Help! Found blood in the cat room but no idea where it came from

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi so I am currently fostering 2 kittens. One is 6 to 7 weeks and the other one is 3 to 4 months. Last night I placed the little one in a basket like I always do for the night and went to sleep. This morning I let the little one out of the basket at around 6 am when I came to give them food. At 10am today I noticed drops of blood in the room and I have no idea where they came from or from which cat. Because when I let the little one out at 6am I didn’t notice anything coz I didn't look around but when I was cleaning up and moping at 10 that's when I noticed very tiny droplets all dried up and scattered around the room.
The little kittens basket has no blood whatsoever but she does get sick quite often. Plus I've noticed that she's drinking more water than usual...?
The 3 month old one seems ok but he was out the whole night so I can't rule out that it wasn't him either.
I have searched both cats for signs of injury but found none. They don't have any blood in their nose, ears or mouth either so where could the blood have come from?
I've currently put the 3 month old in a basket with some towels and the little one is roaming around the room. So far haven't seen any blood but will wait until the end of the day to be sure.
But in the meantime is there anything I can do and any guesses on where the blood could have come from? I am a little tight on money and I don't want to have to go to the vet unless absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance for any help.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you take any photo of those blood droplets?
This could help understand if they were drops from an injury (falling drops), or sprayed droplets (like a sneeze), or drops from a shaking head (from an ear?).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you take any photo of those blood droplets?
This could help understand if they were drops from an injury (falling drops), or sprayed droplets (like a sneeze), or drops from a shaking head (from an ear?).
The only pic is this one. Looks like a blood trail and this is the only blood that I couldn't scrub out. Its stained so bad maybe its from yesterday? And its also darker in shade. The other blood trails also looked like this.
And she is shaking her head around but didn't see any blood spraying...
20221002_122502.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could be a blood filled cyst bulla follicle, which did burst, and so the blood run for a while...
Anyway, as she is shaking her head, the playing it safe is to let your vet check her up.

Especielly as you know which kitten it is.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be from a minor injury when they were playing. That is dropped blood, so could have come from the mouth, the anus, or a small injury. You might check between the pads of their feet. If it came form the ears or anus, i would think there would still be signs of blood there in the fur, so that narrows it down to an injury or the mouth. The older kitten is still a little young, but MAY have lost a tooth. If you could check their mouths that would be great.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What do you mean that the older kitten was out all night? Outside? If so, the kitten needs to be indoors only.

The older kitten needs spaying or neutering soon. The blood is probably from an injury. Right now, since you can’t see anything, it’s likely not serious.

Are you fostering for a local shelter? If so, perhaps get the kittens checked by them.

Are both kittens eating and pooping normally?

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you mean that the older kitten was out all night? Outside? If so, the kitten needs to be indoors only.

The older kitten needs spaying or neutering soon. The blood is probably from an injury. Right now, since you can’t see anything, it’s likely not serious.

Are you fostering for a local shelter? If so, perhaps get the kittens checked by them.

Are both kittens eating and pooping normally?
No, not out. I never let them out. I have 1 room that I have reserved for my foster kittens. The older one is free to roam the room but I put the little one in a carrier for the night just because I don't want them fighting eachother. That's what I meant by out the whole night... as in he was moving freely around the whole room so was wondering if there is a possibility that the blood in the room was his.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I didn't find any blood in the room again. I kept checking on both the kittens from time to time but couldn't find bleeding anywhere, not in the room or the litter tray. And up until now I have no idea who was bleeding or from where. They seem fine and its just the normal routine... eating, drinking, playing and sleeping so I think they're OK.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be from a minor injury when they were playing. That is dropped blood, so could have come from the mouth, the anus, or a small injury. You might check between the pads of their feet. If it came form the ears or anus, i would think there would still be signs of blood there in the fur, so that narrows it down to an injury or the mouth. The older kitten is still a little young, but MAY have lost a tooth. If you could check their mouths that would be great.
Thank you for your reply. I checked and there's no missing tooth: he still has his milk teeth.