HELP. Facing a very hard decision

maryelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued 3 kittens aged around 5 months now. Unfortunately 'Needy' was struck by a vehicle. The vet showed me the xrays and indicated complex trauma to her pelvis. In addition x 1 back leg is broken with complete break / separation of bone. Euthanasia was recommended due to complexity of injuries, difficulty with surgical procedure on young cat, risk for further complications, etc. We were sent home with pain meds and antibiotics as she had developed a low grade fever already to say good byes , love on her. I am schedule to return with her in a few hours. Thing is, she is trying to stand, is going to the bathroom, eating and drinking and seems to have the will to live. Because the vet indicated it would be difficult to get a surgeon to take the case (young cat, difficulty of needed procedures, hard recovery, etc) I am struggling to keep her if she is in pain and so forth. Has anyone ever had a similar situation? Please advise. I would never want her to suffer but I also do not want to put her to sleep if she has any kind of a chance. She lights up when I bring her sisters in for a visit. I am really struggling here. She is an absolute angel.

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the outcome if you opt to do nothing? I know pelvic fractures can cause internal bleeding with all the sharp edges moving around, etc. On the other hand, broken ribs aren't treated, per se, and are allowed to heal naturally. Ask the vet about that alternative (so far he's given you only surgery and euthanasia). If it were just the broken leg, I would actually advise amputation. One of mine died under anasthesia during surgery to repair one, while the possibility of just losing the leg - which I might well have opted for - was never raised or discussed. Pets actually adjust amazingly well to being "tripods." Sorry this happened; that broken leg is why I vowed to keep all my cats indoors afterwards!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fever might be happening because of the bone breaks.

When a long bone suffers a severe fracture, some of the marrow leaks out. Not only can this cause fever and illness, it can cause strokes and damage to the brain and other organs when the tiny blobs of marrow clog blood vessels.

From the sound of things, your cat might be in grave condition. If your cat can't go to the bathroom, eat or drink, she's already got two strikes against her. You are right to give serious thought to euthanasia.

Sleep on it and think about it. Consider things like you are the cat. What would you want if you were in her place?

If it was me, I'd rather let go a day too early than a day too late.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Just do what you think is right and things will turn out the way that God intends.

Thoughts and prayers be with you! :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and thanks so much for your feedback. I am thinking I should at least go back in to explore what the outlook is for Needy if we do nothing. OR, is there actually something that can be done like amputating at least the leg. I am just having an incredibly difficult time imagining putting her down when she is showing such a strong will to live. BTW her name comes from her 'neediness'. She loves attention and from the day I rescued her from the side of the road she has loved being held, rubbed, loves to climb up your pants, etc. lol

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my cat and I would do anything to keep him.

The same goes for every pet I ever had. It always makes me sad when a pet that I love has to leave but it's Nature's way and I can't change that.

Inscription on a Sundial
With warning hand, I mark time's rapid flight,
From the glad morning through the solemn night.
But, through the dear God's love, I also show,

That there is light above, by the shadow, below.

-- John Greenleaf Whittier

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would go with your gut level feeling and investigate what can be done. I don't want to sound harsh, but you can always make the decision to euthanize at any point where this clearly might not be working, but if she is not in severe pain (and I assume that her movement must mean that the painkillers are working), I would continue to evaluate.

I have a GSD with three legs and they do function very well, especially young animals. If amputation would resolve this, I would consider this but it might depend on whether or not it would be the most complete solution.

tripawds.com

Please let us know what happens.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there other complications besides the leg? If not, I would ask your vet about amputation. If amputation alone won’t be enough or she would have a poor quality of life afterwards, I know it’s hard, but the best thing may be to let her go.

Personally, I would die a little inside if I ever had to put Terra down before her time, but I simply wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I kept her alive just to suffer. Remember too, that cats are masters of concealing physical pain. Just because she seems well enough now doesn’t mean she isn’t in pain now, or agony later.

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree; euthanasia is ALWAYS an option. Nothing wrong with trying something else first provided the cat isn't suffering and your money holds out (surgery isn't cheap)...

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine rescued a kitten with a broken pelvis. I don't remember exact details like how long the recovery took. The kitten healed on its own and later adopted. Not as severe but there is hope. If she cannot heal on her own without surgery, I would not want her to suffer

Anne Valentine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats with pelvis breaks and other broken bones have sucessfully healed on cage rest for 2 months sometimes more. As long as her pain is well controlled and get back leg is protected from being made worse then that may be an option here.