Help, I found a feral kitten.

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She or he was in my backyard and seems to be about 4 weeks old. She is very feral and acts and reacts like she has never been around or handled by humans. Right now, I have her in a box with food and water and I covered that box with a towel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry John. Yes, I will get her vaccinated and spayed/neutered. it's just that I have zero experience with feral cats and she is extremely feral. I have no idea what to do right now.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! She is beautiful! Thank you for saving her! I have worked with a great many ferals and since she is young it should be just a matter of time, patience and going through a process with her. Most important way to start is a vet check. She may have fleas or worms since she was outside and she will need immunizations as well as spaying.
As for socializing her, she needs some place to stay warm and feel safe. I usually start them out in a small bathroom and use a box or carrier as their safe place to hide. A small room is best because you don’t want her to hide from you. I like to use the Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food for teaching. I warm it just a little and offer them a little on a plate. Each time I offer some I sit on the floor with them and begin to move the plate closer to me. When she is used to you being there and talking softly to her you just keep moving the plate closer to you until you can place it in your lap. Let her climb onto you a few times and then start to attempt touching her. A soft rub down the side. Do this until she is not frightened bu it and increase to petting as you can. Sometimes they are wary of our hands so you can use a soft hairbrush to stroke her or even a wand toy. You can also let her lay on some old socks which will pick up her scent and then use those to try and pet her or get her to play with them. During play kittens often lose track of where they run and can be led to run across your legs or lap. Any contact you can get her to do will get you started towards trust. Sit with her quietly and often. Speak softly but don’t stare into her face as cats see that as intimidating. I also like to let kittens sleep with me if you can have hiding places blocked off. Especially under the bed. Sleeping with the kitten in the bed often leads to you waking up with a baby snuggled against you. There are a great many tips and techniques to socializing a little one like that and I am sure many others will be coming in to offer more help.
I didn’t ask how she is eating and drinking. Is she taking solid food okay? Wet cat food helps keep her hydrated. The baby food will help too and if needed you can add a bit of water. Please keep us updated and write back with any questions.
BYW. Love the photo. We always love seeing kitties here.
You came to the right place for help! Welcome to you and the baby! :welcomesign:
You are a kitty hero for rescuing and saving her life. Thank you again for doing that and being a caring human!

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. I rolled up a hand towel and started petting him (it's a boy), when he was used to the towel I moved the towel away from my fingers and pet him. Slowly, I took the towel away to pet him with my hand and now he's as tame as any other kitten. He is so young and that made it much easier. The whole process took about an hour. The little thing just loves being pet now and he's curious and wants to explore.
I have been feeding him food from my fingertips, because he doesn't seem to know how to eat out of a bowl. He's still wobbly when he walks, so I'm assuming he's 4 weeks. How old do they have to be in order to be neutered?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. I rolled up a hand towel and started petting him (it's a boy), when he was used to the towel I moved the towel away from my fingers and pet him. Slowly, I took the towel away to pet him with my hand and now he's as tame as any other kitten. He is so young and that made it much easier. The whole process took about an hour. The little thing just loves being pet now and he's curious and wants to explore.
I have been feeding him food from my fingertips, because he doesn't seem to know how to eat out of a bowl. He's still wobbly when he walks, so I'm assuming he's 4 weeks. How old do they have to be in order to be neutered?

Congratulations! What a sweet looking guy.

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the top pic he was hissing, growling, licking his lips, & attacking anything that came close to him. Now he's a little purr ball. But he has not pottied today & Im a little worried.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to kind of show him how to scratch around in the litter box with his front paws. He may be a little nervous still but if he does not go then besides a vet check you can use a lukewarm damp cotton ball to , very gently wipe up his bottom towards his tail several times. If he is very young his Mom would be washing him back there to stimulate him to poop. You can use another cotton ball to wipe his tummy too. I mentioned adding a little water to his food earlier because sometimes they need the extra liquid to help them go potty. Do you know when he will be seeing a vet? There are other things that can be done if you have to schedule an appointment but he still doesn’t go but most likely he will. Sometimes adding a few leaves or some grass to the litter box will help them understand that is the place to go. It seems more like what they were used to outside.
You are doing a fantastic job with him! I’m so happy he is already in love with you. Ferals become totally devoted to you once they trust you. All of my kitties started out as ferals and they are all wonderful kitties. Using that towel was perfect! When you get to the vet , they can give you lots of helpful information about the kitten. Age, food requirements and other details. Just make sure he has a warm place to cuddle up and he should be fine tonight. I’m really looking forward to hearing all about him if you can keep us updated. He may have been hissing and scared in the photo but he is absolutely precious! Bravo to you and kitten for doing so well! :clap2:

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to explain that I have an issue finding a vet. I just moved to the area and I'm deaf. I can't call around to vets because I can't talk on the phone. Tomorrow, I'm going to go to the shelter I adopted a cat from a couple months ago and ask them for a vet reference. (I can read lips and speak.) It's can be a pain having to do everything in person when others can just pick up the phone.
I did add water to the food, but he wouldn't eat it. He tries to nurse on me. I don't think he was weaned yet from his mother.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do understand how difficult it is when the rest of the world functions based on hearing or sight. My daughter could not see or speak and my vision is going. I’ve been partially deaf for a very long time. It takes patience on your part and being creative. Going to that shelter is a great idea. If they don’t help you, write me back and we can help you locate someone in your area. You can check references and vets if you can do a google search in your area too.

As for feeding the kitten, you can soak a cloth in water with diluted food as well as using kitten formula. He should suck it from the cloth. I know of someone here who helps lots of very young kittens and I will put her Id here to see if she will come and offer you more help. She’s very good with little ones. catsknowme catsknowme Will understand your difficulties getting a vet too.
We are here to help, you just let us know of anything we can do to assist. Let me know if he will suck food. You can put wet food on your finger tip too. Just get it in as best you can until we get more help writing in. :heartshape:

That photo is so beautiful! I’m in love with that baby. Others will be too. I’m so glad you found him!

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As soon as the pet stores open in the morning, I'm getting some kitten formula, a bottle, and some kitten food. Other supplies as well, as the cat litter boxes I have are too big for him to get in.

Taphie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to make sure he ate, so I mixed a little canned cat food and high calorie nutritional gel for cats with warm water. I made it soupy and dipped a folded corner of a dish towel, dipped it in the mixture, and offered it to him. Boy, did he go to town! Then I got a cotton ball with warm water and wiped his bottom with it. He rolled over on his back and spread his back legs so I could rub his belly with it.