Help. Kitten can't hold down anything.

BeansTheCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a kitten and she's currently around 6 weeks old. She was fine the first few days we had her (ate normally, drank normally, had bowel movements normally, etc.) but now she's been throwing up for nearly 4 days. We try to give her water and feed her as often as possible but she throws it up nearly every time. She seems so tired and although we took her to the vet, her conditions have not improved. We don't think she ate something she wasn't supposed to and we're pretty sure she doesn't have worms, as those would most likely show up in her vomit. The vomit is white and foamy and it sounds very painful. I want to help her but I really don't know what to do. We have tried various types of food like wet, dry, and even milk, but she can't even keep down water. I know she wants to eat and drink, she isn't refusing.
If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated. Google isn't very helpful when it comes to specifics.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to take her to another vet immediately. At this point, I would go to the emergency vet with her previous records. Kittens are very, very fragile, ESPECIALLY as young as she is (where did you get her? She is really too young to be away from her mother). I would be shocked if they didn't, at the very least, give her fluids because she is very dehydrated.

Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeansTheCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need to take her to another vet immediately. At this point, I would go to the emergency vet with her previous records. Kittens are very, very fragile, ESPECIALLY as young as she is (where did you get her? She is really too young to be away from her mother). I would be shocked if they didn't, at the very least, give her fluids because she is very dehydrated.

Please keep us updated!
We got her from a family friend; they have outdoor cats so the mother has kittens often and they ween off pretty fast since the mother usually abandons them within a couple weeks.

BeansTheCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Wait, what did the vet say, or do, did you get any medications, anything? Can you get her to a different vet, and really really soon?
The vet told us that her glucose was low so they gave her a paste to stabilize it and they gave her medicine to help reduce nausea for 24 hours (which obviously didn't help much). They also attempted to give her some nutrient packed wet food but she threw it up. They offered to get her x-rayed but it cost more than I could pay, around $600. They sent us home with some of the nutrient packed food and a deworming solution that we are supposed to give her today. We also got a nutrient paste food supplement and in total, everything cost around $160. None of this seems to be helping and I'm not quite sure if I'll even be able to get her to take the deworming solution because of the vomiting.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my gosh, that poor baby, and you!
Can you call them and tell them the anti nausea med isn't helping?

Maybe something here could help;

(apologies for any broken links);

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to get fluids in her and you need to get her dewormed. I once had a kitten that was around the same age as your's and he wouldn't stop throwing up- he had worms. The vet didn't think he had worms until he kept him for a day to observe him and found worms in his stool. If she can't hold anything down then needs fluids injected under the skin.

BeansTheCat21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Good news! Yesterday I gave her the deworming solution and she managed to keep it down. This morning she seemed to be doing better so I gave her some kitten milk and she also managed to keep it down. She hasn't thrown up since yesterday which is very good and I've been trying to feed her every few hours by giving her some kitten milk with a dropper. This seems to be working for now but if she does start throwing up again I will go to another vet to have her checked out.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Please get her blood tested and vaccinated as soon as you can. Coming from an outdoor mother and being weaned so early has left her weak and vulnerable. You'll need to take extra special care of her so that she doesn't keep getting sick.

Good luck, I hope she continues to improve.