Help me get some zzzzz's, Please!

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Zoey is one year old. She has slept with me for some time now, with minor issues. She would wake up with me at 5:30 am, when the alarm for my husband to get up. After he left she'd never go back to sleep. She would pat my head, knead on the bed or bite me to try to get me up.

I didn't have too much issue with this since I had to be up in an hour anyway. She just was ready to eat and play. But then the time changed and she thought 4:30 was 5:30. I got up and fed her, thinking she would eventually leave me in peace to sleep. But it's gotten worse! I now get up at 3 am and feed her, sometimes that helps but other times even after I feed her....she eats but comes right back to paw me, knead and bite. I love her sleeping with me but have taken to putting her in my bathroom just so I can sleep. After an hour or so in there she wakes me up with meows begging to come out, but almost anytime I give in she resorts to waking me up. Last night I went to bed at midnight, feeding her some BEFORE bed thinking it would help. She still woke me up at 3!

Any advice on how to get her back on track? I'm afraid if I use a squirt bottle on her she'll never want to sleep with me again!

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like you need to get her on a different schedule.  Have you thought about feeding her before you go to bed?  I don't know how early you go to bed but it seems like she might be satisfied until a more appropriate time in the morning. 

On the waking you up part, she wakes you up because you allow her to do so.  Maybe ask your husband to feed her before he leaves?  That might help, too... Or put her out of the bedroom after he gets up?  Cats don't like closed doors but I'm thinking maybe if you ask him to make sure her needs are met before he leaves (it only takes a moment) then she will be satisfied and not need to bother you. 

Please do not use squirt bottles or other "punishments" they do not work.  Cats do not respond favorably.  Cats are creatures of habit and they develop these habits because WE allow them to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried feeding her at midnight last night, she still woke me up at three am. Actually I think she may have woken me up before then! It's all starting to run together lol. Even after I feed her at 3, she continues to wake me up. We go through a cycle of 12 am, I feed her, she wakes me up off and on, at 3 I fed her some more and put her in the bathroom. At 4 she was begging to come out, I figured maybe she'd be good. But had to put her right back in. It doesn't seem to matter how much or often I feed her, it's become a game to wake mama up.
I never have squirted her with a bottle, just have gotten that advice before.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then it's not food.  She just does this out of habit because you allow her to.  Is there anywhere else you can put her besides the bedroom and the bathroom?  That might help? 

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a front bathroom, but it's close to my daughter's room. I would much rather me lose sleep than them, they have school. I can try just ignoring her until morning but it will be a LONG night. No food until the morning. She gets fed around 7 pm, I doubt it has ever been about food. If I cover my head good enough and ignore her, maybe it won't take too many nights for her to get back on schedule? I'm a stay at home mom, so at least I can take a nap if I need it! I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to have a play session before bed also, wear out some energy?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with her having full run of the place?  Why does she have to be confined?  Cats do not like to be confined.  That could be part of the problem?  But, they also need lots of exercise and stimulation, especially young cats.  It is said they need a good half hour of play a day.  Most people like to spread it out and 10 or 15 minutes here or there with the last one of the day right before they go to bed so it winds down the cat.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has never been confined until she started waking me up continually and I couldn't function. She has full run unless she wakes me up more than once. I stay home and play with her on and off all day, letting her chase me through the house, rolling balls for her etc. She has lots of play time. But we will be trying the laser pointer to get her good and tired tonight before bed.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
 If I cover my head good enough and ignore her, maybe it won't take too many nights for her to get back on schedule?
That worked with one of my cats who used to jump on the bed to bug me early in the morning.  I would just put my head under the covers and made it clear I wasn't going to play with her.  After a few times of getting a definite "I'm not playing response" from me, she stopped doing it.   Good luck!  

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Betsygee, I sure hope that's all it takes!

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks Betsygee, I sure hope that's all it takes!
Me, too--it would be nice if it's the easy solution, right?  But if not, there were some other good ideas for playing hard, or changing eating schedules.  Let us know how you do.  

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have played with her for over an hour and keep making sure she is awake :) Hopefully she's good and tired. I will keep y'all posted.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just want to say the laser pointer is not a good idea.  Behaviorist actually think now that they hate the laser pointer and it frustrates them, so it may be counterproductive.  Why?  Because cats play at hunting.  They need the "catch" in order to be satisfied.  So a wand toy is the better way to go.  She can catch it a few times and be satisfied and wear herself out happy and not be frustrated about that red dot.  So my suggestion is to use a wand toy instead before bed. 
Doesn't have to be either/or. Use the laser pointer in conjunction with a wand toy for a good catch. The pointer is good because of its erratic, twitchy nature. Just don't depend on it as a sole toy.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

That worked with one of my cats who used to jump on the bed to bug me early in the morning.  I would just put my head under the covers and made it clear I wasn't going to play with her.  After a few times of getting a definite "I'm not playing response" from me, she stopped doing it.   Good luck!  
I just want to say the laser pointer is not a good idea.  Behaviorist actually think now that they hate the laser pointer and it frustrates them, so it may be counterproductive.  Why?  Because cats play at hunting.  They need the "catch" in order to be satisfied.  So a wand toy is the better way to go.  She can catch it a few times and be satisfied and wear herself out happy and not be frustrated about that red dot.  So my suggestion is to use a wand toy instead before bed. 
I think there's a bit of confusion--we were talking about not encouraging morning time pawing or kneading here.  

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think there's a bit of confusion--we were talking about not encouraging morning time pawing or kneading here.  
I'm sorry, I clicked on the wrong post to quote. I meant to quote the OP where she said she was going to play with the laser toy before bed.  I was letting her know it might actually have the opposite effect. 

And FhiCat, if you would have actually read my response... The laser light is not a good toy for them.  Because it frustrates them.  They cannot catch it.  In order to have a satisfactory play experience, they need to have a play experience that ends in a "catch."  Behaviorist do not believe the laser toys are good for cats any longer because of this.  It is counterproductive. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And FhiCat, if you would have actually read my response...
No need for hostility. I never once disagreed with you. I clearly said you can use both so that the cat has a catch to satisfy it. If you dislike laser pointers, that is your prerogative, but it is still a viable solution for the OP.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need for hostility. I never once disagreed with you. I clearly said you can use both so that the cat has a catch to satisfy it. If you dislike laser pointers, that is your prerogative, but it is still a viable solution for the OP.
You're reading way too much into that.  I was not being hostile.  I don't dislike laser pointers but I kind of agree with the theory.  If she is trying to wear the kitty out before bed, it is best to not frustrate her as it would only make it worse.  That is all. 

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: We played for a LONG time before bed. Tied a large bottle to a shoestring lol. She slept with me until 3 am. She was very unhappy with me when I covered my head and tucked the covers under my arms (reminds me of when I was small and scared of monsters) She tried pawing and launching herself onto my head. But I told her no several times and stayed hidden. My husband came in and asked "What are you doing?" Lol. After that she left me alone until 5:30 when the alarm went off. But she may have stopped because he came in, she doesn't sleep with me when he does. Will try again tonight with the same process and see what happens.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
(reminds me of when I was small and scared of monsters)
That's funny.  
  That's exactly what I did with my Zoe.  She just gave up bugging me after a few days since she wasn't getting any results--I hope it works with your Zoey.   

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Betsygee, I hope it works again tonight as I didn't get a nap today!