Help! Is my cat a Himalayan or a Ragdoll

mona8331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! new owner here, I have had my baby for about a month know and thought she was a 6 month old Ragdoll, her vet visit today resulted in him saying she is a Himalayan at 18 months, I was honestly confused! so I need you opinion. Some stuff about her:

-She doesn't need to be groomed everyday.

-Somehow she knows how to fetch.

-She is only 4.5 lbs.

-she is very quiet and relaxed all the time and when I pick her up.

-She is a purring machine

!

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would compare her  to a ragdoll.   Possibly the vet though with himalayan not the breed of pointed persians, but as the coloring of  point on longhaired cats - which does happens sometimes. 

More suprising is what you though was a 6 mon kitten, is a 18 mon adult...   Did you saw any change since you got her?  For example, a darkening up?

She being seal point (ie black point) she will tend to darken up with time, although it wont never  be black on the body.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mona8331

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really noticed any darkening. also, if she is a ragdoll, isnt she tiny at 4,5 lbs for being 18 months?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I don't really noticed any darkening. also, if she is a ragdoll, isnt she tiny at 4,5 lbs for being 18 months?
Im not saying she is a ragdoll, Im saying she is somewhat look alike a ragdoll.   So you have something to compare to, look-wise.

But what you say is the key to understanding of your misguess re her age:  Many females are petite, and thus they often look like kittens - in size if nothing else...

Her not darkeing hints too  she is older than she seems, as they do darken up with time.

To be a point, you dont need to be a fancy breed. Its enough both of the parents - with whatever looks - are both carriers of the point gene.  And voilá!  in the litter there we see one or two kittens being points, among siblings whom are looking as the parents are.

The long fur gene behaves similiarly, btw...

So the only we know at least one of the parents was black - or grey ("blue").  Because she is seal point, ie black.

jbejara11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So cute! Reminds me of my nee babes not sure what she is exactly either! I was told ragdoll at 4 minths tho she is def bigger thn this kitty! Going soon to vet to see ehat she says! Maybe balinese even! Her eyes seem more almond than oval ( rags have oval eyes)

My baby here

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Love her blue eyes. Between Ragdoll and Himalayan I would say she looks more like a Ragdoll, although not a perfect match there. I don't see anything that looks like a Himi other than the fact that she's pointed. The muzzle, ears, body type, and fur length are all incorrect for the Himalayan breed standard.

I'm sorry to say that many vets are not familiar with specific cat breeds.

Why do you think she's 6 months old? Are you guessing because of her size or did the previous owner tell you her age? The pictures you posted do look more like a kitten than a full-grown cat, but you can't always go by looks. I had one cat who looked like a kitten even when she was 11 years old.