Help, Have New Cat For 3 Months, Won't Leave Bedroom/under Bed

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all. Long story short: we got a new cat about three months about from a rescue, he's 2.5 years old, absolutely loving but an incredible scardy cat. He has never left our bedroom since we got him and is always underneath the bed except for once and a while when we are around with him.

I decided to reach out to the rescue woman to see if he just needs to warm up to the place and she told me that in the two years she had him he never left her spare room and made it his little place.

We just got a cat tree for him to warm up a little and feel more confident.

Should we board up under the bed to get him out in the room more? We think that may freak him out and getting him out will be a pain. Also, how do you block under a bed? 2x4s?

What should I do? How should I proceed? This is really tough news to take.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been through a tremendously trying time of change, which all cats hate and fear. Don't block where he is feeling safe, dragging him out will traumatize him even more. He may have stayed in that previous owner's spare room because of conflicts with other cats. Sit quietly in the same room with him and just read or talk. Always have a nice treat laying nearby so he associates this with you. It may take MONTHS for him to warm up to you, but it will happen, I've had them take up to a year, but that was a feral and he needed taming too. If he is your only cat, if at all possible bring in a very young male companion, it will show him that you are nice to the kitten and will assure him. Kittens have a way of drawing everyone out, and two are really no more bother or expensive to raise than one. You will be blessed for giving him a chance, have confidence that it will happen, the rewards are so much sweeter when they are harder to attain. all teh luck!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe you should remove him from under the bed, yet create another safe hiding spot for him that is more out in the open. You can use a cat tree with a hiding box, a cat carrier, or other hiding boxes. When I first bring a new cat into my home and use a safe room, I always put the bed flat on the floor or pick the bed up off the floor so the cat cannot get under it. You will also need to block behind and under other pieces of furniture. It helps to get on the floor at the cats level and see where a cat can squeeze to fit. Cats can squeeze themselves into very small places.

It will be very hard to work with a cat that has been under a bed for 3 months and not coming out at all. I have had to remove pieces of furniture when working with a cat that hides all day.

Here are some tips as well as a link to article that might help.

Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

No direct eye contact. Feral cats find this very threatening. Keep your gaze over the top of their head or look down.

Talk softly. You want them to get used to your voice. Carry on a conversation or even read aloud from a book or magazine.

Sit on the ground so you are not looming over the cat. You also want to keep your movements slow.

Food rewards are the way to a ferals heart. Find a special yummy treat such as plain cooked chicken or turkey, salmon, tuna or sardines. I would start by giving them a very small plate with some of the special treat. I would then have small pieces beside me and begin to toss the treat towards the cat. Each toss I would get the treat a little closer to me. I would do this activity each day. After a few weeks, the cats are often getting quite close as long as you keep your movements slow and gaze down.

A very special food reward I stumbled across is Gerber Stage 2 baby food. Cats love the chicken or turkey. The jar is very small with a blue label. The ingredients are chicken or turkey and water, no added spices. I started with a bit on a plate and as time went by, I offered it on a spoon. When working with young ferals or kittens, they can often be coaxed to lick this off your fingers. Just remember this is a treat reward and not a meal replacement.

Remember that when working with ferals it is often 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just take it slow and steady. Also celebrate the small advancements.

Jackson Galaxy of Animal Planets, “My Cat From Hell” series is the cat guru. He has a line of flower essences that are specially designed for cat behaviors. He even has one for feral cats. I have used this essence with great success on all of my feral cats.

Here is an article that helps with working with shy/unsocialized cats. Thank you for wanting to help this cat.
Socializing Cats: How to Socialize a Very Shy or Fearful Cat

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe you should remove him from under the bed, yet create another safe hiding spot for him that is more out in the open. You can use a cat tree with a hiding box, a cat carrier, or other hiding boxes. When I first bring a new cat into my home and use a safe room, I always put the bed flat on the floor or pick the bed up off the floor so the cat cannot get under it. You will also need to block behind and under other pieces of furniture. It helps to get on the floor at the cats level and see where a cat can squeeze to fit. Cats can squeeze themselves into very small places.

It will be very hard to work with a cat that has been under a bed for 3 months and not coming out at all. I have had to remove pieces of furniture when working with a cat that hides all day.

Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

No direct eye contact. Feral cats find this very threatening. Keep your gaze over the top of their head or look down.

Talk softly. You want them to get used to your voice. Carry on a conversation or even read aloud from a book or magazine.

Sit on the ground so you are not looming over the cat. You also want to keep your movements slow.

Food rewards are the way to a ferals heart. Find a special yummy treat such as plain cooked chicken or turkey, salmon, tuna or sardines. I would start by giving them a very small plate with some of the special treat. I would then have small pieces beside me and begin to toss the treat towards the cat. Each toss I would get the treat a little closer to me. I would do this activity each day. After a few weeks, the cats are often getting quite close as long as you keep your movements slow and gaze down.

A very special food reward I stumbled across is Gerber Stage 2 baby food. Cats love the chicken or turkey. The jar is very small with a blue label. The ingredients are chicken or turkey and water, no added spices. I started with a bit on a plate and as time went by, I offered it on a spoon. When working with young ferals or kittens, they can often be coaxed to lick this off your fingers. Just remember this is a treat reward and not a meal replacement.

Remember that when working with ferals it is often 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just take it slow and steady. Also celebrate the small advancements.

Jackson Galaxy of Animal Planets, “My Cat From Hell” series is the cat guru. He has a line of flower essences that are specially designed for cat behaviors. He even has one for feral cats. I have used this essence with great success on all of my feral cats.

Here is an article that helps with working with shy/unsocialized cats. Thank you for wanting to help this cat.

That was a great article! I love how it tells you the different cat behaviors to look out for in determining whether the cat is making progress. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has been through a tremendously trying time of change, which all cats hate and fear. Don't block where he is feeling safe, dragging him out will traumatize him even more. He may have stayed in that previous owner's spare room because of conflicts with other cats. Sit quietly in the same room with him and just read or talk. Always have a nice treat laying nearby so he associates this with you. It may take MONTHS for him to warm up to you, but it will happen, I've had them take up to a year, but that was a feral and he needed taming too. If he is your only cat, if at all possible bring in a very young male companion, it will show him that you are nice to the kitten and will assure him. Kittens have a way of drawing everyone out, and two are really no more bother or expensive to raise than one. You will be blessed for giving him a chance, have confidence that it will happen, the rewards are so much sweeter when they are harder to attain. all teh luck!
@diandbob Thank you for this information. He's very comfortable around us. He'll come out and play and want to be pet for hours at a time without issue. He just is always so cautious and if any noise or sudden movements happen he dives under the bed.

You don't think we should block off the bed? I've heard numerous things on both sides for why we should to get him to be more comfortable outside his comfort zone. We have another 2 year old cat who is great to be around and just walks around in the bedroom sometimes eating the other cats food without causing issues.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally keep inaccessible hiding places covered up simply because if something were to happen and you needed to have access to the cat, you can. I'd create another safe hiding place for him that's also accessible for you too. You could put shoe boxes under the edge of the bed or something similar in size to the bed height to block it off. But be sure you have a some other place he can hide . Even a cardboard box turned on its side placed in a corner would probably suffice.
When I brought my new adult cats home I placed the mattress in their room on the floor so they couldn't hide under it. One found a tiny space behind the bed where the top matteress wasn't pushed back to the wall and she hid there for days, not eating or interacting at all until we finally pushed it back against the wall. Since then she's become more personable and is eating much better too.
Giving them a place to feel safe is very important but if their closen hiding place is too far out of reach I think it can sometimes be counter productive.

Last edited:

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally keep inaccessible hiding places covered up simply because if something were to happen and you needed to have access to the cat, you can. I'd create another safe hiding place for him that's also accessible for you too. You could put shoe boxes under the edge of the bed or something similar in size to the bed height. But be sure you have a some other place he can hid. Even a cardboard box turned on its side placed in a corner.
KatsPurrrsians KatsPurrrsians This is a good idea. So you are also under the belief that we should remove the cat from underneath the bed and try getting him into a box or somewhere comfy in the open? That may boost his confidence?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. After this many months with him still hiding I'd say definitely give it a try. Cats are so finicky by nature anyway and if it's left up to him he'll probably never come out. Socialization could do wonders for him, if done properly with lots of love and patience. It's a long process that takes a lot of patience (which it appears you definitely have after three months of him hiding lol).

Sorry about all the edits in my last post lol

Last edited:

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

shadowsrescue shadowsrescue Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. To add some more information the cat will come out from under the bed whenever we are in the bedroom with him. All we have to do is sit on the floor and he will come right out for some petting and play. If there is sudden movement, odd noise or we stand up and aren't sitting on the ground with him he will feel overwhelmed and hide under the bed.

So you do suggest that in order for him to gain confidence, become more comfortable with us/roaming the bedroom and someday leaving the room and socializing with the rest of the family we have to block off the bed and provide him with a substitute option in the form of a box? Our bedroom is pretty small so we don't have much room, unfortunately.

We can definitely try the feliway stuff to try getting him out of the bedroom as that is our main goal. We know it is not much of a quality of life is he's just stunk in a bedroom until he dies someday.

Any help is appreciated!

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. After this many months with him still hiding I'd say definitely give it a try.

Sorry about all the edits in my last post lol
KatsPurrrsians KatsPurrrsians Thank you and not a problem! Our room isn't very big so we want to block off everything we can so he can roam on top of our bed and dresser without feeling the need to hide in a moment's notice.

I know being in a bedroom isn't much for a quality of life for him so we want him out with our other cats and us!

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's willingly coming to you then I definitely think blocking off the bed is a good idea. He's obviously built up trust with you and your husband, so the next natural step would be to let him get completely comfortable in the bedroom without the option of retreating under the bed, then introduce the rest of the house and other family members and animals once he's showing all the signs of being ready and confident. I'd take it very slow with other cats and people. Once you block off the bed and give him an alternate (more accessible) hiding place (like a box or any small closed off cave-like spot since you said your room is small) . I'd keep your bedroom closed off until he shows interest and curiosity in the door and leaving the room. You don't want to push him too fast. Since he's obviously had quite a sheltered life with the foster mom it could take a while. So take baby steps.

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's willingly coming to you then I definitely think blocking off the bed is a good idea. He's obviously built up trust with you and your husband, so the next natural step would be to let him get completely comfortable in the bedroom without the option of retreating under the bed, then introduce the rest of the house and other family members and animals once he's showing all the signs of being ready and confident. I'd take it very slow with other cats and people. Once you block off the bed and give him an alternate (more accessible) hiding place (like a box or any small closed off cave-like spot since you said your room is small) . I'd keep your bedroom closed off until he shows interest and curiosity in the door and leaving the room. You don't want to push him too fast. Since he's obviously had quite a sheltered life with the foster mom it could take a while. So take baby steps.
KatsPurrrsians KatsPurrrsians We live with a few other people and cats but he's not scared of the people as long as you sit on the floor with him, he'll come out.

He has had interacting with the other cats and they have ranged from great to pretty bad depending on the cat.
Most times we keep the bedroom door closed which is where he feels safest but sometimes we open the door and have a screen/gate so he can see the other cats/world but no one can enter or leave the room.

What is a good way of blocking off the bed? Putting wood panels or something underneath it? Thanks for your help, it's been very informative and appreciated!

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd also block off underneath any other potential hiding spots that could be problematic or inaccessible for you, like dressers or shelves. I used stuffed animals ( we have kids and plenty of stuffed animals to spare lol )to block off the dresser in our spare room where my new cats are. Who knows what tiny objects could be under there and dangerous for kitty if they accidentally ingested something too. You could even use pillows. Wood paneling would work great too if it's not too much trouble.

And you're most welcome! I'm glad I could be if some assistance :)

Last edited:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps keep the door closed during his transition while blocking off the bed. The other cats and noises could scare him rather than build confidence. He'll likely respond much better with only familiar faces until he's fully comfortable in your room.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a great idea we used for our cats and they loved it! You could also put a cat bed inside with cat nip sprinkled on it. Even sprinkleing some cat nip around the room could entice him to be more active and explore other areas of the room once the bed is blocked off

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would put the bed directly on the floor if you can. It might involve removing it from the frame, but if that is easy, it might work best. I have tried blocking off under a bed with books, bricks, pillows, etc.. and each time the cat found a way to push the objects. You might try lots of pillows and then some bricks to secure.

Do have another hiding spot for him where he can feel safe if needed. Also lots of special treats during this transition.

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
KatsPurrrsians KatsPurrrsians The tshirt is a great idea and we'll make a note to block off under our dressers and in our closet so he can't panic and bury himself under there. I understand he's probably happy and safe under the bed but I know it's not ideal for a few reasons, emergencies being one of them. We'll attempt this over the weekend!

shadowsrescue shadowsrescue I can't say for sure if we are able to lower the bed as we use the underneath a lot for storage but we can certainly look into it! We have dressers he liked to crawl under and hide as well as behind the dresser so we'll have to block those off. If we remove being under the bed we'll have boxes or cat hoods for him to feel safe in.

We haven't found a good special treat he likes yet. We may need to put out a platter for him and see what he likes.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For treats you can try plain cooked chicken, canned tuna or salmon or many cats love Gerber stage 2 chicken or turkey baby food. It is sold in small glass jars with a blue label. The only ingredients are chicken/turkey and water (sometimes some modified food starch). Cats go crazy for it.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even a piece of lunch meat will work until you can get by the store (since most of us usually have that on hand).

Let us know how it goes! I'd love to hear if he liked the T-shirt box idea. Good luck! :vibes: