[HELP!] Kitten Sore Gums? Or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my 8 week old kitten, Frankie is so skinny and wouldn’t eat anything. My brother bought her a Monge VetRecovery wet food, and I tried giving it to her, but she doesn’t want to eat it—hence, getting skinny. She’s also salivating and her breath stinks. Frankie can still walk and I caught her going to the bathroom to drink water from the floor—but I prevent her from doing so because it’s dirty. So as a temporary solution, I mixed up some dextrose powder into her nursing bottle and I administer it to her from time to time. She won’t open her mouth but, I force her by feeding it on the right side of her mouth. She would gladly drink it little by little but, she’ll turn her head sideways as if there’s something stuck on the left side of her mouth (she always do that if I mistakenly put the nipple on the left side). She also sleep with her eyes open (?). I don’t know if that’s okay? Or may because it’s painful, she can’t sleep properly. Is it possible that she has sore gums? Or is there anything else? Please help me. She’s very sweet and I don’t want to lose her. 🥺

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really, really needs to see a vet ASAP for a physical exam and treatment.

If I may ask, there are other questions from 2019 and 2018 about other kittens, and another about Mochi the mother cat. Is this kitten also Mochi's? One of the reasons why I ask is if the last year's kitten had a contagious disease, or if the mother does.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its apparently an asap vet errand!

That said, your temporary solution is sound, using a dextrose solution. Its no remedy, but buys you some time.
Goats milk, or some good kmr, may be another tip to give her fluid nourishment - she may even live on this more than a few days....

And please, you mention dextrose powder - where did you found this? Here in Sweden its common enough, but seems to be very hard to find by our american forumists...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, its apparently an asap vet errand!

That said, your temporary solution is sound, using a dextrose solution. Its no remedy, but buys you some time.
Goats milk, or some good kmr, may be another tip to give her fluid nourishment - she may even live on this more than a few days....

And please, you mention dextrose powder - where did you found this? Here in Sweden its common enough, but seems to be very hard to find by our american forumists...
Thank you for your reply. I will ask my mom later to rush her to the vet later. I might be afraid that the vets here would be closed because it’s 3AM as of writing this reply. Is it okay If I give her the dextrose and her kmr with a time interval? If so, how many minutes would be the interval?

The dextrose powder is very common to where I live. It’s also for pets.

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She really, really needs to see a vet ASAP for a physical exam and treatment.

If I may ask, there are other questions from 2019 and 2018 about other kittens, and another about Mochi the mother cat. Is this kitten also Mochi's? One of the reasons why I ask is if the last year's kitten had a contagious disease, or if the mother does.
Thank you for replying. This is Mochi’s kitten last December 2019. Mochi doesn’t have any contagious diseases. Her other kittens are perfectly normal, apart from having those who experienced dehydration because of the weather. And her having the lump which somehow popped.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I will ask my mom later to rush her to the vet later. I might be afraid that the vets here would be closed because it’s 3AM as of writing this reply. Is it okay If I give her the dextrose and her kmr with a time interval? If so, how many minutes would be the interval?

The dextrose powder is very common to where I live. It’s also for pets.
The interval? If its just a few drops at a time, perhaps every 15 minutes. Otherwise, longer, but at least every hour. As you yourself hint she is very weak now.
The concentration of dextrose liquid is to be barely sweet, so the kitten wont refuse because too sweet.
Dextrose powder isnt very sweet, so it will be anyway more than if you used, say, honey.
You can of course add a trifle dextrose to this kmr too.

WHERE do you live, if dextrose powder is common in your place?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. You seems to have kmr at hand. Do you use it still, before you noticed she has troubles?

Could it be you did heat her kmr in micro, and she got burned in the mouth? Such may easily happen if you micro the kmr, and dont shake it out vigorously.....

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is the kitten now? Has it been to the vet?
Hi, thank you for your concern. I’m afraid Frankie crossed the rainbow bridge before I left for university and my mom preparing for her to go to the vet. I saw her took her last breath and I tried to revive her. She fought till the end. ❤🌈 🐱

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. You seems to have kmr at hand. Do you use it still, before you noticed she has troubles?

Could it be you did heat her kmr in micro, and she got burned in the mouth? Such may easily happen if you micro the kmr, and dont shake it out vigorously.....
I live in the Philippines and every pet store here has an available pet dextrose on hand. But sadly, Frankie crossed the rainbow bridge before I left for university and my mom preparing for her to go to the vet. I saw her took her last breath and I tried to revive her. She fought till the end. Thank you for your concern. ❤🌈 🐱

mamamochi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry that the kitten passed. Is there a reason why Mochi is still not spayed?
We are still gathering funds into getting Mochi spayed. It’s not that cheap here to get your pets spayed so, I’m researching for some Animal Welfare associations because they have volunteers who go to every city with a set date offering free/cheap spays.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are still gathering funds into getting Mochi spayed. It’s not that cheap here to get your pets spayed so, I’m researching for some Animal Welfare associations because they have volunteers who go to every city with a set date offering free/cheap spays.
I understand the financial challenges but feeding a pregnant cat since they need to eat more, and taking care of kittens every year isn't cheap either as this has been going on since at least 2018 that we know of. Not to mention Mochi, and kittens are more likely to absolutely need vet care and lose their life if they don't.

At the least, can't you block the access to male cats who aren't neutered?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm really sorry to hear the kitten didn't make it mamamochi mamamochi We always lock the threads when a cat passes, so I'll lock this one now. If you would like to start a thread in the kitten's memory please do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

If you have any questions about getting the mother spayed please start a new thread for her.

Rest In Peace little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.