Help grooming my seriously long-haired cat??

saphira101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

I need some advice. My cat tumbleweed has really long fur, and I need to groom him quite often. The problems:

1. He hates being groomed! He'll kick me with his back feet and bite me. It turns into a two-person job.

2. Even then, I just can't get enough fur off! I do have a FURminator, but it doesn't seem to have long enough teeth. (I have the "small cat" longhair one) 

3. Because I can't get enough fur off, he  throws up very hairy barfs, and quite often.

My questions:

1. How can I get him to calm down?

2. Should I get a brush with longer teeth and then use that to get the majority of fur off, and then use the FURminator?

3. How can I get him to stop barfing up his fur? Should I get hairball control formula cat food??

Thank you,    ~Saphira

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L/H cats need combing - brushes don't get right through their coat, and furminators pull too much out. 

He probably needs combing all over every day as well.

If his coat is tangled and matted combing will hurt, it might be worth getting a lion cut and them starting afresh - using a soft brush until his coat starts to come back and then switching to a comb.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be combing, not brushing.

I use a Bamboo brand metal tooth comb (from walmart), the teeth rotate, so they don't tend to snag and pull.

As for getting him to calm down, the trick is to just do a little at a time, every day, get him tolerant and used to it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use a comb on our long haired domestic.  We're lucky that she enjoys it, but some don't.  

As already mentioned, start with short sessions and build up.  Offering treats as a reward might help if he is food motivated.

Also, catching him while he's kind of napping and half-sleepy may work too.  A lot of people do that when trimming their claws.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush Prego every morning while he's having his breakfast (perhaps I should try a comb). He's distracted while eating.  Even so, I have to take him to a professional a few times a year. If your guy really won't tolerate it, you could just have a groomer give him a haircut every few months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saphira101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice!

I started using a comb instead of the FURminator and grooming him when he's really drowsy. I have started with 5 minutes a day, and will increase the amount of time over the next few days. So far he doesn't protest.

I also give him treats at the end of every session.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saphira101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's working well!

I'm really happy. :)   Thanks!