Help me identify Izzy's color pattern

Callie&Co

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My son brought his roommate's cat, Izzy, home from college (the roommate's parents didn't want a cat). These pictures were taken when he was about 10 months old. He's now 18 months old and huge! Not overweight, just a big boy. I'm interested in what his color pattern is. Patched Tabby and White? He has burnt orange on this legs and face.
IMG_5807 2.jpeg
IMG_5813 2.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Callie&Co

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, we used to call cats with spots like that "cow cats." ;)

Because they have spots like a cow. ;) ;)

But I don't ever remember seeing a "cow cat" with tabby stripes. Every cow cat I've ever seen was white with either black or brown spots or sometimes reddish brown.

Can it still be a cow cat if the patches are mackerel instead of solid color?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww he is a beauty, thanks for taking him in❤ He looks like a bicolor brown tabby with the harlequin pattern to me, here are some links. Brown tabbies often have those red tones as well as brown and black. I think the tabby pattern is mackerel prolly.

9 Bicolor Cat Patterns: Tabby, Tuxedo, Harlequin & more ⋆ Love These Cats

A Tribute to Tuxies and their 'Tuxitude' - The Purrington Post

How the Cat Got Its Coat (and Other Furry Tails)
OMG! I just read one of your articles and I think I found my new favorite kind of cat!

vitiligo-cat-fur-pattern.png

If I ever found a black cat with vitiligo like that, I'd want to take him home immediately!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! :) That cat is solid black but has vitiligo. That's a genetic condition that makes a person or animal lose coloration of the skin/fur in a patchy, "cobweb" fashion. It's not harmful, as far as I know, except that you slowly lose pigmentation of the skin, over time.

From what I read, cats or dogs with vitiligo live just as long as any other pet. They just slowly turn white.