Help me decide on a floor stencil, please.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might go lighter like where it mixed with the white. I think it shows up on the navy better.
By the sounds of it, you're trying to find the right shade of light blue to be painted solid, but I actually really like the contrast of the perfectly solid navy and green against the blue/light blue/white mixture of the flowers. (I'm sure both will be beautiful of course)
It adds a bit of whimsy and a raw natural look......Idk how to describe what I mean...but it's beautiful.
Your paintings are lovely btw... :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your paintings!

Regarding the floor stencil: I think you're right about a lighter blue showing up better. But I personally would be reluctant to paint the floor in a really pale color because of the way lighter colors show the dirt. But then, you're probably a better housekeeper than I am.

Margret
Thank you! All but "The Last Fairy Tale" will be in my gallery showing next summer. If my sister's friend will let me borrow it and the rest of the series for the show, I might put them in there.

Hmm. Maybe, maybe not! I am "messy/disorganized" yet clean, if that makes sense. A clean freak would walk right out of my house! I am always working on something that causes a mess of "stuff" somewhere in my house. I just do not have the energy to constantly be cleaning as I go; therefore, the mess is there (unless something could hurt Hobbit!) until I am finished for the day. You certainly could not eat off of my floors! Haha!

Well, I'm still very impressed by how neatly you've done it.

So pretty! yes, I can imagine fairies and butterfly flitting about between those flowers.
I am hoping the actual floor will be a bit neater, but I am pleased with how this came out.

Aw! That is exactly how I feel about them! Oddly, they each have a different smell to me, too.

By the sounds of it, you're trying to find the right shade of light blue to be painted solid, but I actually really like the contrast of the perfectly solid navy and green against the blue/light blue/white mixture of the flowers. (I'm sure both will be beautiful of course)
It adds a bit of whimsy and a raw natural look......Idk how to describe what I mean...but it's beautiful.
Your paintings are lovely btw... :)
I see what you are saying! My husband tried to say something similar last night, but he did not put it as well. (He said, "I like the fuzziness of the flowers.") Perhaps, I can practice the flower a bit to make the flowers more consistent within themselves while retaining the whimsey/rawness of the mock-up.

Thank you!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have to do all the edges and wonky spots! We are ordering new floor registers, so ignore the ugly one! Also, ignore all the messy bits. Stenciling with a toddler and twelve cats is difficult! I have splattery bits and "I-want-to-run-through-wet-paint" cat prints in addition to the paint bleeding bits that I am going to fix. I am going to fix most of them, but I am not going to stress about all of them, as I am fine with it not being perfect.

When it is all finished, I will post a picture of it now and when we first purchased our house!

20210813_204401.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Very nice! I love the colours. I have paw prints in pretty much every colour of paint I've ever bought somewhere in this house.
:lovecat2:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful but wow, that was a LOT of work you had to do!
Yes, it was. I just finished the edges and wonky bits this afternoon, and I just sat down from my first round of fixing glaring issues. I am the shortest one in my family (other than Hobbit who is already more than half my height!), so I am half tempted to have the next shortest look down and tell me if they see as many places that need to be fixed as I do. Hahaha! When I am on the floor, there is a lot, but standing it looks much better.

If all goes well, I should be finished around 2 am with the sealant. Then, I have to barricade the kitchen with my cookbook shelf to block the cats, my husband, and Hobbit from going out there for 24 hours.

After that is done, I am redoing my epoxy countertop. When we put in the new sink, we messed up a few bits, so I am going to fix it while my kitchen is still pretty much in my sitting room. I hope to have that completed by Tuesday.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent job! It's absolutely beautiful. And goes so well with your white cabinets.

Speaking of the cabinets, were they already white? Or did you paint them?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent job! It's absolutely beautiful. And goes so well with your white cabinets.

Speaking of the cabinets, were they already white? Or did you paint them?
They were a different hue of white. I ended up painting them along with my pantry, cart, and refrigerator. (Yep. I painted my refrigerator!) I wanted my cart and pantry to match my cabinets and was just going to buy a quart of what I had used before until I saw a gallon of Sherwin Willimas cabinet paint in alabaster for less than a quart of Behr. That is when I decided to just paint everything. I have to clean up the painting stuff and put my cart back, but this is part of the pantry and wall (and Juniper).

20210822_044211.jpg

I posted this on the Positive thread, but I might as well post it here, too. This is my kitchen when we first bought our house in 2014. I added the trim to the cabinets and drawers when I first did the cabinets.
kitchen.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks amazing! Thanks for posting pictures with the rest of the kitchen so we could see how it goes with everything.

I didn't know it was possible to paint a fridge, lol.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks amazing! Thanks for posting pictures with the rest of the kitchen so we could see how it goes with everything.

I didn't know it was possible to paint a fridge, lol.
Thank you! The cart matches the pantry. I am putting it back today.

Neither did I, except for with epoxy spray, until I stumbled upon it. Our fridge was secondhand from a friend when we bought our house and it was stained something awful on the outside. It had been in her garage forever.

This is what I saw; however, I did not want to sand, so I used primer for slick surfaces and cabinet paint. I tried scratching it in an inconspicuous spot today. Nothing!
How to Paint a Fridge ( Inspired by a $2,999 Retro SMEG )

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We painted a stove once but DH did it with spray paint made for stoves. I keep seeing ads for "bespoke" fridges. We just wanted to not have a harvest gold stove. :lol:

Your kitchen looks fantastic!! What is the backsplash made of?
Thank you! The backsplash is American Olean Sausalito White Ceramic Honeycomb Mosaic tile. I split a box of 45 sq ft that I had gotten off of Facebook Marketplace for $20 with my neighbor. I got just over a third of them because my kitchen is much smaller than hers. I paid $5 for my share! You cannot tell because of the angle, the coffee maker, and the cutting board, bit does go all the way around to the fridge and behind the stove.

Now I need to look into stove paint. Haha!