Help! Healthy Himalayan In Danger Of Euthanasia In Quebec

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Rocky is very particular too. He has to have 1 box for pee and one for poo. It took me a while to figure that out. Once I did, no more accidents. Good luck with this beautiful girl!
You know, I'm totally stumped. She pees just fine in the box, and even poops there most of the time. But there's a folded up old blanket in the room, and I'll occasionally find a poop right in the middle of it. Nowhere else! When I'm home, she has access to the whole apartment... but there's either poop in the box, or right on the blanket. It's so weird. :confused2:
My Maine Coon keeps his business separate as well. My vet explained that the reason is that the ammonia in the pee increases the smell of the poop thus alerting predators to the cat's presence. My ferals seem to have separate areas in the yard. I notice that they like to pee near a peach tree but they poop near the wood pile. Also, cats prefer to have the water dish kept away from the food. Wild cats typically consume their kill away from where they sleep and away from their water source.

sjpennytoum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon keeps his business separate as well. My vet explained that the reason is that the ammonia in the pee increases the smell of the poop thus alerting predators to the cat's presence. My ferals seem to have separate areas in the yard. I notice that they like to pee near a peach tree but they poop near the wood pile. Also, cats prefer to have the water dish kept away from the food. Wild cats typically consume their kill away from where they sleep and away from their water source.
Huh, that's interesting to note! But I'm not sure it's Chanelle's case, because she will do both numbers 1 and 2 in either box, then 2 on the blanket...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't at all unusual for a declawed cat to use a soft piece of cloth. What is unusual is that she also uses both boxes! Maybe her feet hurt more at one time than another, and that's when she heads for the blanket?

sjpennytoum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It isn't at all unusual for a declawed cat to use a soft piece of cloth. What is unusual is that she also uses both boxes! Maybe her feet hurt more at one time than another, and that's when she heads for the blanket?
Her poor feet are pretty sensitive. :(

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That may be the answer to the blanket, then...when her feet are especially sore, she goes looking for something more comfy on them. It is, as I said, pretty common with declawed cats. Puppy pads in a box might help on those days.

sjpennytoum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That may be the answer to the blanket, then...when her feet are especially sore, she goes looking for something more comfy on them. It is, as I said, pretty common with declawed cats. Puppy pads in a box might help on those days.
Good idea! I picked up a few puppy pads to test that idea out... We'll see what happens :)

Just for fun, here's another video:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHAT a fun girl! If Hekitty and my landlord would allow another cat, I'd have her in a heartbeat!

sjpennytoum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Took Chanelle for her booster shot yesterday. She's now all up to date and ready to travel!

I've mostly solved her litter issues, too. I put puppy pads on top of the folded blanket, and she uses those whenever I don't get to clean her litter box in time :)

I'm checking with a couple people who were interested in adopting... If they aren't anymore, I'm going to create a new thread here on TheCatSite and get in touch with a couple of local organizations. I'll be doing my best to find her a loving, patient home that is willing to manage her quirks. She is a wonderful cat and she deserves it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Took Chanelle for her booster shot yesterday. She's now all up to date and ready to travel!

I've mostly solved her litter issues, too. I put puppy pads on top of the folded blanket, and she uses those whenever I don't get to clean her litter box in time :)

I'm checking with a couple people who were interested in adopting... If they aren't anymore, I'm going to create a new thread here on TheCatSite and get in touch with a couple of local organizations. I'll be doing my best to find her a loving, patient home that is willing to manage her quirks. She is a wonderful cat and she deserves it!
Thank you so much for working with her! The workaround isn’t too bad.

sjpennytoum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sjpennytoum sjpennytoum Any potential adopters yet? How is she?
Hello! She's doing good, she still follows me around my apartment :) I had to give her a collar with a little bell... too many times I turned around and she surprised me at my feet! She's still using both her litter boxes and the puppy pads, too.

I've been SUPER busy at work and haven't started actively looking for adopters yet (the potential ones I'd spoken to couldn't take her after all). I'm actually really nervous to start the official process, because I really want to find her the best, most patient home possible. I don't want her to be adopted by people like her old owner, who just want a pretty cat without being willing to work with her...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! She's doing good, she still follows me around my apartment :) I had to give her a collar with a little bell... too many times I turned around and she surprised me at my feet! She's still using both her litter boxes and the puppy pads, too.

I've been SUPER busy at work and haven't started actively looking for adopters yet (the potential ones I'd spoken to couldn't take her after all). I'm actually really nervous to start the official process, because I really want to find her the best, most patient home possible. I don't want her to be adopted by people like her old owner, who just want a pretty cat without being willing to work with her...
Agreed. We want the next home to be her forever home. Being up front about her potty issue and charging a reasonable but not cheap adoption fee should weed out a lot of people we don't want. But definitely good to take your time. Thank you for taking care of her.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm tickled that the puppy pads did the trick! They're pure gold for declawed cats with litter issues, it seems.

I'm happier than I can express that this baby girl is FINALLY with someone who gives a hoot about her, and who is willing to take the time to find the right forever home! She definitely is NOT an "any port in a storm" kinda gal!

sjpennytoum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Made an account just to ask - how is Chanelle? Does she have a home yet? Foster fail? :wink: sjpennytoum sjpennytoum
Chanelle is doing very well! Not a foster fail, though. I've had several interested people, but nothing's worked out so far. I've reached out to Himalayan and Persian groups on Facebook to see who I can find there.