Help, kitty behavior changed while on meds

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
Took my adult boy to the vet, diagnosed with ear infection and wax buildup which prevented the Dr from seeing the eardrum. Given a wash to fill ear canal 2x daily, and have the 2 week follow up appointment on Friday. The day after the vet appt he was fine, but he has slowly acted more and more sad and despondent every day since. He won’t play which breaks my heart. I feel like he is sleeping a lot, but that may be bc I’ve been WFH now for 6 weeks so have spent more time around him than ever before. He HATES the ear drops, and I get so sad giving them to him. In the last couple days he has also gotten a bit sneezy and I think his nose is a little runny. Of course I’ve convinced myself he got an URI from the vet, or worse — corona virus.
I’m just so out of sorts with worry...I live alone so all I do is look at him, over analyze, google cat things and the results tell me the worst.
Am I overrreacting? Could he just be sad or depressed bc of the ear wash? anything I can do to help? :bawling:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has an infection, it may be causing him pain. Cats are stoic about pain. It's in their nature as both predator and prey in the wild. A cat that cries in pain rings the dinner bell for a predator. Try holding a warm towel to his ear like a warm compress. Warm, not hot. That might relieve some pain. Of course, cats are notoriously picky about being handled and if his ear is bothering him, he'll be even more fussy with anything going towards his ear. He may not let you try this and that's okay. Don't force it. You may be able to trick him into it by wearing a soft glove (fabric, not latex) that you have warmed up by holding a hot compress (or a hot mug of tea.) Then gently and lovingly press that warm gloved hand against his ear in a way you know he enjoys.

If he has a URI, that would also explain a despondent cat. Keep doing what the vet recommends so that hopefully the health issue will pass. Just like people, when cats aren't feeling good, they don't act the same way as they do when they are. Treat the health issue(s) first. His behavior should return to normal when he's feeling well again.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he has an infection, it may be causing him pain. Cats are stoic about pain. It's in their nature as both predator and prey in the wild. A cat that cries in pain rings the dinner bell for a predator. Try holding a warm towel to his ear like a warm compress. Warm, not hot. That might relieve some pain. Of course, cats are notoriously picky about being handled and if his ear is bothering him, he'll be even more fussy with anything going towards his ear. He may not let you try this and that's okay. Don't force it. You may be able to trick him into it by wearing a soft glove (fabric, not latex) that you have warmed up by holding a hot compress (or a hot mug of tea.) Then gently and lovingly press that warm gloved hand against his ear in a way you know he enjoys.

If he has a URI, that would also explain a despondent cat. Keep doing what the vet recommends so that hopefully the health issue will pass. Just like people, when cats aren't feeling good, they don't act the same way as they do when they are. Treat the health issue(s) first. His behavior should return to normal when he's feeling well again.
thanks for the reply. Are there any warning signs I need to look out for? Knowing that cats hide their feelings I don’t want to miss something. I also don’t know if I’m so upset that I am making the situation worse? He is eating a lot, using the box, I dilute his wet food so he gets plenty of water.
I’m so upset about this I’m on the verge of tears...he’s the only thing I have in my life and I feel like the worst cat mom in the universe.
I don’t understand why his spirits have gone down the more I’ve treated him...

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will also add I’m now immensely paranoid that because the vet couldn’t see the eardrum, it is ruptured and he has an inner ear infection. Would I be able to tell if that was the case? He isn’t pawing or scratching the head, no head tilt, no weird distortion to eyes, no balance issues.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what a ruptured ear drum looks like. (Except the drool. She also had some teeth extracted.). If the third eyelid isn’t up and the head isn’t tilted and he’s not wobbly when he walks, it’s probably not a ruptured eardrum.
DC908C86-B325-44D6-A570-7DBFEB2A0909.jpeg
Just keep following the protocol from the vet. Treat the ear first. If you think he has a URI, call the vet. Take care of his health and his behavior should come back to normal.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just like humans, the ear, eye, and nasal canals are all connected. That could be why he is sneezing. When you take a shower bring him into the bathroom with you, the steam with loosen congestion some. It is also ok to use plain saline eye drops, in his eyes, to thin the mucus. When I have an ear infection I don't want to be bothered and I understand what's happening to me.

Keep in contact with your vet and let them know how he's doing. They will want to know if he has discharge when he sneezes.

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just like humans, the ear, eye, and nasal canals are all connected. That could be why he is sneezing. When you take a shower bring him into the bathroom with you, the steam with loosen congestion some. It is also ok to use plain saline eye drops, in his eyes, to thin the mucus. When I have an ear infection I don't want to be bothered and I understand what's happening to me.

Keep in contact with your vet and let them know how he's doing. They will want to know if he has discharge when he sneezes.
I’ve noticed less sneezing, more sniffling recently. I’m.Very troubled right now bc He was laying in bed with me per normal, but has jumped down slowly, crawled under the bed and is laying there. He NEVER does that. I leaned over and called his name, he won’t come out. What is happening?!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are very atuned to our emotions and part of it maybe that he's reacting to your stress. He still loves you but since you give him his medicine he is nervous about your movements. This is only temporary and he will relax again when he feels better and only good things come from you.

You said he is eating, drinking and toileting as usual. This is all good.

Talk to your vet but I wonder if the sniffling is a sign that the wax is dissolving.

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your replies. I was awake all last night with worry, my Winston mostly slept under the bed which he has never done, except for 2 times he jumped up for maybe 3 minutes to be with me, then went back down.
Cleaning his litter box this morning I do see he had diarrhea (sorry if that is icky), but hasn’t had anymore today. I gave him some forti flora. He wants to eat all the time, but is still very standoffish with me (again, never happens. He wants to be held like a baby all the time normally), and meows when I try to pick him up. He’s been back under the bed 2x today.
I changed the vet appt from Friday to tomorrow, I don’t know it is is as simple as you all suggested about him intuiting my emotions, or something more serious. I’ve owned him for over 9 years and never encountered anything like this with him and am beside myself with worry.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always a wise move to take your cat to the vet when you are concerned with his behavior. Cats hide pain. So you always want to rule out medical reasons for abnormal behaviors before speculating about emotional reasons.

I consider it a good sign that he checked in with you at all. Cats prefer solitude when they aren’t feeling well rather than seeking comfort and support like people do. That he checked in with you shows a consideration of you on his part. “I may not feel well but I still want to see how my human is doing.”

Please update us here tomorrow after the vet visit.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor boy, it sounds like he's not feeling well at all. I'd wonder if a "post nasal drip" type of situation is causing some stomach upset as the wax disippates.

If he's eating and drinking well, and only one instance of diarhea dehydration is probably not a concern. Know how to check for dehydration has gven me peace especially with my seniors. Here are 2 videos that show how to check:

You can put a blanket and a piece of your worn clothing under the bed to give him some comfort.

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor boy, it sounds like he's not feeling well at all. I'd wonder if a "post nasal drip" type of situation is causing some stomach upset as the wax disippates.

If he's eating and drinking well, and only one instance of diarhea dehydration is probably not a concern. Know how to check for dehydration has gven me peace especially with my seniors. Here are 2 videos that show how to check:

You can put a blanket and a piece of your worn clothing under the bed to give him some comfort.
Thank you for the videos, I’ve never seen that before. I tried and his seems normal, although he is long haired so I can’t get a very good picture of how the skin moves. I hope it is something like post nasal drip...he had no symptoms of this until maybe 4 days after going to the vet the first time almost 2 weeks ago, so I have to think either the sneezing sniffling are related to the wax, or he got an infection from the vet, or can’t cats also get sick from stress?

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: the ear infection turned from yeast to bacterial. I opted for the ear ointment the vet puts in, then I go back in 7 days for more. Hope that is good stuff.
She gave a probiotic for the tummy issues, a gel plus capsule kind. I am concerned that he is urinating often, although I have been so concerned about dehydration that I have really been diluting his wet food so it basically is like soup.
She has heard from a lot of cat parents with the sneezing and runny nose, she is inclined to think it could be a herpes flare and maybe the lethargy and not wanting to be around me could be included in that? She gave Lysine gel.
I am trying to be patient and understanding with his totally changed Behavior, let him be alone in another room when he wants to, let him go after the very brief cuddles, not get upset that he isn’t sleeping with me. But this is really destroying me. I know I need to give the meds time to work, but I am so anxious that it could be someThing more serious than feline herpes and general stress.
She mentioned me thinking about it I wanted to get bloodwork done but never followed up to see what I thought I realized later. It seemed her first treatment plan was to see if it was fixable just from removing me putting stuff in the ear, getting the infection under control, and him being so stressed from everything.
I probably should ask to get the bloodwork done then I go in at the next appointment, yes? What would you all do if you were in this situation?