Help In Getting The Right 80/10/10 Mix For Haretoday Chicken Recipe

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! My cat has been on commercial raw for 2 years now (cat had diabetes for a few months then blew it out of the water with this diet). He was originally on the commercial raw that was run well then began having shoddy business practices (forgot what it was called but they changed their name) and have been on RadCat ever since.

However, RadCat is expensive! And kitty is devouring more and more of it and I'm also trying to be better about my expenses as it costs me about $150 every 1.5 months or about 9 lbs of RadCat each month or about $110 in RadCat for one 14 y/o Ragdoll (about 13-14 lbs).

So I have been reading up on options. I don't plan on getting a meat grinder any time soon unless the benefit significantly outweigh the costs (both time and money).

With that said, I am thinking of getting HareToday chicken and have been trying to figure out the 80/10/10 chicken ground mix. I'm not a math wiz and would probably need to bust out the Excel spreadsheet if I want to trust my math... So rather than reinventing the wheel, I'm hoping someone on this forum can recommend what to purchase to get the right ratio....I would like to do a 3 months supply or so to start w/ (and try to take advantage of the $$ cost savings in this vs. the RadCat option).

I'm very confused about how much of what I need to get and am throwing out there what I'm looking at on HareToday:

-10 lbs of ground chicken/bones/organs (given the 68% meat 27% bone 5% organ [liver])
-x? lbs ground chicken organ?
-x? lbs ground chicken breast?

Once I get the chicken meat ratio right, I'm hoping it will be much easier for me to calculate the supplements from the catnutrition.com recipe based on 4.4lbs of meat...

Is there a cost effective ready made supplement if including all the correct meat/bone/organ ratios (i.e. was looking at the TCFeline Pre-Mix but it's only for boneless meat only)?

And is there a calculator out there that can help with these detailed calculations/quantities/ratios?

Thank you!

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check out the calculator on the website of the manufacturer of Alnutrin
Knowwhatyoufeed.com
It's helpful.

For my boneless ground turkey, I use the Alnutrin with eggshell calcium and add in ground turkey heart and ground turkey liver. I buy the turkey hearts and livers from Hare Today, along with the turkey and other meats, and using a small manual grinder/pasta maker, grind the hearts and livers after weighing.
5 pounds ground boneless turkey thighs
6oz turkey hearts
6oz turkey livers
Plus the Alnutrin, some extra taurine powder (I get it from Bulksupplements.com), and some fish oil.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use my calculator to find find what you need to add to the HareToday mix:

Dilute Bone Content

For 10 lbs of the mix you specified, the calculator shows you need to add 14.8 lbs of meat and 2.2 lbs of organs.

There is an Alnutrin product for use with meat/bone/liver mixes:

A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

Just be careful that the meat/bone/organ mix you use DOES NOT include thyroid. When using a product like Alnutrin that contains iodine you would risk over feeding iodine if you also feed thyroid which is a rich source of iodine. I'm pretty sure you'll find the Alnutrin products to be the most cost effective.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO MUCH for that awesome calculator!!! I ended up putzing around w/ Excel and your calculator is consistent w/ what I came up w/ so at least I know I'm on the right track! And the alnutrin supplement info is fantastic. Now I tried to configure all this on HareToday by means of using extra ground chicken breast to dilute the bone content.

But now I'm comparing the ingredients on RadCat to try to replicate the quality of it to making it myself but their first ingredient is chicken thigh and leg...and Hare Today doesn't have an option for ground chicken thigh and leg but for the cubed version which is notably higher in cost...which...if I replaced the ground chicken breast for the chicken thighs...seems like the cost difference wouldn't be as dramatic compared to buying Rad Cat...

Anyone have any insight into this? I.e. why chicken thigh is so much more expensive and if you've figured something else out to keep the cost down in pursuing the make vs. buy analysis/decision?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The chicken thigh is actually slightly cheaper than the breast on Hare Today. It just looks twice as expensive because the thigh comes in 2 lb packs, but the breast in 1 lb chubs.

Also, Hare Today did have ground chicken thighs/legs at some point a few months ago, but they don't seem to have it now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ardina, good catch! It's not much of a difference at all! So...with the thigh cubes that probably means I have to have it ground up...I have read that keeping it cubed is great for jaw health/strength and teeth cleaning but knowing Tyler, he will not eat the chunks. Darn, that would have been great if HT had ground chicken thigh and legs!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the calculator at www.rawcalc.org bookmarked, It has proven indispensable. The other day my lap top was being replaced and...I made sure to get the correct url to that calculator. I couldn't live without it!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The chicken thigh is actually slightly cheaper than the breast on Hare Today. It just looks twice as expensive because the thigh comes in 2 lb packs, but the breast in 1 lb chubs.

Also, Hare Today did have ground chicken thighs/legs at some point a few months ago, but they don't seem to have it now.
I have not seen HT have ground chicken legs or thighs, I wish they did.I buy the chucked thighs and grind them if I need to.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not seen HT have ground chicken legs or thighs, I wish they did.I buy the chucked thighs and grind them if I need to.
I just checked, and they have ground turkey thigh, but no ground chicken thigh unfortunately. :(