HELP! HAIRBALLS!

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long story short, my cat had PU surgery back in June and I think he's been experiencing problems with hairballs since then. The only way I can describe his problem is he does one normal poop either after dinner or late night, once he does that he's back & forth a few times overnight doing much smaller poops that are little watery not his "norm". Before surgery, he would poop after dinner and be done to the next night. The other morning I noticed his butt looked irritated from all the small watery poops.

I thought food allergies, ruled out lots of possibilities but it keeps happening. I bought Miralax thinking maybe caused by constipation but when I feed him that it seems to become even softer and doesn't stop this problem. I'm at the point I believe its related to hairballs. He is a long haired Maine Coon cat who I comb as much as he'll let me. He's only thrown up hair twice since June and I noticed when that happens he'll be good for a couple days.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any good hairball remedies? He ate laxatone for awhile and now won't touch it but that didn't seem to do the trick either. Vet tried B12 shots and that didn't work. He has Proviable-DC probiotic in his breakfast every morning. I started feeding him RC Fiber Select prescription dry food for some extra fiber and for help passing hairballs but I'm afraid of giving too much fiber.

Also, anyone have experience with egg yolk lecithin? I just bought Swanson's but haven't used it yet because I'm soooo afraid of giving him diarrhea.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my long haired cat gets constipation from hairballs I put a small pea size blob of vasaline on her nose to lick off and it works a treat. In saying that, its not something I would do on a regular basis. Luckily this only happens now and again but its a good emergency measure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have never used egg yolk lecithin but understand it is much less likely (than actual egg yolks) to cause diarrhea. Until other members come along and respond directly to your post, below is a link to previous posts related to using egg yolk lecithin, in case that might help any. The posts also have some other options discussed regarding hairballs.

Search Results for Query: egg yolk lecithin

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do give one of my cats egg yolks daily, but not egg yolk lecithin. I use actual egg yolks, which I purchase this way: https://www.foodfurlife.com/store/p9/EZ_Egg_Yolk.html#/. The cat I feed it to has issues with constipation, and even if I give him more than the designated dosage, he never gets loose stools. As a side note, I used to feed egg yolk lecithin, but went with this new option because it's a whole lot less expensive.

I also give both of my guys Vet's Best Digestive Aid and Hairball Relief chewable Tablets every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do give one of my cats egg yolks daily, but not egg yolk lecithin. I use actual egg yolks, which I purchase this way: https://www.foodfurlife.com/store/p9/EZ_Egg_Yolk.html#/. The cat I feed it to has issues with constipation, and even if I give him more than the designated dosage, he never gets loose stools. As a side note, I used to feed egg yolk lecithin, but went with this new option because it's a whole lot less expensive.

I also give both of my guys Vet's Best Digestive Aid and Hairball Relief chewable Tablets every day.
I actually just bought the Vets Best today, should be here tomorrow. I tried giving him the egg yolk lecithin earlier in some wet food, he walked away and wouldn’t eat it. Super bummed cause I was hoping that would cure some of this.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use egg yolk lecithin, but my cats seem to like it, or don't mind it, even my picky girl. It did cause a loose stool in my boy the first two times, so I lowered the dose and slowly increased it once he settled. It works absolutely great, my girl had her last hairball in August and nothing since, that's when I started giving it to them.

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use egg yolk lecithin, but my cats seem to like it, or don't mind it, even my picky girl. It did cause a loose stool in my boy the first two times, so I lowered the dose and slowly increased it once he settled. It works absolutely great, my girl had her last hairball in August and nothing since, that's when I started giving it to them.
My boy tried it today and walked away from his plate of wet food. Any particular food you put it in? I really want to get him to use it. I only tried 1/8 tsp of it

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy tried it today and walked away from his plate of wet food. Any particular food you put it in? I really want to get him to use it. I only tried 1/8 tsp of it
I add it to every type of canned and raw they eat. Did you mix it in or sprinkled on the food? Maybe try to mix it in the small amount of wet and then cover it with the rest of his wet, hoping he won't feel the scent and eat it by force of habit?
Or try egg yolk if you have eggs at home. Most cats love it.

LaLa12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I add it to every type of canned and raw they eat. Did you mix it in or sprinkled on the food? Maybe try to mix it in the small amount of wet and then cover it with the rest of his wet, hoping he won't feel the scent and eat it by force of habit?
Or try egg yolk if you have eggs at home. Most cats love it.
I’m gonna try again, I did mix it with fancy feast but I had some on the plate and it seemed like the minute he smelled it he was like no thanks. I’m gonna try again tomorrow, fingers crossed

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is the most popular malt paste for hairballs in Turkey. It's a German brand. My Hima licks it off the tube.

The same brand also has Gastrointestinal paste, taurin paste, multivitamin paste and more. I believe they also help with hairballs a bit due to their texture.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m gonna try again, I did mix it with fancy feast but I had some on the plate and it seemed like the minute he smelled it he was like no thanks. I’m gonna try again tomorrow, fingers crossed
My one guy who doesn't like egg yolks used to eat the Swanson's egg yolk lecithin because it's more like a fine powder rather than like dried egg yolks. He had no issue with it, however, I used to dissolve it in a little water before mixing it into his canned food. You might try that and see how it works. Also, I would give 1/2 capsule in the morning and 1/2 capsule at night. Never measured to see how much that was though. I'd try maybe giving less at first until your boy accepts it and then slowly increase. But I think my guy is one of the pickiest cats out there and he had no issues with it. (he has issues with just about everything else though , food wise:rolleyes2: )

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long story short, my cat had PU surgery back in June and I think he's been experiencing problems with hairballs since then. The only way I can describe his problem is he does one normal poop either after dinner or late night, once he does that he's back & forth a few times overnight doing much smaller poops that are little watery not his "norm". Before surgery, he would poop after dinner and be done to the next night. The other morning I noticed his butt looked irritated from all the small watery poops.

I thought food allergies, ruled out lots of possibilities but it keeps happening. I bought Miralax thinking maybe caused by constipation but when I feed him that it seems to become even softer and doesn't stop this problem. I'm at the point I believe its related to hairballs. He is a long haired Maine Coon cat who I comb as much as he'll let me. He's only thrown up hair twice since June and I noticed when that happens he'll be good for a couple days.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any good hairball remedies? He ate laxatone for awhile and now won't touch it but that didn't seem to do the trick either. Vet tried B12 shots and that didn't work. He has Proviable-DC probiotic in his breakfast every morning. I started feeding him RC Fiber Select prescription dry food for some extra fiber and for help passing hairballs but I'm afraid of giving too much fiber.

Also, anyone have experience with egg yolk lecithin? I just bought Swanson's but haven't used it yet because I'm soooo afraid of giving him diarrhea.
So I have a long haired Maine Coon mix, Romeo, who was throwing up hair balls. I asked this forum about new food or what could help and a lot of people mentioned making sure egg was in his food. I wound up switching to Whole Hearted Easy Digestion dry food for both my kittens. (They had been on Science Diet kitten kibble.) They get 1/2 cup morning and night and they get WholeHearted chicken kitten wet food twice per day. I also give Romeo Greenies hairball treats morning and night.
Well, it’s been about a month since the food change and can I tell you that Romeo hasn’t thrown up one hairball, neither one has sneezed and their eyes are no longer a little goopy? This food has probiotics in it, as well as egg. Both of them love this food and I can honestly say I think the food switch is the reason why he no longer throws up the hairballs. The egg and probiotics I feel have helped tremendously. I hope this info can help! 😊

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put mix the lecithin with a couple drops water, make a wet paste, put on my finger tip and both my cats lick it off like a treat