Help! Kitten keeps licking off medication - are these ingredients safe to be ingested?

gvldcoins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My 4 month old kitten keeps licking off the medication that is applied to her hind legs. We have tried to use an ecollar but she simply wriggles out of it and kicks it off.

The medication is called ‘Spectracon’ and is an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal cream, and contains Clobetasol Propionate, Ofloxacin, Miconazole Nitrate, chlorocresol. Are any of the ingredients toxic to cats?

She has been acting rather aloof since this morning and peed on my bed for the first time today, I’m not sure if this behaviour might be related to her licking her medication. Please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to talk to your vet and stop kitty from licking this off until you fo. I know cats get the cones off so maybe the vet would suggest a different cone or a onesie. You can find these online. Some cones are inflatable rings and work better. I think Chewy has the ring collar/cones. I feel sure Amazon has them. Do not let kitty lick this. Call the vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cone might not be on tight enough. Try adjusting it tighter but still allows a finger to be slipped under. Or try a different type of cone. Pet stores sell various types.

Where on the hind leg is the medicine applied to? If it's fairly low, on the leg you may be able to put a baby sock on and tape it in place with first aid tape or veterinary tape. Or you can just wrap gauze over the area and tape in place.