Help for injured small bird found today

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have a habit of finding injured and stray wildlife or should I say they find us? ;) While going out for coffee this afternoon we came across a small bird on the sidewalk outside a store. He or she could not stand and would flip over when trying to move. We couldn't leave him/her there so I called Animal Control but that was no use. I called a wildlife rescue but they said the business owner would have to call or they won't come out and the store would have to pay them. Next I called a wild bird feed store close by who told me to call an all-volunteer wildlife rehab organization which I did and I'm waiting to hear back. In the meantime, the message on their voice mail said to place the found animal in a box with no food or water. We brought the bird home in a box so I hope they call soon. :nervous: I'm pretty sure it's a warbler but not positive.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas? The message from the wildlife rehab org. said to text them pics so here are two:

IMG_1280.jpeg IMG_1279.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just got a text from the wildlife rehab. and they said the bird is a Nuthatch. They asked if I can bring him/her in the house for tonight with a towel on the bottom of the box and cover the top. I let them know I have a cat but will put the box in a separate room with the door closed. Any other advice from someone who is knowledgeable about birds?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is so kind of you to help this little bird. He is safe and no doubt much less frightened than he was on the sidewalk. I am not one who has had much luck with rehabbing birds unfortunately and I hope that the rehab can get him from you tomorrow.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert either, but once I did find a bird who was injured and like you had cats. Nothing was open, so kept it in a locked room. I didn't try to feed it or anything, just kept the cats away from it. It was still alive the next morning and I took it to the vet, who did have wildlife license.

Keep it away from the air conditioning.

Afterward I thought I should have put a shallow bowl/plate of water near it. and I did look up nuthatch what do they eat - suet (beef fat), sun flower seeds, peanuts (not salted), mealworms (okay you probably don't have those, but that was in the top what they eat list.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to the above members who replied. :thanks: I heard back again from the wildlife rehab. They said the bird won't eat after dark so not to worry about food and water. They asked us to bring the bird to their location tomorrow morning at a specific confirmed time which we will do. Since they are an all-volunteer rescue and rehab. they did ask for an optional donation which we are happy to oblige. They requested our e-mail so they can give us updates. Fingers crossed the bird makes it through the night and they can help him/her. BTW, they identified the bird as a Red Breasted Nuthatch - good call K Kflowers :thumbsup:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that makes me feel so much better about the one I rescued and didn't give water or food to. The cats were troubled but they left the door alone.
neely neely not a good catch on my part, unless you mean cause I read your post closely. ;) Which, for once I did. I'm so glad you have a wildlife group available, they are rare.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you have a wildlife group available, they are rare.
Actually we have two that I'm aware of but the first one I called was not as helpful as I would have liked. However, the second one was very responsive and answered all my questions.

He or she made it through the night although I think might be having some labored breathing. I hope the bird hangs on until we get to the wildlife rehab. location this morning. 🙏

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The woman who met us at the wildlife rehab. couldn't have been nicer or more knowledgeable. She told us the Nuthatch bird was beautiful but had suffered a head trauma that happened at least 24 hours ago. :frown: She said the bird was thin and she was going to start tube feeding him. She also told us they rescued 2,800 birds and 600 animals last year. She will send us updates on the bird. I hope and pray she is able to help him. 🙏

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope the little guy will make it. A couple of years ago I came up a downed Canada goose in a parking lot and called a bird rescue. Yes, I was shocked how many birds they had rehabbed, or tried to, and how many birds they currently were working with.