HELP !!! L-Lysine overdose !!!

blacksnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I woke up this morning to find that my husband had by mistake !!! given my beautiful Tabby Male an overdose of L-Lysine chews.... I am horrified, I sped into the kitchen to check his bowl which was full of these 1000mg chews !!!  I have NO IDEA how many he ate, my husband is cowering in a corner afraid of my wrath .... I found two sick patches in the lounge, one was quite big and very brown, the other was smaller and still brown with what looked like broken chews, but just a couple.

I am hoping this is NOT serious, he did eat a few of his biscuits straight away and seems bright and happy but I have no idea if this has harmed him, I have contacted the vet who knew I was giving him one chew a day for his Herpes eye ulcer... Please can anyone with any knowledge of this type of supplement TELL ME whether he can be harmed or if having being sick he has got rid of most of it and the rest will be urinated out??

please anyone ...

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From my somewhat limited knowledge of l-lysine, I think it's harmless. He could have thrown up because of the ingredients in the chew itself, not the l-lysine. Might have some diarrhea.
That said: glad you called the vet!

rangie32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was once told by a vet that the only thing to watch for when giving cats L-Lysine is that they can get an upset stomach from too much, but that it wasn't dangerous. I hope that is the case.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi I woke up this morning to find that my husband had by mistake !!! given my beautiful Tabby Male an overdose of L-Lysine chews.... I am horrified, I sped into the kitchen to check his bowl which was full of these 1000mg chews !!!  I have NO IDEA how many he ate, my husband is cowering in a corner afraid of my wrath .... I found two sick patches in the lounge, one was quite big and very brown, the other was smaller and still brown with what looked like broken chews, but just a couple.

I am hoping this is NOT serious, he did eat a few of his biscuits straight away and seems bright and happy but I have no idea if this has harmed him, I have contacted the vet who knew I was giving him one chew a day for his Herpes eye ulcer... Please can anyone with any knowledge of this type of supplement TELL ME whether he can be harmed or if having being sick he has got rid of most of it and the rest will be urinated out??

please anyone ...
My cat got into and basically ate an entire bag of lysine treats - 120 chews. He vomited quite a bit, but I called the vet, and they said he'd be fine. In fact, we took him for his dental the next day.

The toxic level of lysine is crazy high - I don't remember the number, but 120 chews of 125mg each wasn't even close. And your kitty threw them up too. He'll be fine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blacksnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Ritz and Rangie32

This is brand new for me (communicating on a website ) and I hope you both see this THANK YOU for your replies .... my Zorro seems fine, not eating as well as normal, but he seems well and non the worse for his experience !!! The vet said that he should suffer no ill effects whatsoever, but obviously I must watch him and if he isn't back to normal tomorrow after 24 hrs to take him to the Vet, his only problem maybe diahorea which he hasn't had, he was sick immediately so I think he somehow knew this wasn't a normal brekkie !!!  Bless his heart

My husband has only just been allowed back into the house :( .....

He (my husband too ) is a food obsessed kitty and I worry about his weight, so to not see him eating is completely alien to me !!  not happy when he eats too much and not happy when he doesn't... go figure ...

But I am very happy that I found this site this morning in my panic and worry about him, soooooo thank you for your replies and concern, I think we have all learnt from this including the Vets I have spoken to, they both phoned me this afternoon asking after Zorro which I thought was amazing

best wishes 

Black Snow 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am totally impressed that your vets called you to ask how Zorro was.
And think you are a kind soul to let your husband back in the house :) As penance, he should clean the litter box for a month.

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Blacksnow, just to let you know my vet has told me you can't overdose on lysine. I was worried about giving my sweeties too much and she told me not to worry.

blacksnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi JodieThierry64

Thank you for your reply.... Zorro is back to normal today !!! around my legs in the kitchen begging for Rocket salad, which is what I was preparing, so I showed it to him.... he then lost interest for a second and carried on !!!

Drives me crazy but I am soooo happy he is OK

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Umm...this is maybe a little TMI, but did he have a bowel movement?  This regarding the cat...

blacksnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi tdonline

Yes a little TMI but thank your for the thought .... he is fine, I have not told my husband that he could have done us a favour, Zorro is eating us out of house and home !!! and maybe just maybe this will be the turning point ...he wants to eat and eat aaaaaallll day !! it drives me crazy... but for the first time in almost a decade there is food in his bowl !!!!!   this is huge absolutely HUGE ... so maybe he has learnt a strange and funny lesson.... he has not used his litter box until this morning and usually I am cleaning it at least twice a day .... long may this continue... because it means I will have him longer ...

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah Zorro is doing great. My husband is too scared to feed our babies. I'm the one who mixes their lysine and probiotics. He knows if he messes up he has to face me. Ha-Ha

penticton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to hear your cat is OK.

I really wanna know if your HUSBAND had a bowel movement when you tore a strip out him? hehe