HELP! Injured cat care (posting for a friend)

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope this is the right place?

so my friend got home today and their male cat seemingly attacked their female and hurt her. It is Xmas night and no vets are open. They 100% plan to go to a vet ASAP but what can they do to help this poor kitty?

"her mouth is open with her tongue sticking out. Dried blood on her lower lip. Scratches above her left eye and her left eye is slowly turning red. Looks like she ripped out a claw and when i touch her shes in pain. When she moves shes in pain. Shes resting right now but im so worried. "

I asked if the wounds were treated

"I tried the best i could. She starts growling if i touch her wounds. But i got them cleaned up best i could. She has water and food. Hasnt touched it. I have her in a separate room. Shes laying on a towel bed in a cubby. Is starting to sleep."

Again they WILL be taking her to a vet ASAP, I am looking for advice for the night! Vet opens in about 12 hours :,( I am mainly looking to see how to make her comfortable and safe until then.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry - I know this is not what you want to hear but a cat with mouth ope , tongue out breathing is not good. At all. It's most often a sign of distress. Certainly the lip injury could have a role in it - but I really, really wouldn't bank on it. If there is an ER clinic nearby - I'd take her in to make sure there are no internal injuries done by the other cat that are not visible.

Maybe someone else can come a long with advice to be able to comfort her but I can't. Sorry. XOXOX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chibi-Miki13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry - I know this is not what you want to hear but a cat with mouth ope , tongue out breathing is not good. At all. It's most often a sign of distress. Certainly the lip injury could have a role in it - but I really, really wouldn't bank on it. If there is an ER clinic nearby - I'd take her in to make sure there are no internal injuries done by the other cat that are not visible.

Maybe someone else can come a long with advice to be able to comfort her but I can't. Sorry. XOXOX
Thank you for responding. I will send this info to my friend.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dried blood on the lower lip and mouth open to me indicates there is a wound on the mouth and it hurts to close; not that the jaw is broken or anything insane. I would - after the wound cleaning - let her rest. Believe it or not, waking her up and dragging her into a carrier, loading her into a car, and driving her in that condition - especially right now - is only likely to escalate the distress. Cats rest and pur to naturally heal and need to be allowed this. I am in favor of allowing time to naturally heal, rather than rushing off to a vet as soon as a problem occurs. However, I do think they should have a look at her whenever possible due to her eye as that IS serious. But while that's not possible, I say let her heal; and check in and help out whenever required but don't be invasive.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is kitty doing this morning? Did they manage to get her an appointment today - or end up going last night?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does she need help finding a no-kill shelter or rescue in her area? Given a general vicinity, we can try to help with that.

Kittenplay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope this is the right place?

so my friend got home today and their male cat seemingly attacked their female and hurt her. It is Xmas night and no vets are open. They 100% plan to go to a vet ASAP but what can they do to help this poor kitty?

"her mouth is open with her tongue sticking out. Dried blood on her lower lip. Scratches above her left eye and her left eye is slowly turning red. Looks like she ripped out a claw and when i touch her shes in pain. When she moves shes in pain. Shes resting right now but im so worried. "

I asked if the wounds were treated

"I tried the best i could. She starts growling if i touch her wounds. But i got them cleaned up best i could. She has water and food. Hasnt touched it. I have her in a separate room. Shes laying on a towel bed in a cubby. Is starting to sleep."

Again they WILL be taking her to a vet ASAP, I am looking for advice for the night! Vet opens in about 12 hours :,( I am mainly looking to see how to make her comfortable and safe until then.
Hi! Did you find help for the kitty?