Help! I Thought My Cat Was A Stray...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the only reason you this this might be a cat that belonged to your neighbor because they look alike and you spotted them together? Because as cute as he is, the Tabby markings are quite common and they could just be unrelated stranger cats you saw. It might not even belong to the neighbor and really is a stray.

You can always chat with your neighbor and ask them how many cats they have and see if they are missing one. I personally would talk to the neighbor in case he ran away. I agree that there is no obligation for return at this point. I personally would want to know definitively.
Yes, only because I saw them together in the ally that one day. And I agree. I really like the commenter who said start witha compliment... I feel liek thats a good and safe place to start! Everyone has been so helpful with ideas, and on what to do!

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I’m super new to being a cat owner, and just now created this account to ask this question...

So, a few weeks ago, around midnight, I was sitting on my couch watching Netflix, when I heard this terribly pained and loud meowing. I identified it, as coming from this little brown tabby, outside my side door, leading to the ally behind my apartment building. As soon as the poor guy saw me, he rushed into my apartment, inviting himself in.

It was well into the freezing temperatures, with snow and ice on the ground, so I really don’t blame him.
I gave him some food, water, and kept trying to warm him up with blankets. He was super friendly and affectionate, rubbing all over me, showing me his belly, etc.

I assumed he was a stray, because he was SO hungry and thirsty, and besides, who would let their cat outside in freezing temperatures? (Without supervision too!)

I had also seen him out in the ally once before with a another cat, who I can only assume was his sibling, because they looked exactly the same. They were fighting over something food related.

We aren’t allowed to have pets in the building I’m in, so I made him a little waterproof house, with lots of soft towels, and put it under my stairs to keep it safe from the snow. I tried to let him go outside the next day, and find the shelter, but I had to pick him up, and put him outside. He looked so pitiful, and meowed so sadly that I immediately let him back in. (I couldn’t say no to his little yellow eyes, okay!)

After doing some online research, I took him to the vet to see if he was microchiped. He wasn’t. He was under a year old, underweight, and not neutered. Vet told me he was mine!

We’ve been living really happily for the past month, and wow, I cannot stress enough how much I love him. He follows me wherever I go around the apartment, cuddles with me whenever I’m on the couch, sleeps in my bed, and one day, I came home crying, and he pawed at, meowed at, and head butted me until I stopped.

But now I’m really concerned, because I think he might be my neighbor’s cat...

I just today went out the side door, and saw the neighbor (in the apartment across from me) open their door, and let out the cat I think is his sibling.

I don’t want to think I’ve stolen him! But I might have?

I’m so attached to him now.I’ve invested a lot of money in him too, taking him to the vet, getting him vaccinated and neautered, making sure he’s clean and happy. His first week with me, he was really sick, falling over his own feet- I thought he was dying- so I took him to the hospital (which cost a pretty penny). I want to do the right thing, but don’t know what it is :((

Any advice?

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been in similar situations. A lot of good points have already been brought up so I will just second that cats who looks similar are not necessarily related. I "blamed" a large gray tabby feral for giving birth to an identical, abandoned gray tabby kitten...right up until I trapped the supposed mother, took "her" to the vet, only to find that she was a he who had long since been neutered.

Several years ago I lived in the foothills above Los Angeles. My neighbor continually brought young cats from his sister's ranch in Texas, supposedly to be ratters. Don't ask. Well, they were eaten by coyotes within about a week. One small black kitten came to my door begging to be let in with a coyote in hot pursuit and that was the last time that she ever went outside....for the next 16 years. Another one he asked me to babysit over a holiday weekend...a tiny calico who was about to be released to live outside when he returned. I told him that I thought she had feline leukemia and would he let me keep her because I was in a position to take care of her and he immediately dropped her like a hot potato.

So I am of the if- you- want- to- have- a- very- vague- conversation- with -your- neighbor then do that, but otherwise you have done enough to locate an owner.

I think that I was in that situation one other time, but realized it much later when I saw cat paraphernalia in the trash at a house down the street. I might have taken in one of their cats as a stray, and did inquire and post signs in that case, but got no response. Given that their other cats all died in the streets via cars, I did not feel bad about keeping that boy.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a beautiful sweetheart who is now a member of your family. Is your manager the other persons manager? Since your manager gave you permission and didn't mention the other people missing a cat you could maybe casually and vaguely bring it up to them but since your poor darling was alone outside cold, sick and starving I personally wouldn't even bother and would fiercely fight to keep him forever, you saved his life! What is his name? More pictures please. Keep us updated and keep him safe from bad people.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm late to this thread, and would like an update, too.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I rescued a cat from a colony of unfixed, malnourished cats near my work place and spent hundreds of dollars on medical treatment for him. Two months later I found the "owner" who was a well meaning but inept cat hoarder who wasn't caring for these cats properly. I offered to help him with getting them neutered and vet care. He wasn't interested in my help, but he wanted the cat back that I had rescued. I called the local police and explained the situation and they told me to keep the cat. The man was a known drug dealer and he was in violation of number of pets allowed in the borough, and the colony of cats he let wander outside and breed were not being properly cared for.

Moral if the story is that each boro and city has different laws and protocols concerning what defines pet ownership, so it's best to call your local police to inquire (you can do so anonymously). I can guarantee you that 99% of the time, if you have rescued a cat from a situation of abuse or neglect, and have provided food and veterinary care for it, the police will tell you to keep the pet, it is yours. Original "owner" who was abusive or neglectful has no rights in this situation.

I came back to my post to include a before and after photo of "Sonny," the cat in my story. Perhaps these pictures are worth a thousand words in expressing how the welfare of the cat far outweighs the "rights" of a neglectful owner.
20180426_144559.jpg
20140926_135000.jpg

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought ownership was established by whoever is providing medical care for this cat. Obviously you are providing for him with the medical care. I'm sorry but letting your unneutered cat outside in the freezing cold is NOT okay! It's clear your irresponsible neighbor has been letting the unneutered boy out all the time. He is your cat. If your neighbor wants to fight you about it just show him your medical documents. Challenge the neighbor to pay up for all the expenses you have incurred for the past month. Afterall, that's only fair. I doubt your neighbor will step up. If it were me, I would gladly pay up and be grateful that someone looked after my lost cat.

I know some will disagree with my strong views but I'm just sick of irresponsible people treating animals like trash.
Because I don't like to "reward" dumpers with the knowledge that someone took in their cat, I don't like to post found ads. I tend to think that anyone who cares about their pet will put up a lot of missing pet ads and contact Animal Control. Call Animal Control and see if anyone has reported him missing, and check your town's missing pet Facebook page. File an official found report with Animal Control so you can say you did your part, and to fulfill any legal requirements. If there's nothing officially on record I'm fairly comfortable saying they don't care much.

Also it's possible that they were kittens they were trying to find homes for and they'd be thrilled that you want him. Maybe you could casually bring up the general subject of cats if you see them outside ("oh, I saw you let a cat out the other day. I didn't know you had a cat!", etc.) and let the conversation develop naturally.
I completely agree. If someone is letting their pet roam around outside in the dead of winter then they clearly do not care or are beyond stupid to think it's ok, much like people who get their pets declawed even after finding out exactly what it entails they shouldn't be allowed to have any.

Checking with animal control and putting up posters is more than enough effort on your part to find your Cat's previous owner, you're the one who let him in out of the cold when he was begging at your door and you've been taking him to the vet and making sure he's cared for so he's yours now.

I have no sympathy for the hurt feelings of irresponsible pet owners if someone else takes in their animal. I live in farm country so morons dump their unwanted pets off around here all the time, myself and my neighbor spotted a young Cat last week that was not previously around here. My guess would be some piece of trash had dumped it off and by some miracle it survived the recent cold snap so I set out a couple live traps to try and catch it but unfortunately it has been days since I last saw it so I'm starting to wonder.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Well to me that cat is yours as what the vet told you. No responsible "owner" would allow their cats roaming around outside in harsh weather. And no microchip!

You have done so much for this kitty. Bless your heart. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello VioletB&HoneyBee VioletB&HoneyBee and welcome to TCS! HoneyBee (I assume he's the stripesider?) is a very handsome young mancat. He reminds me very much of our angel Samuda, who was loping along after a couple on the street outside the restaurant where my ex and I had just dined. He asked them if the kitten was theirs; they said no. Into our car he came. And right into our hearts. He is forever loved! Our neighborhood was one where people did not spay/neuter, so there were a lot of homeless "community cats" whom we got spayed/neutered/vaccinated and adopted, either by us or in the case of some small adoptable kittens, were taken by a rescuer friend and adopted out by her.
Some of the cats actually "belonged" to neighbors, I found out later when I got to know them and we helped two of their cats. But they let them roam and did not spay/neuter. My rule was, if a cat comes into our yard, (s)he gets spayed/neutered and vaccinated, and cared for by us. I have no qualms about doing that. Fortunately, this neighborhood is very different, and most people keep their cats indoors. TNR is municipal policy!
Other posters have said some very helpful and thoughtful things. Bottom line, if anyone asked me, I'd say he is your boy. More pix, please, and update us!

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!! So, I called animal control, and reaffirmed my belief that noone is looking for my precious boy. I’m so glad for everyone’s advice, and feel much better about keeping him safe and loved with me.

I am still learning more about him everyday- yesterday, I just discovered that he loves biting and licking my hair!? Hahaha. And while most cats prefer boxes, he loves paper bags! I’m sure I will have many more questions as the our time together continues.

So happy I have joined this community!!

I will post one more picture to show off how handsome he is! <3

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!! So, I called animal control, and reaffirmed my belief that noone is looking for my precious boy. I’m so glad for everyone’s advice, and feel much better about keeping him safe and loved with me.

I am still learning more about him everyday- yesterday, I just discovered that he loves biting and licking my hair!? Hahaha. And while most cats prefer boxes, he loves paper bags! I’m sure I will have many more questions as the our time together continues.

So happy I have joined this community!!

I will post one more picture to show off how handsome he is! <3
Excellent news! Very glad you are enjoying it here at TCS and thank you for posting that new pic. He is a very handsome young mancat! There are few cats who can resist a good paper bag. And my torti, Tarifa, loves chewing on my hair. I have to stop her from doing this, though, because it isn't really good for her.