Help! I Thought My Cat Was A Stray...

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I’m super new to being a cat owner, and just now created this account to ask this question...

So, a few weeks ago, around midnight, I was sitting on my couch watching Netflix, when I heard this terribly pained and loud meowing. I identified it, as coming from this little brown tabby, outside my side door, leading to the ally behind my apartment building. As soon as the poor guy saw me, he rushed into my apartment, inviting himself in.

It was well into the freezing temperatures, with snow and ice on the ground, so I really don’t blame him.
I gave him some food, water, and kept trying to warm him up with blankets. He was super friendly and affectionate, rubbing all over me, showing me his belly, etc.

I assumed he was a stray, because he was SO hungry and thirsty, and besides, who would let their cat outside in freezing temperatures? (Without supervision too!)

I had also seen him out in the ally once before with a another cat, who I can only assume was his sibling, because they looked exactly the same. They were fighting over something food related.

We aren’t allowed to have pets in the building I’m in, so I made him a little waterproof house, with lots of soft towels, and put it under my stairs to keep it safe from the snow. I tried to let him go outside the next day, and find the shelter, but I had to pick him up, and put him outside. He looked so pitiful, and meowed so sadly that I immediately let him back in. (I couldn’t say no to his little yellow eyes, okay!)

After doing some online research, I took him to the vet to see if he was microchiped. He wasn’t. He was under a year old, underweight, and not neutered. Vet told me he was mine!

We’ve been living really happily for the past month, and wow, I cannot stress enough how much I love him. He follows me wherever I go around the apartment, cuddles with me whenever I’m on the couch, sleeps in my bed, and one day, I came home crying, and he pawed at, meowed at, and head butted me until I stopped.

But now I’m really concerned, because I think he might be my neighbor’s cat...

I just today went out the side door, and saw the neighbor (in the apartment across from me) open their door, and let out the cat I think is his sibling.

I don’t want to think I’ve stolen him! But I might have?

I’m so attached to him now.I’ve invested a lot of money in him too, taking him to the vet, getting him vaccinated and neautered, making sure he’s clean and happy. His first week with me, he was really sick, falling over his own feet- I thought he was dying- so I took him to the hospital (which cost a pretty penny). I want to do the right thing, but don’t know what it is :((

Any advice?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite what you have spent, the right thing is to knock on your neighbors door and explain the situation to her. If it is hers and she wants it back you really have no choice.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm, this one is a tough call... did you see any 'Lost' posters up?

How about putting 'Found' posters up and seeing if they even care? Make it really obvious and also put a couple 'Found' phamplets at a few doors of the various houses including theirs... if they call they care, if not they don't.

Also document everything you spent on the kitty cat at the vet and the steps you took along the way.

Do you have any pics to share of him :)?

I am also confused by your phrasing a bit... you are in an apartment building? Or are you using apartment like a duplex? You said pets are not allowed in your apartment so they are under stairs or something?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought ownership was established by whoever is providing medical care for this cat. Obviously you are providing for him with the medical care. I'm sorry but letting your unneutered cat outside in the freezing cold is NOT okay! It's clear your irresponsible neighbor has been letting the unneutered boy out all the time. He is your cat. If your neighbor wants to fight you about it just show him your medical documents. Challenge the neighbor to pay up for all the expenses you have incurred for the past month. Afterall, that's only fair. I doubt your neighbor will step up. If it were me, I would gladly pay up and be grateful that someone looked after my lost cat.

I know some will disagree with my strong views but I'm just sick of irresponsible people treating animals like trash.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where I live it is considered theft to keep someone else's pet regardless of how you feel about their prior treatment. The only time it is not is if you make a good faith effort to find their original home and it has been X number of days/weeks (I want to say two weeks but don't quote me).

I personally think you have a moral duty to talk to the neighbor about the kitten.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I don't like to "reward" dumpers with the knowledge that someone took in their cat, I don't like to post found ads. I tend to think that anyone who cares about their pet will put up a lot of missing pet ads and contact Animal Control. Call Animal Control and see if anyone has reported him missing, and check your town's missing pet Facebook page. File an official found report with Animal Control so you can say you did your part, and to fulfill any legal requirements. If there's nothing officially on record I'm fairly comfortable saying they don't care much.

Also it's possible that they were kittens they were trying to find homes for and they'd be thrilled that you want him. Maybe you could casually bring up the general subject of cats if you see them outside ("oh, I saw you let a cat out the other day. I didn't know you had a cat!", etc.) and let the conversation develop naturally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How about putting 'Found' posters up and seeing if they even care? Make it really obvious and also put a couple 'Found' phamplets at a few doors of the various houses including theirs... if they call they care, if not they don't.

Also document everything you spent on the kitty cat at the vet and the steps you took along the way.

I am also confused by your phrasing a bit... you are in an apartment building? Or are you using apartment like a duplex? You said pets are not allowed in your apartment so they are under stairs or something?

I talked to my mangers, and they made a special exception, because for a while, I was looking for a possible foster home. But then they came over and met him, and fell in love too! They are letting him stay, because he is so well behaved.

So, I live in an apartment building, and I the neighborhood is in the apartment building next fo mine.

I take the bus, and have seen plenty of lost cat signs, but none of them look like the cat I picked up. I’ve also posted on Facebook, and in local pet stores... nothing.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Where I live it is considered theft to keep someone else's pet regardless of how you feel about their prior treatment. The only time it is not is if you make a good faith effort to find their original home and it has been X number of days/weeks (I want to say two weeks but don't quote me).

I personally think you have a moral duty to talk to the neighbor about the kitten.
They maybe should speak with them, yes. But it has been one month already.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They maybe should speak with them, yes. But it has been one month already.
The good faith effort does not apply if signs weren't put up, posted online, something beyond checking for a microchip. There is no way to know if the neighbor went to shelters searching. It could be that both neighbors took in stray kittens. We don't know enough about the situation to say what happened or is going on. We know the poster took in a stray and did right by the stray. But I know if it was me, it would eat at me if I didn't know.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I talked to my mangers, and they made a special exception, because for a while, I was looking for a possible foster home. But then they came over and met him, and fell in love too! They are letting him stay, because he is so well behaved.

So, I live in an apartment building, and I the neighborhood is in the apartment building next fo mine.

I take the bus, and have seen plenty of lost cat signs, but none of them look like the cat I picked up. I’ve also posted on Facebook, and in local pet stores... nothing.
If that’s the case, you’ve already done more than they clearly have.

If you want a clear mind, you could go talk to them but that’s entirely up to you. I personally wouldn’t care. The kitty cat has already bonded with you...

Last edited:

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought ownership was established by whoever is providing medical care for this cat. Obviously you are providing for him with the medical care. I'm sorry but letting your unneutered cat outside in the freezing cold is NOT okay! It's clear your irresponsible neighbor has been letting the unneutered boy out all the time. He is your cat. If your neighbor wants to fight you about it just show him your medical documents. Challenge the neighbor to pay up for all the expenses you have incurred for the past month. Afterall, that's only fair. I doubt your neighbor will step up. If it were me, I would gladly pay up and be grateful that someone looked after my lost cat.

I know some will disagree with my strong views but I'm just sick of irresponsible people treating animals like trash.
I’ve been keeping all records of his medial stuff, and I saw that someone else suggested I start a conversation with the neighbor about their
The good faith effort does not apply if signs weren't put up, posted online, something beyond checking for a microchip. There is no way to know if the neighbor went to shelters searching. It could be that both neighbors took in stray kittens. We don't know enough about the situation to say what happened or is going on. We know the poster took in a stray and did right by the stray. But I know if it was me, it would eat at me if I didn't know.
Yes, it is eating at me- I posted stuff on my Facebook book, and local pet stores. I also looked for lost posters, and none looked like him.

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because I don't like to "reward" dumpers with the knowledge that someone took in their cat, I don't like to post found ads. I tend to think that anyone who cares about their pet will put up a lot of missing pet ads and contact Animal Control. Call Animal Control and see if anyone has reported him missing, and check your town's missing pet Facebook page. File an official found report with Animal Control so you can say you did your part, and to fulfill any legal requirements. If there's nothing officially on record I'm fairly comfortable saying they don't care much.

Also it's possible that they were kittens they were trying to find homes for and they'd be thrilled that you want him. Maybe you could casually bring up the general subject of cats if you see them outside ("oh, I saw you let a cat out the other day. I didn't know you had a cat!", etc.) and let the conversation develop naturally.
I contacted Animal Control the next morning... nothing reported at the time, but I can check again. I would agree with some of the posters, that I really don’t want to let him live with someone who won’t take good care of him. But I might be able to stomach giving him back to somebody who at least is looking for him.

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Attachments

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its fine if the OP informed her neighbor about it. But does she owe it to the neighbor to give the cat back for free? Nope! This isn't the first time she has seen him around and he wasn't neutered the entire time. Very irresponsible. And the kitty wanted to go inside on the freezing night and he seems to be easily contained inside. If the neighbor was willig to pay back for the medical costs than maybe they deserve the cat back. A very small maybe. I wouldn't blame VioletB&HoneyBee VioletB&HoneyBee at all if she decided to keep the cat anyways. The cat deserves better than the neighbor.

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If that’s the case, you’ve already done more than they clearly have.

If you want a clear mind, you could go talk to them but that’s entirely up to you. I personally wouldn’t care. The kitty cat has already bonded with you...

I think I’m going to call animal control. If he’s reported missing there, then I will go talk to them. If not, then I know they aren’t looking for them. Thank you for all your help!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you put up signs at the local pet store that can suffice for the reasonable effort. As long as you have proof that you made an effort to find an original owner then it becomes a situation of abandoned pet and you have taken ownership. The medical records go a long way towards proving current ownership.

Honestly, approaching in a very vague manner with the other person without saying you have the cat might be best. Get a feel for the situation. But if you made an effort to find his original home I'd call it even.

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you put up signs at the local pet store that can suffice for the reasonable effort. As long as you have proof that you made an effort to find an original owner then it becomes a situation of abandoned pet and you have taken ownership. The medical records go a long way towards proving current ownership.

Honestly, approaching in a very vague manner with the other person without saying you have the cat might be best. Get a feel for the situation. But if you made an effort to find his original home I'd call it even.
Okay, than you. Everyone here has been so helpful. I’m going to call animal control one more time, and then call it quits. Thank you!!!!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise

“Hi there, I saw you hanging out with kitty cats. They are cute aren’t they? Is this one alone or did they have siblings?”

I make it sound corny :(

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the only reason you this this might be a cat that belonged to your neighbor because they look alike and you spotted them together? Because as cute as he is, the Tabby markings are quite common and they could just be unrelated stranger cats you saw. It might not even belong to the neighbor and really is a stray.

You can always chat with your neighbor and ask them how many cats they have and see if they are missing one. I personally would talk to the neighbor in case he ran away. I agree that there is no obligation for return at this point. I personally would want to know definitively.