Help! I have a feral stray sick kitten

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a feral momma kitty who comes to my porch for food. She had kitten. They are 1 month old. Two look very sick and tiny. I was able to grab one before it got dark. It’s eyes are matted shut and look awful. Also, it’s breathing is very wheezy. Is there anything I can do until I can call our shelter tomorrow. There is another sick one but I can’t get it, he’s hiding in a huge pile of brush and lumber behind our house.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Members with more expertise than I have will come and give you answers.

Meanwhile for right now - a damp washcloth or rag to gently wipe some of the gunk away from the kitten's eyes. Take kitten into bathroom with you and run hot water in shower so steamy air can maybe loosen and ease its breathing.

If the kitten cannot smell it may not want to eat. Cow's milk is not good for kittens or cats. If you have any canned cat food mix a spoonful with some warm water to make it soupy. See if kitten will lap it up from a plate.

Good luck. Do let us know how the kitten does, if you can rescue the other kitten, what the shelter tells you in the morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Members with more expertise than I have will come and give you answers.

Meanwhile for right now - a damp washcloth or rag to gently wipe some of the gunk away from the kitten's eyes. Take kitten into bathroom with you and run hot water in shower so steamy air can maybe loosen and ease its breathing.

If the kitten cannot smell it may not want to eat. Cow's milk is not good for kittens or cats. If you have any canned cat food mix a spoonful with some warm water to make it soupy. See if kitten will lap it up from a plate.

Good luck. Do let us know how the kitten does, if you can rescue the other kitten, what the shelter tells you in the morning.
I tried with the wet food idea but it’s so scared and huddled back in the corner of the carrier. It is meowing now so that is a little bit better because he was just letting out slight wheezing earlier. I’m keeping him inside and warm. Hopefully it’s okay until I can get it some vet help!

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep the kitten warm for now! If you can access goats milk or kitten formula you can attempt feeding that too. The advice by C catapault is good information. Can you get mom and both of the other babies? It sounds like they could all use some help.
I definitely am keeping this little guy or gal warm. I wish I could have gotten all those sweet kitties. Momma is very feral but has recently warmed up to me. She even rubbed against me yesterday! I could not believe it. I’d love to get her to a shelter as well.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try covering the carrier with a light cloth so it’s like a little cave for the kitten. A bit of a safe haven and quiet and maybe it will calm down enough to eat.

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try covering the carrier with a light cloth so it’s like a little cave for the kitten. A bit of a safe haven and quiet and maybe it will calm down enough to eat.
Yes! I did do that so that it feels safe. My other kitties are curious (I have 2 young kitties) but they are both staying away like they know it is scared. I just wish there was more I could do. But I think that’s all I can do for now. 🙏🏻

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the mom rubbed against you then you have a great chance of getting her. I often use a carrier to feed ferals and strays. She may lead her babies in there to eat as well. If you can get that to happen you may be able to just shut them all in to rescue them. Sometimes it takes awhile to gain enough trust to get close and shut them in. You want to make sure to get the little ones though. If the shelter can lend you a trap, you may have an even faster way to get them all. Thank you for caring! The wheezing and eye issues mean the babies need vet help.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giving the little one a safe place with quiet, food, water,a place to potty and warmth is a lot! Keep it isolated from your kitties right now. The kitten will know they are there and they will probably scare it. You also need to keep it isolated because of possible eye or respiratory problems. You’re actually doing a lot even though it may feel like you wish more for the baby. If it has a little towel in the carrier to snuggle, that may comfort the baby too. The baby is safer now than it has ever been before. That’s huge.

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the mom rubbed against you then you have a great chance of getting her. I often use a carrier to feed ferals and strays. She may lead her babies in there to eat as well. If you can get that to happen you may be able to just shut them all in to rescue them. Sometimes it takes awhile to gain enough trust to get close and shut them in. You want to make sure to get the little ones though. If the shelter can lend you a trap, you may have an even faster way to get them all. Thank you for caring! The wheezing and eye issues mean the babies need vet help.
Thank you!!! That makes me happy to hear from someone that it sounds promising. I’ve been really working on gaining her trust for several months. She did not mind me grabbing her baby today. She still hisses at me but I don’t think she can help it. She let me pet her once but not for very long.

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Giving the little one a safe place with quiet, food, water,a place to potty and warmth is a lot! Keep it isolated from your kitties right now. The kitten will know they are there and they will probably scare it. You also need to keep it isolated because of possible eye or respiratory problems. You’re actually doing a lot even though it may feel like you wish more for the baby. If it has a little towel in the carrier to snuggle, that may comfort the baby too. The baby is safer now than it has ever been before. That’s huge.
Thank you! My husband is so grumpy about me bringing it in but I will do anything to save an animal! I did put some comfy towels in to snuggle along with some water and some soupy wet food. And yes, keeping my other kitties away for sure. They do not wish to be near it anyway.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have brought in a lot of strays and ferals. A mom cat struggles to provide for babies. She may understand that you are helping. The gratitude shown by cats like that is amazing. They are very intelligent creatures. There are things you can do to encourage the mom. Keep feeding her and sit as near as you can while she eats. Sit on the ground if possible and be quiet and still. I even lay on the ground to let them see I am making myself vulnerable and demonstrating my complete trust in them. Try to get her to eat as near as possible. If needed, move the food closer each day or practice puttingbit in the back of a carrier as you sit near. If she trusts eating in the carrier near you, you can simply shut her in to get her. Chances are, she will bring the babies to eat with her. I use Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food that is slightly warm to lure them in.
I’m sorry your husband I’m not happy about it. I’ve been in that position too. Name the baby after him? Lol I found that giving the husband credit for contributing or letting him know “Oh look! The kitty responds to you even more than me!” Helps! Lol Bravo for helping the baby regardless of anything else. We do what we can. :heartshape: Sometimes we are all that stands between life or death for these kitties. Life is priceless.

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
**UPDATE**
kitten survived in my house overnight!!! Took it to the shelter in the morning. She’s getting breathing treatments and medication for her eyes. The shelter did a live Facebook post of it and it’s eyes are open!
The next day, momma kitty moved her kittens☹☹☹ I have not seen them. She does not hang around as much but has come to eat. The weather outside is turning cold again this week. Blaming myself for not getting those kittens. I want to get momma kitty in for the shelters catch/release spay but do I want to take her away from her kittens right now???? Not sure what to do!?

Kitten girl (aka Keira)

Kitten girl(Used to be Kitten girl Aka Keira)
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a feral momma kitty who comes to my porch for food. She had kitten. They are 1 month old. Two look very sick and tiny. I was able to grab one before it got dark. It’s eyes are matted shut and look awful. Also, it’s breathing is very wheezy. Is there anything I can do until I can call our shelter tomorrow. There is another sick one but I can’t get it, he’s hiding in a huge pile of brush and lumber behind our house.
I have Dealt with the same thing but they weren't sick if you don't know how to nurse the kitten try to keep it warm 😊 they say get a box I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a plastic one and put a heating pad under a blanket but make a space where they can move off. for the kitten you haven't caught the best way is to use a cage like the ones where they step on the pad thing and the door shits down trapping them or you can use a normal cage the first we were catching a cat we used a normal cage tied a long rope to it put it in our yard with the food we would feed it then once it started eating we would pull the rope then come lock the cage so if you do that with the kitten depending on how old I would suggest getting a milk replacer for him and putting it in their maybe something else like tuna or something he can smell put if he needs milk don’t let him eat it

Kitten girl (aka Keira)

Young Cat
Purraise
I tried with the wet food idea but it’s so scared and huddled back in the corner of the carrier. It is meowing now so that is a little bit better because he was just letting out slight wheezing earlier. I’m keeping him inside and warm. Hopefully it’s okay until I can get it some vet help!
Something might of been wrong with the mother maybe she wasn’t able to feed them milk they need her milk to survive

Kitten girl (aka Keira)

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! That makes me happy to hear from someone that it sounds promising. I’ve been really working on gaining her trust for several months. She did not mind me grabbing her baby today. She still hisses at me but I don’t think she can help it. She let me pet her once but not for very long.
[/Q
my wild cat that still gives birth we had one of the cages I talked about and she somehow escaped because she is fast and it’s been about like 2 or 3 years and she’s the only cat who hasn’t warmed up to us

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it’s going to get cold, it’s important to try and get Mom with the babies. Mom will soon be going back into heat too. She may be hiding out because of weather or because her heat cycle is coming around. Keep feeding her ans spend as much time as you can just sitting outside and watching mom. If you can feed her inside something that can be closed, carrier or trap, once you get her confidence as that being a safe feeding place, she’ll bring the kittens. Patience will pay. Don’t blame yourself for anything. You did great! Don’t give up! The chances are that they are watching you from nearby.