Help! Dog Is Coming To Visit Tomorrow, Need Advice!

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
Just found out my son's family is bringing their Rottweiler (mature dog, not puppy) with them from Florida -- tomorrow!!! We have an inside cat, Indy, who is 4 but lived 3 1/2 years in a cat rescue farm. I have no idea if he is okay with dogs; the dog, however, lived with a cat until last month when the cat died.

What is the best way to introduce these two? Dog will be here for 2 nights and 3 days, and then again for a few days next week. I do NOT want my cat to feel threatened in his own home! I do have a basement we could keep the dog in, but I'm hoping not to have to do that.

What should I do?

Please help asap!

Thanks,
msFriday

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When dogs come over, my cats don't like to leave my bedroom. So we just close off access to that room and give them food, water, and litter box in there. At night, when they are more likely to wander, we have the dog baby gated into a room, so they get run of the house of the house and can smell the places the dog has been.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's for a short time, I'd have the cat stay in a bedroom with all his stuff. Proper introductions take a long time so since the dog is just there for the weekend it won't be possible. If the cat is very outgoing and objects to being shut in the bedroom. . .maybe you could try introducing them (dog on leash of course!), but otherwise don't worry about it.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't introduce them. Especially if this dog has never been around cats or is unfamiliar with cats. I had a Rottweiler mix once. Huge dog. Cats were a definite no no since he had an unstoppable prey drive. If it's just a short visit, I don't think it would be necessary to introduce them. As long as your cat has a safe place to stay where the dog can't have access to him. And if your cat isn't use to dogs at all or a dog the size of a Rottweiler especially, it could be very stressful.

I hope this helps! :)

Also, if your cat is the alpha, he may feel threatened with an unfamiliar animal in his territory. That's how my Felix is. He's the alpha so he decides whether or not a new animal will be accepted or not. We went through this went I got my puppy. Felix met her and she was being disrespectful of his things and territory so he slapped her up a few times and chased her until she got the message. She'd usually chase him but he didn't like it so he put her in her place. Now, she doesn't mess with him since she has submitted.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For that short of time, I wouldn't take the chance. Keep your cat and the dog on opposite sides of closed doors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your advice! I know my son is expecting to introduce them, but I will take your advice and keep them apart.

I do have a safe place for Indy -- we have an enclosed sun porch (air conditioned) attached to the back of the house. He has access to it through our master bedroom and master bathroom windows, and the sliding glass door in the dining room, which we keep open for him. His food, water, and litter box are out there, and he can travel between the 3 rooms at will. All we have to do is keep the bedroom door closed, and the sliding door in the dining room closed, and no one can get to him. I think that's what we'll do at night.

During the day, I can make them keep the dog in the finished basement (and on a leash when he has to come upstairs to go out), so Indy has free run of his own house (he doesn't go in the basement much, anyway.) He and I are usually home all day together; he pretty much stays in the same room with me. He wouldn't understand if he was locked into the bedroom all day without me.

Thanks again! :bigeyes:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your advice! I know my son is expecting to introduce them, but I will take your advice and keep them apart.

I do have a safe place for Indy -- we have an enclosed sun porch (air conditioned) attached to the back of the house. He has access to it through our master bedroom and master bathroom windows, and the sliding glass door in the dining room, which we keep open for him. His food, water, and litter box are out there, and he can travel between the 3 rooms at will. All we have to do is keep the bedroom door closed, and the sliding door in the dining room closed, and no one can get to him. I think that's what we'll do at night.

During the day, I can make them keep the dog in the finished basement (and on a leash when he has to come upstairs to go out), so Indy has free run of his own house (he doesn't go in the basement much, anyway.) He and I are usually home all day together; he pretty much stays in the same room with me. He wouldn't understand if he was locked into the bedroom all day without me.

Thanks again! :bigeyes:
This is a good plan. Don't take any chances!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the dog has experience with cats, that's good but how much experience with dogs does the cat have? That's the wild card, IMO.

Make sure that the cat always has a safe retreat... a place where the cat can go but the dog can't get to.
Preferably, it would be a place with more than one exit like under a bed or sofa.

You can also try the thing that you do when you introduce two cats.
Put one of them in a separate room for one day then, on the second day, switch places, etc.

Other than that, keep an eye on the both of them and play it by ear. I'm sure that there might be a scuffle or two but, as long as they don't hurt each other, they should learn to tolerate each other even if they don't become friends.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree! A Rottweiler is a LOT bigger than a cat. You could be looking at a death, not a scuffle.

Be overly cautious and keep them separated.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have a very good plan to keep them separated, since this is a short-term visit. My first dog was a Rottweiler, and he was perplexed and intimidated by my cats :crackup: ...because they didn't run from him, he left them alone.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "Dogs vs. Cats" thing is mostly a myth that is perpetuated by cartoons on television and stupid dog owners who teach their dogs to chase cats.

If dogs and cats are given the chance to acclimate to each other, they can get along just fine.

My first cat, "K.C." was friends with a dog named "Koenig," a big German Shepard. In fact, they even defended each other. When another dog came around, Koenig would defend K.C. and, when another cat came around, K.C. would defend Koenig.

I also used to live next door to a guy who had a big Newfoundland Hound who was friendly to cats. Cats were a non-issue with "Newfie." He just didn't care one way or the other. Newfie was one of the most mild-mannered dogs I ever met.

In both cases, dogs and cats were friendly to each other because nobody "taught" the animals that they should be enemies. They just got along.

Yes! There is a size differential that you have to be careful of.

Yes! Dogs and cats think differently and you have to be mindful of that, too.

On the other hand, no, dogs and cats don't naturally hate each other and, if properly introduced and supervised, they can be friends with each other if you handle things right.

In this case, we have a lot of good things going for us:
1) The dog is already acclimated to cats and is friendly.
2) The humans involved care about making sure that things go smoothly.
3) We already have a plan in place to help ensure that there isn't any undue trouble.

IMO, go ahead with the plans as we have all discussed:
1) Make sure that the cat has safe haven and a territory that he can call his own.
2) Give the dog a place to stay that is away from the cat.
3) Supervise the introduction until you are confident that the two animals can get along.
4) Separate the two if there is any sign of trouble.
5) Don't push the dog and cat to be together any sooner than they can each tolerate.

If you are mindful and careful there is no reason why the dog and the cat can't be friends.

Who knows? Maybe they can team up and be allies like the way K.C. and Koenig were.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My late Zoya would love every dog she met. She grew up with a Dobberman and a smaller dog, and would approach any dog that seemed friendly to her. Cats were another story, but she was more than happy to make a new dog friend.

Be careful and safe and best of luck!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caspers Human Caspers Human There is no point in msfriday taking the slightest risk of a tragedy during a few day family visit. You offer good advice if msfriday's son's dog was planning to move in and live there permanently.

My dog gets along fine with my senior cat, but just killed two feral kittens this morning when I let him out in the backyard to go potty. You can't always trust a dog who is friendly with [some] cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msFriday

Young Cat
Purraise
Good news, everything went well! During the first short visit, we kept them completely apart, but they could hear and smell each other. Indy never saw the dog, but he did hear him barking. The dog was kept in the guest room, Indy had the rest of the house. When the dog had to go outside, Indy was put into the master bedroom (with access to the sunroom where his food, water, and litter boxes are).

During the second visit, we let them see each other. First, we all gathered in the guest room where the dog was kept in his cage. We sat around talking, with the door to the room open, and Indy sat in the hall and watched us. A couple of times he ventured into the room, and never took his eyes off the dog. He was wary, but not afraid. The dog got a bit rambunctious in his cage -- he wanted to come out and play with the cat!

The next day, we were all in the living room, and Indy was beside me on the sofa. I suggested that my son bring the dog through the living room, on his leash, to go outside. Indy watched him carefully, but didn't hiss, growl, or run away. So when the dog came back in, we let him stay in the room for awhile (on his leash and under the control of my son, of course). Indy was very alert, but left the sofa and went under the coffee table (one of his favorite spots). He was fine with the dog being in the room until the dog lunged toward him -- not an attack, just a playful dog seeing a possible playmate. Indy hissed, raised the fur on his back and tail, and retreated behind the sofa. We immediately removed the dog back to the guest room, and Indy came right back out. We didn't try any more "visits" since they left the next day at 5:30 am!

All in all, I would say things went well. Thanks again for all your good advice!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All's well that ends well! Happy to hear you had a nice family visit. :)