Help! How to know if these kittens are abandoned+ what to do?

Maya567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I found these kittens In my neighborhood, very close to my house. I only found them because I could hear some meowing, and the place they are in is not too secluded. They were very frightening at first, but they’re not scared of me at all anymore. I’ve left them alone for a day but checked up on them every few hours to see if their mom has come back. I figured they are not abandoned because they aren’t that young and I thought maybe they would have died much sooner if the mom has actually abandoned them. I’m not really sure anymore because I haven’t seen another cat in that specific area. I have seen an orange and black cat (same color as them) who has clearly given birth recently very close though, just a street forward. I can’t tell for sure if it’s their mom because we do have a lot of strays in my country.

can someone please tell me what they think the age of these kittens are? They are strong enough to be able to climb up my arm to my shoulder and also to climb halfway up my leg. They also have teeth, sharp enough where I started bleeding when one was eating out off my finger. Their eyes are still blue. They’re very small but most stray cats here are small even if they are fully grown. They can eat normal food as I fed them chicken which they didn’t seem to have a problem with.

also what is the best thing to do in this situation? I don’t want to move them if there is any chance the mother is still around because then she can continue to feed them and protect them. I can’t bring them home due to my family having our own pet cat being very aggressive and terrified of other cats. However we have had many cats that have lived/given birth in our garden before and we feed them every day. I was hoping to find the mother so I could bring her into the garden then bring her kittens to her. However now I’m not sure whether to keep waiting or to bring the kittens into the garden by themselves or what else I can do.

the corona virus situation is really horrible at the moment in my country and keeps getting worse. Everything is shut/restricted and my parents are both extremely vulnerable so we only go grocery shopping every 2/3 weeks. I don’t know if any of the animal shelters/rescues are open now (we don’t have many at all and they don’t have capacity especially now because people have been dumping their pets out of fear they could make them sick).

sorry for the long post or if anything is confusing. Can someone please let me know what I should do?
(I have videos of them but not sure how to attach them. They are now very loud and always come down to greet me when they see me, which I’m worried about as i don’t want them to get lost from that area)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maya567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also I don’t know how relevant this is but they had the same amount of energy yesterday evening as today evening, meaning they could walk and meow and climb etc. does that mean the mother has been feeding them? I’ve only gave them water and a bit of chicken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maya567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they are eating hard food they are 6 weeks old and they look extremely skinny. I would honestly take them inside and feed them high quality kitten food.
Thank you. I thought they might be younger. Is it not too soon for them to be away from their mother? Would they survive without her?

equicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree they look about 5-6 weeks. They can safely leave the mother if they are going to get proper nutrition. If they are left another week or so its likely they will start to roam and you wont see them again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Alley Cat Allies sends out charts repeatedly to help age a kitten and their guideline is that the kitten is under 9 weeks if the eyes are blue. These guys look 5 or 6 to me as well. I agree that if you can provide safety for them you should as they will quickly start to move around and probably become lost.