Help Me Help My Nursing Cat

Mohannad_7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
This is my first post on the site.
Please excuse my english.
So a stray but very domesticated Turkish Angora breed showed up 2 months ago under a car. I fed her and took her in and thought her owners will soon come asking for her but no one did.

Turns out she's pregnant, the last week of pregnancy her teets showed signs of swelling from milk, the nipples enlarged and the second most bottom row of nipples dripped milk when squeezed, but the bottom row of nipples did not, and also this row of nipples had amaller nipples but larger milk reserve but do not drip milk when squeezed
Upon delivery and nursing, the 4 kittens nursed from the upper nipples and do not nurse from the bottom two although I tried to put them there.

This morning I found out that these bottom 2 nipples still do not drip milk when squeezed and are becoming enlarged and very firm. I tried massaging with hot water and squeezing but nothing came out (the cat seemed to enjoy this and provided me easier access so I assumed there is some kind of pain relief? Photo attached)
Lastly I got a syringe, cut it in half and tried to suck the bottom nipples with the syringe and they dripped milk (although less than what I expected, maybe it's normal) I sucked some few drops from each.
I then tried to put kittens on them but they will not suckle and keep ignoring the bottom nipples. I tried again and again and squeezed milk from them to make the kittens interested but no luck. Maybe because the nipples are small?

My questions are why are these bottom nipples smaller although their glands are more full of milk?
And why don't the kitten suckle from them? And how to make them suckle from them?
Do I need to keep suctioning with a syringe to relieve pressure as I was told by a friend?

Thank you so much for the help everyone

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
M Mohannad_7

What a beautiful cat!

Her belly looks swollen in that area. My guess is that the cat has an infection and needs antibiotics.

Can you get her to a vet? The kittens must go in the carrier with her. I believe antibiotics will help.

In the meantime, do not continue suctioning and squeezing.

Do apply a warm, damp compress to that area of her belly several times a day.

When were the kittens born? Do you think she still has kittens to deliver?

Where are you located?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mohannad_7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can arrange a vet visit as a last resort because it is very far. I live in Lebanon.

Are you sure it's an infection? Is smaller nipples a symptom of infection?

And how to apply a damp compress? I am massaging lightly with hot water. That will do?

Thank you for the quick reply

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wet a warm wash cloth under warm water and lay it on her belly in the affected area. Leave it on until it cools, then warm it again and put it on again.

I am not sure it is infection, but her tummy looks very swollen in that area.

Swelling would indicate infection.

Are you sure there are no kittens still in her belly?

When did she give birth?

Mohannad_7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gave birth 2 days ago.

Can there be more kittens inside? I don't think so

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Then her belly looks very swollen in the picture, and she needs medical attention.

Can you get antibiotics in town?

Mohannad_7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Human antibiotics sure.
Cats not so sure.

I'll try to contact a vet since this seems serious. Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats take many of the same ones as a human does. The dosages are adjusted.

Perhaps you can email the photo to the vet for an opinion.

Continue with the compress and please let us know what the vet says.

Mohannad_7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I managed to call a vet, he asked several questions and he said it's mostly not a problem and probably the cat had a late delivery (by a day or a few) and the milk dried up and for some reason they didn't suckle on it so it got worse. He said the body will remove the dried milk and will stop producing milk in those unused teets.

The cat got better, the bottom milk glands became softer and smaller and all is well.

Thanks everyone