190704_184247.jpg
20190628_203106.jpg

There are quite a few strays in my neighborhood. I came across one a few days ago that looked notably unwell. According to neighbors, it has been living around their apartment complex for over a year now and one has noted that his(?) health has been deteriorating.

He is very skinny, has a cataract, and is showing signs of a skin problem (constant scratching and itching) + white flakes on the back area. I have been feeding him wet catfood daily and have given him Capstar to treat possible fleas. I have noticed that since giving the flea treatment, his scratching has significantly reduced.

I am in touch with a local TNR program and hope to get him the treatment he needs, just want to get an idea about what those might be. Thanks!

Attachments

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great of you caring for him! Please get him in to vet asap & I'm paws crossed he is ok. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jsara.asad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your comments and input! I definitely agree he needs more than just TNR. The goal is to catch him and get him checked up & possibly foster him. I already have a cat so it is not a good idea to bring him home before he gets cleared from the vet.

The good news is that in just a week of feeding him and giving him flea treatment, he already looks so much better (fur coat is much cleaner and shiny and less of the white specks/dander on his fur).

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Capstar only works for 24 hours to kill adult fleas only. It isn't a preventative. Just so you are aware. The results are long gone. Make sure they check him for a microchip also when you take him in. Never know! He is cute. I love black cats with "issues" hehe.

Jsara.asad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Capstar only works for 24 hours to kill adult fleas only. It isn't a preventative. Just so you are aware. The results are long gone. Make sure they check him for a microchip also when you take him in. Never know! He is cute. I love black cats with "issues" hehe.
Do you know about an oral flea prevention meds for cats? He is so cute, I can tell with each day he is getting more comfortable with me. He started following me and meowing for the first time today and it broke my heart

Jsara.asad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's probably a dumped pet and can't take care of himself. I guess he's handleable, if you can put flea meds on him, right?
I was only able to give him the chewable Capstar tablets, not the topical solution. He is a bit skittish if I get too close, but will gladly eat food from my hands.

Jsara.asad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to give an update. I was able to trap her and bring her to the vet for a thorough examination & spay. The vet estimates that she is 8 years old, which leads me to believe that she may have been someone's pet at some point in her life.

The good news is that so far, nothing life-threatening was detected. The white specks were dandruff and some lice. Unfortunately they did find that she is missing her lower teeth, which probably explains why she is very underweight, and her cataract is most likely the result of some trauma to her eye a long time ago.

I'm currently taking care of her inside my home. I got a large dog crate to keep her in for the time being, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next! She is a bit timid, but seems to be adjusting quite well to her new indoor habitat

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: I am elated to read that the poor kitty is inside, safe & vetted!! You are a superstar to have given her so much Investment and care - you have an amazing heart & I wish that there were more people like you.
Getting her back to restored health is the important thing now. I eagerly await the next installment on how things are going :hyper:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news. I hope you will keep her as your indoor forever cat. I think she will truly appreciate being cared for, she's had such a hard life already. I really think she will love you quite a bit.