Help! Is my male cat really female?

Christyg19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been a cat person all my life, so for me to be unsure in this case on the gender of my cat is quite shocking. We adopted our sweet orange kitty, Miles, from our local shelter, who indicated he was an “intact male”. We have been waiting until this summer to get him fixed, as he is an indoor cat. He is on the small side, so we thought he was just taking awhile to develop. We weren’t too concerned about it until he started displaying signs of a female cat in heat. Meowing constantly (for the first time), roaming the house, crouching low, butt up in the air, kicking his back paws. This is where the confusion sets in because I can’t really determine the gender based on the anatomy…. This is where I need help! I’ll provide more images in the comments, but here is a picture of him/her posting up next to my dog. We have a vet appointment scheduled, but not until next week. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, I think you have a girl there. At least you have a vet appointment scheduled. It will be just as easy for the vet to spay as neuter and hopefully within a week she would have finished her heat cycle. It's possible to spay during a heat cycle, but a bit simpler to do so after one.

Be extra careful about keeping her indoors while she's on heat. Female cats get really desperate for a mate and turn into little Houdinis.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
AWWWWWWWW! Such a sweetie! And she does have a girl face. Boys, once mature, generally have fuller faces. Girls' faces are more delicate...unless you have a furry soccer ball, like my snooty gal.