Help me decide on a floor stencil, please.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like 3 the best, but....what color fur do your kitties have...and how often do you like to wash your floors.
I like three because of the sharper lines/contrast...however when it comes to dirt and cat fur showing...the more "muddled" or busy design of 2 might be better at hiding it.
I know that I will NEVER have solid dark colored floors because they show EVERYTHING!....even if I just swept/mopped. However a medium colored floor with multi tonal grains hides it. So I would think it would be the same for a stenciled floor pattern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elphaba09 Elphaba09 have you made a decision? We're all curious to know what you chose for the floor stencil. :winner:
It is between 2 and 3. My husband says both are "nice" and that it is up to me. I am still pretty torn. I am going to think on it a few more days and will everyone know.

I like 3 the best, but....what color fur do your kitties have...and how often do you like to wash your floors.
I like three because of the sharper lines/contrast...however when it comes to dirt and cat fur showing...the more "muddled" or busy design of 2 might be better at hiding it.
I know that I will NEVER have solid dark colored floors because they show EVERYTHING!....even if I just swept/mopped. However a medium colored floor with multi tonal grains hides it. So I would think it would be the same for a stenciled floor pattern.
I have 12 cats, so most colors are covered! Haha! I sweep every day, steam mop as needed, but at least twice a week.

The walls are Tsunami (Not my home, but this picture of the color best matches how it looks in my kitchen.) and the cabinets are Bakery Box. The backsplash is white tile:
Bakery Box.png Tsunami.jpg

The colors I am considering:
After the Storm for the base color. Our bedroom and the lower part of our bathroom is this color, and I love it. It does not nearly as black in person. It looks like navy velvet, dark but with a soft blue to it.
After the Storm.png

Frost:
Frost.png

The safe colors are Alexandrite or Lagoon or Seaglass:
Lagoon.jpg Alexandrite.png Sea glass.png

And my crazy, but still possible color is Grassland

Grassland.jpg

I know Grassland seems a strange pick; however, for smaller details, it could be nice. You can kind of see it in this picture:
download (1).jpg

When I pick out the stencil, I am going to do a couple of mock-ups and post them here.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going with number 2. My husband's only reservation is that the stencil pattern is big and our kitchen is small.I said that a large stencil means I will get done faster and that the different colors in the stencil will break the pattern up enough so that it does not look overwhelming in our kitchen. If it does not look right, I can paint over it and restart with a smaller stencil, but I think this will work fine.

We will not be doing it until later in May, but it means I can get the stuff ordered and get some mock-ups completed. I did a quick GIMP edit of the stencil to play with the (similar) colors to what I want. These are the two he likes best with the GIMP edit. I told him to wait until we have the painted ones to decide. As I said, it was a quick edit. I did not feel like filling in all the areas, but this gives a good general idea.

Tile2.jpg Tile1.jpg

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that this was supposed to start in May, but my daughter has been working 60-80 hours a week, which means, I have Hobbit that often. Floor stenciling and a toddler do not go well together! Haha! I thought I had today off, but she got called in at 8. I did a few mock-ups right before he got here. This version is my husband's favorite. We ended up finding a similar stencil to the one we liked that is close enough and $30 cheaper. Ignore all the color variations and running bits. I did not want to use my good brushes for the mock-ups and only had two cheap ones (that were not the right size for what I was doing!) The navy looks almost black here, but it is quickly and sloppily painted on cardboard. I am very pleased with the green. I am, however, torn about the blue. I might go lighter like where it mixed with the white. I think it shows up on the navy better.

20210723_231931 (1).jpg

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you painted that by yourself? That's really nice.

And to think I was proud of myself for painting my bedroom walls.............

:lol:

Thankfully, that is a stencil. I have to do four of them to make it look like that, but it is not freehand. I paint impressionistic abstract art (mostly flowers), so I am not a precise kind of girl when it comes to painting! Haha! Thanks, though!

These are my five most recent. They are still wet, so they are extra shiny. They are also about 85% fingerpainted. The last one is not 100% finished. The third one is for my sister's friend's daughter who is having a little girl and is part of a small series I will be competing for her. It is entitled "The Last Fairy Tale." My sister wants me to write a storybook to go along with the pictures. If I have time, I will. I am particularly fond of the first one. I am not sure why.

20210617_191350.jpg 20210617_191200.jpg 20210724_000647.jpg 20210724_000604.jpg 20210724_000529.jpg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your paintings!

Regarding the floor stencil: I think you're right about a lighter blue showing up better. But I personally would be reluctant to paint the floor in a really pale color because of the way lighter colors show the dirt. But then, you're probably a better housekeeper than I am.

Margret