HELP!! I NEED TO GIVE STRAY CAT EYEDROPS

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I've been feeding a stray (I named him Midnight) in a very quiet neighborhood for about two years now.  I've gained his trust and he rubs on me and I can pet him and he plays with catnip cigars I got him and I have an insulated house with a heated pad for him in the winter, although I'm in the West so it doesn't get terribly cold.   He has the occasional cut or scrape and has had an abscess or two, but has ended up fine. He was not neutered.  He did not show up for a couple of nights, which has only happened twice in the two years...he then showed up at NOON (he NEVER comes during the day)  with his head VERY swollen and his left eye almost shut.  I called the person I knew at the Humane Society and I got a trap and trapped him Sunday night and took him to Heaven Can Wait Sanctuary for treatment and neutering. They also cut half his ear off to mark that he was neutered ( I was NOT happy)   but then they give me eye drops and antibiotic liquid to give him. Well he was so hungry he lapped up the liquid with some soft food gravy that he's been eating for two years, but he is a VERY BIG black cat...twice the size of an average cat.  I do not have health insurance myself and have heard stories of people being bitten and the grave consequences, so not having insurance I cannot risk being bitten. I live alone so there is no one to help me give them to him, but I know seeing his eye he really needs them.  I already let him out of the trap into a big cage with blankets, litter, etc. in my spare bedroom.  IS THERE ANY WAY I can try to give him one drop in his eye twice a day or any kind of place that will keep him for the week to care for him being a stray???   I want my healthy Midnight back :(:(:(

P.S. the reason I haven't adopted him is because of some of the behaviors I mentioned and I rescued another cat in the neighborhood that he always fought with, and I have three other cats plus this rescue already in the house.  I just know with his nature it wouldn't work int the house.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: YOU are a cat champion and we are happy you found us! AWWW poor Midnight. Please don't take any chances then - trying to get eye drops into the eyes of a fearful cat can be daunting at best, and a feral cat downright dangerous. Now you mention you can pet this cat? Will he let you hold his head steady for a few seconds? Or are you not that far along in his socialization :dk: Then, I would see about calling the Heaven Can Wait Sanctuary and ask what to do and see if they know of a vet that would allow you to board the cat just so he can get the eye drops. Explain your situation with no medical insurance too. Believe me, they should know of such a place because many a feral they get in to be neutered needs medical attention for days or even a week :nod: I will be hoping that they will assist you with Midnight :cross: OH - the ear..... It is not cruel - do not worry - they have to do that so we as feral trappers know when we trap a cat that is has already been sterilized and we release it right away. It does not hurt them and it is only the ear tip. Most TNR organizations require this to be done. Good luck with Midnight - and keep us posted. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)  I have been on the site before awhile back because I rescued a cat named Oreo.  I don't know where my profile info went :( Oh well.  I called my longtime vet Dr. Fontes (He's awesome! Been with him 7 years now for my kitties)  He said as long as Midnights taking the liquid antibiotics (he did the first time today at noon with his food, going to try again before bed)  that is the main thing he needs and rest. He agreed not to risk it and they do have boarding where they could attempt the drops, but he said they may not have much more success than I would being a feral cat and if he doesn't cooperate. He said to keep with the liquid antibiotic and let him rest and observe him the next couple of days for improvement and watch the eye.  If I think he's getting worse or not improving enough I want to take him to Dr Fontes, but I've moved him from the trap to a nice HUGE cage with his blankets he's used the last two years, litter, water, catnip cigars..lol ....how on earth would I get him back into a trap to take him to the Doctor???  I have a carrier, but I don't know if he would let me put him in anything, or if Dr Fontes could accept a feral cat in a carrier. 

Oh yeah, lol  yes I can pet Midnight, he doesn't mind and he rubs on my leg and rubs his face on my hand, but after two years is still jumpy at any sounds and rarely he will hiss when I'm taking the food over to set it down...I don't know why. We haven't gotten as far as Oreo and I did outside when he'd lay with me on the porch in the middle of the day and just hang around until it started getting dark and then go off around the neighborhood...Midnight has just never gotten to that point unfortunately....i just think he is more leery and just doesn't let his guard down and he would get in fights with Oreo before I took Oreo in, but Midnight started showing up at my door first and a couple months later Oreo appeared and Oreo wanted to claim me, the house, the food for himself lol...so I don't think Midnight really started things, but I know he finished them, because Oreo was always in worse shape.  Thats why I don't think i can take Oreo in the house also.  I'm at four cats right now with Oreo and with their history and the fact I'm still dealing with my cats truly accepting Oreo as family...I just don't think it would work....I hate it, but I just don't have a good feeling about it like I did with Oreo.

P.s. I've never trapped or rescued in my life...Oreo and Midnight have been my first :)  I've always donated, but I'm just a person who loves animals and these two I believe were abandoned when the housing bubble burst and the foreclosures came here in Vegas. My neighborhood was just being completed and I think some people had a house built and then the bottom fell out and they walked away from the house and these poor guys, but I'm doing the best I can.

Whew.....a lot of typing  lol

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am glad you both got good advice, and you yourself  contacted your vet this excellent and friendly dr Font..  And the doc said it is enough with this liquide antibiotics for now.

IF you must handle him in tight situations, use of course gloves and thick jacket.  This is standard with rescue people.

Also protection glasses - them cats go for the face and eyes if they happen into a serious combat.

Any glasses is better than nothing, but use preferably protection glasses for chemists, or sports, or such... Big and tough usage is best.

You can try to wrap him up in a big towel. Being sick, he surely knows he needs help, so chances are good he even will voluntarily allow it.  Well immobilized, he will accept his fate - ie the eyedropper or if you must clip his nails. 

I got the tip from breeders who have studs who hate being nail clipped, but do accept this when they get this poncho / Rome toga on them.   :)

As you are alone, this is probably the easiest and most workable for you to do.

There are a couple of other advices for such situations, but Im not sure they are useful for you.

A couple of different forumites mentioned in recent treads they do use blindfolds on their cats. I know some vets use such blindfold masques too.   Them cats get entirely passive when blindfolded.   Like birds of prey they use for hunt, right?

But you must drop in the eye... 

Another tip, they are much easier to handle if they are in a rather small cage while they are sick and need medication.  This way, you dont need to chase them every time they shall get medications. You are instead relieving him a moment from this unpleasant cage...     :)

Last, but not least.   I do understand completely you dont feel it possible to adopt him as inside kitty. You do already have your group. and you fear for conflicts. 

Of course. You cant have too many cats - otherwise you will not be a rescuer, you risk to end  as the mad herder - that is the big risk of all rescuers who adopt more than a very occasional cat...

And of course, your responsibility for your residents is greater than for other cats. So it is.

But.  Much of the problems were because he was an intact tom.  Now when he IS neutered, he will shortly be much more easier to get pal with other cats.   Im not trying to talk over you into adopting after all. But you shall know this when you try to find him a home.

Good luck!    *vibes*

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh of course, I remember you and Oreo!!!!! Welcome back! Glad Oreo is doing well too :rub:

It would be very easy to get Midnight into a carrier :nod: Here is what you do... Put the carrier inside the crate with the carrier door left open. Gently prod Midnight to go into the carrier willingly by using a long yardstick or something of the sort. Most cats will willingly go right into the carrier to get away from the gentle prodding :lol3: Then use the yard stick to shut the carrier door. Open the large crate and reach in and latch the carrier door. Works very well to do it this way when they are already in a huge crate :nod: More vibes for Midnight to recover and get well soon :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Hopefully your won't have to bring him into Dr. Fontes :nod: :cross: Keep us posted :hugs:

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bad turn :(:(    Midnight seems depressed....I don't know if it's being in a cage in a quiet room all day...he seemed to love it and need it at first....he stretched out and yawned and slept and ate....he ate his treats with the cut up pill in them...it was great!    Last night he only ate one treat with half a pill soI put the other half crushed in his favorite soft food with gravy and he turned his nose up. I left it over night and he didn't touch it.   I turned over his favorite folded blankie to a clean side and cleaned the loose litter from the rest of the cage to maybe make him feel better about it being clean.  I'm very worried about his not eating and getting him his medicine. I put a Meow Mix Chicken and Beef soft cup in there with crushed antibiotic pill. I put it in front of him and he licked his lips, so I was encouraged, then he got up, just stood there for a bit... turned away from me and laid down.   I'm not a vet or animal psychologist and I feel very ignorant and helpless to do what I need to or observe what I should be looking for with him :(   He's known me for over two years...if he's going to respond to anyone it's going to be me....and he's not. :(:(   I may be overreacting and may need to calm down...not eating is really worrying me.

Last edited:

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!  he ate half of the food cup which had the crushed clavamox pill on top...yea!!!    Now, I'm sure about tomorrow, but I'm thinking of a few small pieces of hot dog with a couple of them having the halves of the pill in them.  I know it's not the greatest for him...just a means to get him started and get the pill down and I'll give him good food.  ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 but I'm thinking of a few small pieces of hot dog with a couple of them having the halves of the pill in them.  I know it's not the greatest for him...just a means to get him started and get the pill down and I'll give him good food.  ?
You mean the nourishment isnt first rate?  Dont matter anything at all in such cases.  Swallowing the medicine is the first pririty in such cases.  Or even, eating at all when they dont have appetite.

Besides, hot dog isnt THAT bad. When homeless, he would by lucky for getting half on a old hot dog.

He would even be thriving if it was a whole hot dog.   :)

Good luck!   *vibes*

Edit:  A minor exchange from the svenglish  so to more english that...   :)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sure you could try the hot dog - OR you could try those pill pocket greenie treats. Some cats just love those and will readily eat the hidden pill inside. BUT some don't like the treats. You just have to find something that Midnight finds irresistible and can't refuse. I am glad he is a bit better today and ate something for you. Most cats LOVE Fancy Feast wet food. Maybe try to offer him some of that brand to get his appetite going. Keep updating :D :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, setback again :(   He wouldnt go for the hot dog or whiskas chicken gravy food which he has loved for the last two years I've fed him. He also wouldnt go for the Temptations naturals chicken treats I put them inside when he first got here and he ate. I think it was the anesthetic and being tired and worn out that he was so easy to help in the beginning. I brought him home from the vet Monday night so its been almost 5 days.  He wants out of the cage. I think he's depressed being in there and it's affecting his appetite. I feel so bad.  He's never gone after me in any way and always been so gentle...I'm so tempted just to let him out of the cage and just be in the room, but I sort of worry about getting in and out of the room without him maybe trying to bolt, but I havent seen anything that would tell me he would try to do that...even though he wants out of the cage..he moves slowly and gently to get out of it and I just slowly close the door. 

Something inside is telling me to trust him and I think he's hurt that I'm not and I'm maybe ruining a bond if I am to even possibly entertain the idea of integrating him into the house..which would be a lot since I just rescued Oreo in May and he's pretty much settled in with my 3 other kitties, but Oreo and Midnight had a history of figthing outside and Oreo would still growl when he saw him through the glass door sometimes since May, but had gotten much better the more he saw Midnight and the more he got used to me going outside to feed him. I also worry about putting too much on my three that I've raised since kittens and Rams, my only girl, just will never get along with Tigger.. the 3 1/2 old boy cuz he loves to stalk and pounce with her and she hates it.  Tigger also starting peeing on things and I wonder if that was due to him being intimidated by Oreo because he used to rule the house and Oreo is so gentle but big and loud with his meowing. lol

I have a complex situation on my hands and want to do the right thing for all of us. I just struggle with what that is.  My instincts tell me to trust Midnight, while the humane society lady and vet and everyone tell me keep him in the cage....but they don't look into his eyes like I do....and don't understand I have been his only trust and friend for almost 3 years.

What should I do about Midnights state of mind and health and is there a possibility of it being the right thing to try to keep him in the house and be part of this family?.....maybe he won't want to be a housecat...he's never come around during the day like Oreo or expressed the desire to be around the house like Oreo who would stay all day on the back porch and lay around with my other kitties and not ever make a move at any of them...maybe Midnight misses and wants to be outside....I'm so confused....first these antibiotics I'm trying to get him to take although hes looking much better and what do ultimately do thats the best thing.  :(:(:(

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and sorry you are having these confusing emotions. I totally understand. First off, I think IF you let Midnight out of the cage and keep him in the "safe" room, he will be just fine. Have a couple of places for him to hide in :nod: A couple of kitty cubby tents or under a bed/chair.... This way when you go in and out of the room, he will hear you coming and will just retreat to his hiding spot. I have never had a cat try to "bolt" out the door upon my entrance and exit - especially a frightened feral/stray kitty. I think you should go with your gut on this and it might make you feel better to let him have the run of that room. :nod: I know it is a hard call right now - keeping him inside or returning him to the outdoors. Please know, there is NO rush to return him to the outdoors. You will know as time goes by - week's - if he will be settling into the indoor life. OH and also, just because Oreo and Midnight USED to fight outdoors, indoors is a whole new world and not as threatening as the outdoor life. So not much of a need to fight. Especially if they are both neutered now :nod: Don't worry about losing trust - actually the opposite is happening right now - Midnight and you ARE developing a very deep bond. The trust is being strengthened - even though you think he is sad - you are the only one caring for him. Believe me, he really trusts you completely. :hugs:

Here is another suggestion for the medicine. If you can find Stella/Chewey's Freeze-dried raw food - It is not cheap about $20.00 a bag - but will last a long time, especially if you use them as treats. FIRST, soak a little cube and see if he will eat it. IF Midnight does - which he probably will - then soak another little cube to make it soft and then put the pill inside of the little soft raw treat. There you go - easy and I do this for my cats - the ones who love the Stella and Cheweys treats.. OH don't get the beef - some of us have had problems with the beef. Get the Chicken or the Salmon. It is sold at natural pet food stores. Your other cats might really like them as treats too. I always wet them before I give them to the cats.

Hang in there and I hope we can help you through this process with Midnight :cross: It will be fine :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the advice.  I followed my gut last night and let him out and he was rubbing and purring on me. He went right to the bedroom door though wanting out of it lol.   I think the antibiotic was making his stomach upset or something so I was suggested a little milk to coat his stomach which he lapped up :)   His face has not shown any swelling coming back and he's on the mend, so I'm just going to forget the antibiotic and if for some reason he regresses, I'll take him to Dr. Fontes for a week long antibiotic shot.  I know he wants to go back to his life outside, but maybe he just needs time to see he could have a better one in this house.  So if I keep him longer it won't compromise his skills for surviving in the neighborhood?? He still has a shaved butt and face but it's going to be in the upper 60s almost 70 next week.   I just want whats best for him. To be healthy and happy.  It just seems he misses his life...he always seemed happy when he came to my back door at night to eat, and hasn't really showed up hurt for the 6 months after I took Oreo in except I noticed his bottom left canine tooth is gone...but not sure when he mightve lost it...could have been gone for years but I never noticed.  I don't want to keep him in the house the rest of his life against his will, but I also want to give him a chance to see if he might like this. 

Oh by the way, I just left the room from visiting him and as I was leaving, Oreo was out in the loft and did his loud rolling meow he always does and I looked back in the room and Midnights eyes were big and then he started to come to the door.  I hope Oreos loud butt didnt upset him...but if hes to be in this house, he's gonne hear it a lot lol

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I haven't been posting to the thread, but I was keeping up - but missed some updates here!

First of all :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: for all you're doing for this boy. :heart3:

With the purring and the rubbing... and giving he's not going nuts to try to get out... I think he might do just fine as an indoor kitty. What might be happening is that he's starting to feel better. He's gotten a lot of rest (when we first bring inside older feral rescues, they tend to sleep a LOT for weeks!)... and he may be bored! Does he play? With interacitive toys? (Some are scared of them at first :lol3: ). Is there a window in there? Is there a perch at the window where he can sit and look outside? Can you put up a bird feeder so there's lots of activity going on?

Given you'd like to try to integrate him, I'd give it a little time. Let him continue to heal, and just play it by ear. Don't forget - they weren't neutered, right? when they were outside. This significantly changes the dynamic between kitties. :nod:

Vibes :vibes: :vibes: for you and Midnight!

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words :). I love him so much and I never thought it was fair to rescue Oreo and not him...but Oreo was very aggressive in letting me know he wanted a home, while Midnight remained a night cat. I've had ratherbee catnip cigars for him over the years ..they are big and the strongest catnip smell I've known of.....all my cats go crazy over them. I've had a new one here in his room and he just played with it with me :). Also got him a long tale furry catnip mouse he's using for a pillow right now. I just brought him some warm milk and a meow mix market select beef and chicken cup which he loved :) (the juice anyway).

Yes there is a window ...its a front facing spare bedroom on the second floor and I have the blinds a third way up and I've had a white empty computer desk up against the wall that is the perfect height for sitting and looking out :) Oreo did it all the time when he was using the room :). There's a big bunk bed futon in here for him to lay on or duck and hide under but this time when I came in he was just laying on the floor looking at me :)

So you think with the unneutered fighting Oreo and Midnight did they might never get along, or because they're neutered now they might get along?? Oreo was so possessive of me and clingy at first and still is somewhat although he has relaxed that, but recognizing Midnight, I don't know what that would stir up in him ...I think it would be on his end, not so much Midnights, but I might be wrong about that too..maybe Midnight would have more problem....and what about my other 3 kitties with ANOTHER new housemate a few months after Oreo? They are my babies since they were born and I don't want anything to change our relationship.

Oh well, I'm just letting Midnight adjust to the room life for now :)

Last edited:

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

FRANK   (8 1/2 yrs old)                                                RAMS     (6 years old)                                                   TIGGER  (3  1/2 yrs old)

THIS IS MY BUNCH!!!   LOL 

Frank is a loving goofball, don't let that serious look fool you lol   These are just the best face shots I have.  Here are more accurate ones,

well, I'm waiting....  lol

bedroom photo ;)

no caption needed :)

Last edited:

ericy5150

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to move this thread away from Stray and Ferals I guess because I"M KEEPING MIDNIGHT!!  :):):):)   Midnight has done SO WELL this last week in his room :)  He purrs and jumps up on the bed with me and lays on me and sleeps and lets me rub and pet him and plays with shoelaces and his catnip cigar....he's let me pick him up twice already and this morning jumped up on a chair I was sitting in and laid on my lap :)   He hardly makes a sound he's so laid back and I've let him out in the loft a couple times and this morning I forgot Tigger was in the other spare bedroom and Midnight saw him and Tigger hissed a little but they were very good!    Midnight then went downstairs for a minute but quickly went back up and Tigger was in his room nosing around lol   Midnight didn't do anything when he saw Tigger in his room..there was some apprehension but is was a very good first meeting :)  I had intended Frank to be the first meeting cat since he's the most easy going, but I was very encouraged by this morning.    My biggest worry is Oreo since his history fighting with Midnight.   I'm gonna take this sloooooooooow lol.    I have to go out of town on March 15th thru 20th and I wonder if I can go slow enough to keep Midnight in his room during that trip...I have a friend who feeds/checks on my babies while I'm gone and I'm going to have them over to meet midnight a couple times before I go.  I just don't think things will be ready for Midnight to be out in the house with everyone while I'm gone.

Also, when the sanctuary worked on Midnight, I don't know if they tested him for anything and he went pee in one of the other litterboxes in the loft. I've put that box away and will replace it with fresh litter, but do I need to subject Midnight to a carrier ride to the vet for test?? :(:(

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful news!

Yes, I think if you want be entirely sure it is best to let Midnight get all the usual tests before he meets the residents for real.

If the tests are negative, hurray and go on.

If not - you will make plans from there.  Although even a "positive" result doesnt need to be any doom, in many variations they can still live together in the same home. So dont panic!   Consult us again before you do anything.

(some vets are quick to propose pts, but dont let him rush you)

Good luck!   *vibes*

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHAT GORGEOUS furkids you have :love: :love: AW OREO - what a good looking boy!!!! :rub: AND Midnight - love the white spot on his chest. He is really adorable. FANTASTIC NEWS that you are keeping him. OF course, you can still keep this thread going here in this forum. :lol3: I would absolutely keep Midnight in his safe room during your trip in March. For sure, I know you might feel bad - but it is better for him rather than having to board him OR worse if you just leave the cats unsupervised. If Midnight and Oreo have a bad episode, that could damage any progress you will be making up to that time before you leave. Good plan :nod: and if you have someone coming to care for the cats - then all will be just fine!!!! Keep the updates coming :clap::clap::D

Last edited: