Help!!! I'm lactose intolerant and CRAVING all things dairy!!It's a nightmare!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YUCK!!!!!
I tried to have some of that Soy Silk (vanilla) this morning and some "Enjoy Life"-Cinnamon Granola Cereal (it's gluetin, wheat, dairy, and nut free)....took one bite of that junk and spit it right back out!
Yuck! Did i mention that when i opened the box of cereal and poured the correct serving size in a bowl...i will only have enough for one more bowl- that's way too expensive for something so gross! I'd like to harm those individuals at those health food factories that set prices for these things!
What a rip off! People shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg to avoid allergies.(no offense to anyone who likes that, but for 21 yrs i've eaten "the good stuff"
). I'm trying to make myself eat this stuff anyways so that i get used to it and hopefully develop a taste for it
. This is aweful lol....someone please tell me you develop an acquired taste for this stuff.

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thankyou for the tip- i really appreciate your input! My cravings are unreal! Right now i feel like i'm starving! It's horrible- my stomach is never satisfied.
. My doc won't put me on anything for my IBS because it will interfear with the GERD meds i'm on and as of the moment the GERD is really threatening to my health to the point where i will probably have to have surgery soon. So i'm out of luck on IBS meds. I've found that imodium AD helps sometimes, but not always. I'm really glad to know i'm not the only one on TCS with stomach issues! Thanks for sharing! I hate to complaine about health issues, but at the moment, i'm really desperate for anything that will help- it's hard to function anymore. I know EVERY gas station within a 25 mile radious of my house
/ Thanks for the advice. And by the way, your Missy is adorable!
your welcome i know what your saying about the public toilets aswell if there isnt one near by i dont go lol hope your feeling better soon sending ((((((((healing vibes)))))))) your way

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou! lol and it's definitely a perk to know where every toilet is around me...and i live in memphis! It's a big city!
./ By the way, i WILL NOT be buying anymore of that nasty cereal- it made me sick too!
Goodness, everything i eat makes me sick...Oh well at least i tried lol. The soy milk didn't bother my stomach though so i guess that's good. From now on, i'll stick to the good cereal and eat it anyways...sick or not, because even the healthy stuff made me sick so i may as well eat the yummy stuff.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck! Soy Yogurt is gross too! UHHHHHHH I'm sooo not doing good with this soy stuff. I'll just stick to regular yogurt.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hahahaha - the joys of discovering lactose intolerance!! I went through the exact same thing.

Find lactose free everything, it's sooooo much nicer to eat!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Hahahaha - the joys of discovering lactose intolerance!! I went through the exact same thing.

Find lactose free everything, it's sooooo much nicer to eat!
Any suggestions? What are your favorite brands of lactose free things? As of right now the only thing i tolerate is the soy ice cream- everything else tastes DISGHUSTING to me lol. I guess it's an acquired taste. but definitely not that soy yogurt- yuck! I won't be doing that again lol

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MMMMMMMM Soy Ice Cream
It's yummy!!! Hehe that's one thing i've found so far i like that doesn't make me sick
hehe chocolate peanut butter swirl
I'm happy!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah soy ice cream is yummy!! Everything soy and dairy I just avoid now!

ebongrey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Goodness, that is a lot of milk options
. I wonder which tastes the best out of soy, oat and rice milk. Any suggestions?
Rice milk is my favorite if it helps any
It has a very slightly sweet taste to it and I think it's wonderful. Then again, I hate the taste of real milk. I do love cheese and ice cream though. Soy milk is pretty good too, but I've never tried oat. I should look into that.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
..... Have you ever tried Omnigest ? I have a friend who could not find anything to help him with his lac intolerance .....he tried this and it was the only thing he found to help him. It has some digestive enzyme in it ....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of omnigest...so i haven't tried it, but thankyou for mentioning it- i will ask my doctor about it and see what he says. I posted earlier about eating "yummy" soy ice cream- well darn it! Apparently the stupid soy ice cream makes me sick too
I can't eat anything anymore without getting sick! Uhhhh

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ebongrey

Rice milk is my favorite if it helps any
It has a very slightly sweet taste to it and I think it's wonderful. Then again, I hate the taste of real milk. I do love cheese and ice cream though. Soy milk is pretty good too, but I've never tried oat. I should look into that.
Thankyou for the suggestion. I had a few ppl tell me rice milk was gross, so i tried the soy instead...but since you say it's good i will give it a shot the next time i go to wild oats. I love cheese and ice cream too- that's why i'm having such a hard time
hehe, who am i kidding- i just like food in general (normal food, not all of this new stuff- i will need to get used to that)
. I hate the taste of any milk really- i never drink straight milk, but i do cook with skim milk a lot- and will drink it when it's flavored with chocolate or strawberry syrup to make myself drink milk and get enough calcium. But since i'm supposed to be switching to soy,i got the soy silk vanilla...put it in some cereal this morning- it's tolerable. I think i may try to flavor it and see if i like it better that way. Have you ever tried their chocolate version? I'm wondering if that's good.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Omnigest is OTC in the lac intolerance section @ any drug store. He got his @ Wal Mart.

loubelia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong...but I think all soy milk is 100 % hormone free, and have you tried the soy milk that is vanilla flavored? I think they also have chocolate...! I don't know about you or the rest of you, but when I drink it on occasion-I think it tastes pretty good.
I think I am also lactose intolerant...as I get IBS after eatting a milkshake after about 15 to 20 minutes of a physical activity. But now I wonder....is it that I'm really lactose intolerant or fat intolerant since I sometimes have a lot of fat eatten before the IBS symptom. Anyways, I hope you find a remedy for your situation. Good luck.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Soy Silk Vanilla right now...i think i may try the chocolate later on.

Also- thanks for the info on omnigest i'll look into it.

as for now, nothing- soy or not is keeping me from getting sick, so i'm kinda just eating things within reason that are in my house at the moment
i have no choice.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am lactose intolerant, have reflux, and EOE, and IBD-C.... For a year, I was on a FODMAP diet. along with no soy, no dairy, no nuts, no fish, no gluten, no apples, no stoned fruit. It is a killer diet. I lived on chicken, baked potatoes, carrots, and potato chips. I was able to add oatmeal to my diet. I use maple syrup as a sweetener, since I am fructose intolerant, also. For Bread, I eat Sourdough. Onions and Garlic are out.. Onions still seem to bother me, especially raw ones.

It is a very difficult diet. I read all the ingredients. I am also taking a daily probiotic. And a high dose of omeprazole twice a day.

I an pretty much off the FODMAP diet, but not completely. I seem to know what to avoid.. Have not had watermelon, peaches, nectarines, in a few years.

I use almond milk; have switched to plant based butter, and Veganise Mayo--it has soy, but it is ok for me. A little bit, occasionally is ok.. It took a while to get this far.
I do not use regular ketchup, due to high fructose corn syrup. I buy all natural, and read labels.
Pea protein powder kills me.

Now, that it has been 2 years, I can eat some ice cream.. but not always. Soft serve is a killer.
I would take Lactaid pills when I have soft serve.
I have bought non dairy ice cream. You can find some in almost any grocery store.

If you go to a Whole Foods, you can find tons of alternative to dairy.

Good Luck.

As far as acquiring a taste for things===you just have to DO IT.... or deal with the alternative..
Try a bottle of different non dairy milks: Almond, Cashew, Oatmilk, Coconut, Rice, There are tons of options. ... see how they affect you, and if you like the taste of them..

If you are 21 years old, it is now time to get strict on a diet which is for a lifetime. You ned to do this for yourself.
It is all trial and error.

it takes weeks to see if something is affecting you... Your insides have to heal.. and then you can see.. nothing is immediate.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can totally sympathize with the stomach issues, I have had them all my life. My mother always told the story that whenever she would feed me formula, I would projectile vomit. The doctor poo-poo'd her, telling her oh she was just a new mom. So she bundled me up and took me to him and had him feed me. Sure enough, projectile vomit. I think she said she had to give me goat's milk, but I'm not 100% sure.
But I've never been diagnosed with anything because it just seemed like normal for me, eat something your tummy doesn't like, pay for it. I am lactose intolerant as well, and I ate two ice cream bars last evening. About to pay the price soon, I guess. I do not eat right at all, because I'm also AFRID (selective eating disorder), so it's hard to not eat the stuff that gives me issues. I'm going to the gastro next week because it was really bad for a couple months, so I figured it was about time. Who knows what else is going on with me, which is what I worry about.
My sister has worse issues than I do, so maybe it's genetic?