Help, is this normal?

HumanKittenMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so my barn cat is pregnant with her first litter. Last night around 9pm, so around 18 hours ago she gave birth to 2 kittens. The first one was stillborn. I think it had been passed for a while because she didn’t have any fur. You could see it and the colors/patterns but it hadn’t come through her skin yet. Then she gave birth to another, a little boy. You can tell he is premature. He’s alive and doing great but his legs, paws, belly and parts of his face don’t have any fur yet and what fur he does have is very sort and not the normal for a full term kitten. And he’s so tiny! Here’s the thing… she’s still pregnant. Acting completely normal now, not like she’s in labor or anything. I’m thinking I can feel about 4 more in there and they’re wiggling around like crazy. She doesn’t have any milk yet and doesn’t really want much to do with the baby boy. She’ll get in the box and lick him a little but she’s not interested in keeping him warm, feeding him or caring for him at all. I’ve got him covered. We have him in a tub on heating pad and blankets. He’s staying nice and warm and eating from a bottle every 2-3 hours. Peeing and pooping great too. My concern is mainly with momma. Is it normal for her to birth 2 and then go on and continue a pregnancy for longer? My only guess is that her body was trying to expel the dead baby and happened to deliver another as well? Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before and everything be okay in the end?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think what you said is exactly what happened. She’ll have the rest when the kittens and her body are ready. Thank you for caring for this tiny baby! It would not make it otherwise.

Cat Jaxs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I think what you said is exactly what happened. She’ll have the rest when the kittens and her body are ready. Thank you for caring for this tiny baby! It would not make it otherwise.
We had the same thing happen with our cat. She had her first 2 kittens on Friday. The first one was deceased. She wasn't very interested is nursing the other one. Then all day Saturday she was acting normal until later that night. She started acting like she still had kittens in her. Later that night (Sunday morning) around 3am she gives birth to 2 more kittens. So we're thinking she's done but she's not wasn't behaving like she was ok. It was Sunday so I planned to make an appointment for her the next morning. Well when we woke up Monday morning around 7:30am we find that she has yet another kitten, but this one was stuck in her cervex and was deceased. We rushed her to the vet and they did what they do best. They saved her and now she's on antibiotics. We are bottle feeding her 3 kittens while she is recovering. She is being a good momma, licking their butts and faces clean after feeding.
They are all doing well now but I never would have thought this could happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HumanKittenMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww, I’m so glad your momma and the 3 beautiful babies made it.

update on us, baby boy was doing great! He was eating and growing well. We went to the store one day leaving our 19 year old son and 3 young girls home with baby boy in our room with the door shut. While we’re gone someone opened the door and our small 4 month old puppy got in our room and killed him 😔😔😔 I was beyond heartbroken and cried for days over it. 8 days after he was born and 3 days after he died our momma gave birth to 3 more precious babies. Unfortunately something wasn’t right and she declined very quickly over this last week and died 19 days after giving birth to the last 3. I’m so sad and so heartbroken. Thankfully I have these 3 adorable babies to keep me super busy.

Last edited by a moderator: