Help i dont know what to do

sk002rbryn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is justin and this is my 4 month old Meepers. So I guess I'll get right to it on saturday morning meepers came inside from our backyard (we have a fenced backyard and two young cats one 8 months and one 4 and they occasionally go out and play but by no means are they outdoor cats) Meapers came in and immediately started meowing really loud trying to get our attention and we noticed him limping. we are pretty sure he fell out of a tree because I cant figure out what else could have happened.

We talked to an emergency vet and they said to keep him confined and bring him to normal vet on monday. Our vet got us in on Tuesday as that was the soonest they could fit us in.

*sidenote* [I really wish I had found this forum sooner because it would have been nice to been able to share and get support when I lost my last cat bean 1 year ago. I mention that because I wasn't ready for a new per yet. I hadn't finished grieving from beans loss as it was very traumatic and I never wanted to go through it again... anyway a friend of mine asked if I could foster a female cat of his while he was moving and it turned out she was pregnant hence where my kittens came from 2 litters.]

Anyway back to Meapers, upon examination of meapers at the vet (bear creek veterinarian in colorado springs) she thought she should do xrays because she thought his growth plates may be damaged they gave me an estimate of between 400 and 700 and I agreed knowing that it would be literally every penny I had if it was the higher amount but what can you do. They told me they'd contact me in a little while and let me know what they saw. About an hour later I get a call and they inform me his femur is broken and that they would need to refer me to orthopedic surgeon or amputate.

The cost of amputation is 1500 on top of the 600 they ended up charging me today and I am still waiting to hear back from orthopedic surgeon but I imagine it will be alot more than that cause the amputation would be done in house. I have used nearly all my money now and I dont want my poor little guy to be in pain nor to have a full healthy life.

I'm going to try and attach the xrays maybe someone can tell me if they warrant amputation. I've also read that if I keep him on cage rest he will heal by himself. Is this correct and is it humane? They gave me pain meds for him and his demeanor is great he doesn't even think hes hurt. He still tries to play even though hes in small area. but I know how well cats hide pain.

I'm working on starting a GoFundMe and I will attach a link in the morning. Please give me some advice and help to share the gofundme so my little kitty doesn't lose his leg. Thank you

Oh yeah! Words of encouragement greatly appreciated as well.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site although I am sorry that your present situation is what brought you here.

Even if you post the xrays, none of us can tell you specifically if an amputation is warranted or not. All I can say is that with a serious break that may not heal properly, the cat could be left with a partially useless, awkward limb. Now, I am not saying that is the case, but you will probably have to seek out another opinion, possibly, to see if another doctor thinks that the leg can heal properly. If an amputation is done, it has to be the entire leg as a dog or cat cannot be left with a partially dangling appendage.

I have a three legged GSD, although he lost his leg to melanoma and not an injury. Dogs and cats, especially young ones, recovery very well from amputation and go on to live completely normal lives.

There is no harm in speaking to the orthopedic surgeon, although there might be a consultation fee...hopefully not. Ask that person about the chances of the leg healing. Despite the fact that they are a surgeon, it is a valid question, and they should give you an honest answer. Don't hesitate to bring up the fact that this is a financial burden for you but that you want to help this kitten.

In this area, people also put requests for veterinary care support on nextdoor.com. Are there any rescues you can reach out to who might have connections, even to doctors who work with them who might be more reasonable with price?

tripawds.com is a specific website for dogs and cats who are amputees.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Thank you for trying to help this kitten. Please let us know what happens.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Justin and Meapers!!! You have beautiful kittens. There is a list of financial resources on this site (I cannot remember where to find it) and perhaps someone could link it here.

Also, see if there are organizations in your area that help with financial situations such as this (we have several in our area - St. Louis).

I agree with fionasmom fionasmom about talking to the ortho and also possibly getting a second opinion if possible.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Meeps! However, I can tell you that if amputation is required, he (especially at his age) will recover quickly, and never miss that leg at all! Kittens do VERY well adjusting. You'll have a much harder time getting used to it than he will.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
While I can't really offer advice on the cat itself.. because I've never been in your situation, what I can tell you is that if you make a gofundme, please make sure you include those photos and any vet statements you can (make sure you blank out personal info like your address, etc, though.) People are more likely to donate if they can see the problem/feel comfortable that they aren't donating to a scammer because sadly so many people try to scam with gofundmes that most people will overlook one that lacks photo evidence as well.

If this is info you already knew, I'm sorry! Just wanted to let you know so that you hopefully get the help you and your kitty need <3