Help Finding Affordable Gum-free Wet Food!

Grim-alkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm new here, I've searched through this site tons of times but never found a direct answer for what I was looking for.
After my previous cat passing away earlier this year, and with me being paranoid as I am, I want to make sure that what I buy my new kitten Grim is the best food I can buy.
Right now he's eating nulo medal series limited ingredient dry food (I leave that out all day for him to "graze" on), and several times a day I give him a bit of Nulo's wet shredded cat food. I tried another brand recently as a taste test; unfortunately, now he's stopped eating the nulo wet food.
In summary, my criteria is this:
-wet food, shredded, minced or stew (not pate-- he won't eat it :| )
--- no carrageenan
- no gums
-less than $2 per can

I looked into both tikicat and koha-- both seem perfect except that id need to pay something like $50 a month to buy those just for one cat, which is too much for me. Does anyone know a brand with the above requirements?
If not, my last questions would be 1) which type of thickener (agar agar, guar gum, tapioca, locust bean, xantham gum) is LEAST toxic to a cat, if I must resort to buying food with it in it? And 2) how do I figure out how MUCH gum is in a can, so I can purchase products with as little gum as possible if needed?
Thanks!!! Sorry this is so long!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grim-alkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you looked through these threads?

Canned food without Carrageenan or Guar Gum?
Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Mendione Free Food?

Raw is a good brand but it's pricey. It's $2.99 a can at my local pet store.

The only way to avoid all gums and other questionable ingredients is to feed a raw or home cooked diet. There's a forum here in TCS with more info about these diets.
Hi, thanks for your answer!
I actually have looked through those threads, I spent tons of time looking at those two in particular before making an account to pose this question. Even through those it was difficult to find foods that weren't pate AND were a good price... he's very picky -_-
The price of raw food is also an issue for me, sadly. Primal and Stella's are sold near me but at a very high price, and I actually tried a pouch of the cheapest type of Primal they sold there... Cat wouldn't touch it, with or without warm water added (I tried both ways hoping he'd eat it).

I suppose the best summary of my huge essay of a question is what is the least harmful but best priced wet cat food I can buy (that isn't a pate)?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Your biggest problem with trying to avoid gums is that in commercial non-pate wet foods the gums are used as thickeners, literally so that the food doesn't slide off the plate as easily.

I have the same issue but my boy rarely likes pate.

I don't know about price, and this first database doesn't highlight gums but it might help. The second one is a little more general;

Pet Food Guide

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grim-alkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Your biggest problem with trying to avoid gums is that in commercial non-pate wet foods the gums are used as thickeners, literally so that the food doesn't slide off the plate as easily.

I have the same issue but my boy rarely likes pate.

I don't know about price, and this first database doesn't highlight gums but it might help. The second one is a little more general;

Pet Food Guide

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
Thank you, I'll be sure to search through these!!! Tough having such picky cats, huh? :)