Help making dummy-proof small insulated feralcat house?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've got two nice insulated cat houses for our ever-changing ferals population (as fixed as possible!) with insulation, off the ground, straw & electric outdoor approved cat heating pads. New dilemma: both houses are currently occupied one, with a sweet little blackboy who's become quite a fixture "Crosby" but a new little 7 month old grey (VeRY feral although we're working!) has shown up so we spayed her, but she LOVES Crosby, our black one who sleeps in our insulated dogloo. So much so she sleeps curled up in the dirt right in front of the dogloo. so sad! We want to do a shelter for her right next to Crosbys, but don't have much room. I'd like to fit in a heated outdoor cat pad ( min size seems to about 17" x 14") - obviously I'd want a way in, and room for straw and maybe additional insulation ....the "two rubber maids inside each other" sold at most clinics are too big---any thoughts, or places I can be pointed so I can make my on? I'd like to keep these two sweeties together, & it's getting cold quickly! That dirt rug won't work much longer!!! Thanks!!!!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use  Hefty clear storage box from Target.  I insulate the sides, bottom and top with Reflectix and place a heat pad in the bottom.  I cut one hole in the front and usually one on a side.  I have two cats that are very bonded.  One of my shelters is big enough for them both, but they sometimes need alone time too.  I have two of the Hefty boxes and place them side by side with an entrance and then the side exits butt up against each other.  They can see each other and also travel between the two.  The box on the left has an entrance and then exits on both sides.