Help! Low cost spay/neuter clinics in Wisconsin?

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend’s extended family lives in Wisconsin (we do not).

When we visited last summer, I met their barn cats - some older kittens, and a very pregnant, pop-any-day-now Momma cat. It was going to be her second litter of the year. :(

Naturally, I spoke to them about it. While they definitely have the money, they didn’t want to spend $200/cat.

So I told them there are low cost options available, and from a brief search at the time, I found a place that charged only about ~$65, and left them with the information.

I’d asked my boyfriend to check in about the cats, but I think he didn’t feel like it was his place.

Now his niece just sent us a video of some tiny little kittens, with a pregnant female in the background. :(

He told his niece - who claims responsibility for them when she’s with her dad - that she’s a teenager now, so she needs to do the responsible thing, and get the cats fixed and vaccinated. Her sisters are a little younger, but I’m sure they’ll help pitch in some of their allowance to, or at least help bug mom and dad to get this done.

I let her know that she’ll want to move quickly with the Momma who just gave birth, as it’s early enough in the season that she’ll probably have a second pregnancy again. She really wants to take care of the cats, so I think she’ll be proactive in getting it done if I can help her find some low cost options.

My boyfriend said Waupaca and Appleton are the nearest/biggest cities to them. Any Wisconsiners that can help me out?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Good for you and them for wanting to Spay and Neuter. A quick search on google can bring up local options for them. I know many places are not open right now and I don’t know the area but I know the University of Wisconsin has a Vetrinary school that does spays and Neuter s for a donation. SNAP is in Wisconsin too so a call might get more info on laces that are open and helpful. 608-284-1400. I saw “The Fix is In” has a website. The Fox Valley Humane in Appleton does it based on income so maybe they are open. 920-733-1717. You might want to do the research and check out places for them. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
I should add that none of the cats are feral - so trapping is a headache they won’t have to worry about!

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Hey! Good for you and them for wanting to Spay and Neuter. A quick search on google can bring up local options for them. I know many places are not open right now and I don’t know the area but I know the University of Wisconsin has a Vetrinary school that does spays and Neuter s for a donation. SNAP is in Wisconsin too so a call might get more info on laces that are open and helpful. 608-284-1400. I saw “The Fix is In” has a website. The Fox Valley Humane in Appleton does it based on income so maybe they are open. 920-733-1717. You might want to do the research and check out places for them. Keep us posted.
Thank you! I’m going to message around to a few of the bigger places like that to see if they can at least direct me to some places that are more local to these guys.

I’ve found a few options for low income too, but they definitely wouldn’t qualify for that. I think The Fix Is In is the place I found for them last year.

It’s just a pain in the butt to search when you don’t know the area, so I’m hoping someone here might be more familiar!

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. They have the money to do it, so I’m not sure if financial aid options like that would be appropriate?

But because there are quite a few of them (at least 8, not including the kittens) and they aren’t considered “pets”, I’d like to find some low cost options for them (especially if the kids are the ones who end up paying...).

I told the niece we would match whatever she and her sisters could contribute if it came down to that (although we will probably make sure all the females are fixed ASAP regardless), but I’m hoping her parents will be more motivated this time around now that we’ve enlisted the girls to help, and because I think they’re really finding out this year how quickly out of control things can get!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can go from just a few to a lot in a short time. Say you have one male and three females. The three females have five babies each. Of those fifteen babies, 10 are female. At the end of the year, each of those ten have four and their mothers each have four more. So, the original 4 plus15 plus 40 plus 12 =71 The next season can come quickly. I was fighting time when getting this colony fixed. As I got one female fixed, another would appear. Colonies can attract more. The sooner the spays and Neuter, the better.
If the girls are handling this, one of the groups may be willing to give them a good discount. Bravo for getting the next generation interested in solving this.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some local farm vets will do "group rates" if you have everybody done at once, or may have special farm cat rates. Call all the vets in the area and ask.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Some local farm vets will do "group rates" if you have everybody done at once, or may have special farm cat rates. Call all the vets in the area and ask.
That’s a good idea, hadn’t thought about that.

I am surprised at how many spay/neuter clinics closed in the area (down here all of them stayed open and just switched to curbside)... they seem to be preparing to reopen, but it’s looking like many are going to have 2-3 month waits, which is pretty dire for kitten season, especially following a two month hiatus.

So a farm vet may be a good option, maybe even the only timely one. The downside of group rates is that these people may not have or be willing to put forth all the money for everyone up front (which is why I was targeting females first). But maybe a vet will work with a payment plan or something too.