Help Getting Food for IBD Cat

Onnyola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has IBD and the only food that keeps her from getting sick is Redbarn's lamb wet food. The problem is that Chewy has delayed the order for an unknown amount of time and I'm having the worst time finding it locally. Nobody carries it. (I'm in middle TN)
Does anyone know of anywhere I could order it from and get it within the next couple of days? I'm going to run out Tuesday and I'm getting desperate.

Or maybe even ideas of what I could do instead if I can't find it? I'm at a total loss at the moment.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try amazon, chewy did that to me and kept me waiting for 3 days with no dates or anything but I found specters Tiki cat on tiki cats official amazon store and it's given me a date of only 5 days or 4 days if I payed. If you pay for prime or whatever it will probably be even quicker but that depends on what you want .... If I remember , the walmart site and petco will give dates too but i can only vouch for amazon.

Alternatively have you considered homemade raw or homecooked? If you could get a premix and get some raw lamb meat you could recreate the canned food to a point.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How close are you to Knoxville/Nashville/other major TN cities? I'm thinking some small, independent pet places may carry it, if you're up for a drive.
Almost all the pet places where I live (Maine) are offering curbside pickup so -- big plus -- if it's like that in TN, too, and you had to go to a bigger city, there's a good chance you wouldn't even have to go in.

Could a local store order it? Even if that's slow it might still be faster than waiting for Chewy. (Maybe I partly say that because the stores I buy from here get their deliveries on Tuesdays!)

Good luck, O Onnyola -- making sure we have enough cat food and supplies is the hardest part of shopping right now. I don't want to go overboard but our cats also have dietary limitations (and one has asthma) so I feel like I need to be ready! ❤

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done an online search? There are many sites that sell food that chewy has discontinued. Hound and Gatos makes a good lamb wet.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done an online search? There are many sites that sell food that chewy has discontinued. Hound and Gatos makes a good lamb wet.
Hound and Gatos is very decent food and our cats used to really like the lamb. It's worth trying, though I would definitely be careful with H&G for a cat with a sensitive stomach since at least one of ours cannot eat agar-agar, which H&G uses as a thickener. I recall a couple other people posting that their cats also cannot eat agar-agar. (There are a zillion things in cat food that can cause problems so the big thing is to really sort out ingredient lists to find out what does and doesn't bother each individual cat!)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hound and Gatos is very decent food and our cats used to really like the lamb. It's worth trying, though I would definitely be careful with H&G for a cat with a sensitive stomach since at least one of ours cannot eat agar-agar, which H&G uses as a thickener. I recall a couple other people posting that their cats also cannot eat agar-agar. (There are a zillion things in cat food that can cause problems so the big thing is to really sort out ingredient lists to find out what does and doesn't bother each individual cat!)
So true. My cat Peaches cannot eat agar agar

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Didn't that brand get outed for cross contaminated food, twice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onnyola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions! I found a tiny store in Nashville after calling numerous places that had a few cans and they said they'd order some more right away. Hopefully that will tide me over until chewy can ship. I'll look into those other foods too. I'm realizing it wouldn't be a bad idea to very slowly try some other foods for cases like this :(. I never thought it would be an issue having just one brand of food but now I'm regretting not having one easy to find brand.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions! I found a tiny store in Nashville after calling numerous places that had a few cans and they said they'd order some more right away. Hopefully that will tide me over until chewy can ship. I'll look into those other foods too. I'm realizing it wouldn't be a bad idea to very slowly try some other foods for cases like this :(. I never thought it would be an issue having just one brand of food but now I'm regretting not having one easy to find brand.
I'm glad you were able to find something! And yes, if your cat can eat agar-agar, you might be able to broaden the selection. Good luck!