Help ! Diabetes and Large Urine Volume

sassysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am reaching out in complete frustration for myself and my sweet Sass kitty. Very large male cat that now has diabetes. He is on insulin and eating DM food....the problem is the horribly huge volume of urine I'm dealing with. First had an automatic scooping box with crystal granules. Within one day he has registered 40 uses and the box is swimming with urine. (They are very expensive) Then changed to a dust free very solid clumping liter and he comes out with wet paws and shakes the wet litter all over the room. I'm desperate for an answer please if anyone has dealt with this. Thank you in advance!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had two diabetic cats and neither urinated in the amount that you are describing. Loss of electrolytes is a concern if it is that voluminous. Both of mine were on insulin, the first on Humulin (years ago) and the most recent on ProZinc.

You might want to join this group. They are amazingly knowledgeable and helpful.
Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, I'd have another talk with his veterinarian.

You could consider adding more litterboxes if you have the room to do so, and place them inside big tubs so the litter from shaken paws is better contained.

Click on this link, it will take you to a post and photo that will give you a better idea of what I'm thinking of;
I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are his blood glucose levels like?

I definitely think you need to talk to his vet; this is more than an annoyance. I suspect it's caused by the diabetes being inadequately controlled, in addition to which it threatens Sass directly, with the potential for dehydration, electrolyte depletion, and possibly kidney damage. His vet needs to know.

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Until the diabetes is better regulated with diet and insulin, the cat is going to pee large amounts and show other symptoms. Sugary pee doesn't clump very well so you just have to keep on top of scooping often :dunno: The "cement booties" are a pain. Make sure to have a deep layer of litter in the box.

Definitely join the FDMB board that is linked above. That board is diabetes specific so you'll get a lot more help there. You're still welcome to stay here on TCS and post about your cat and share pictures and join in some of the fun threads in the Lounge forum :)

The prescription Purina DM junk isn't needed despite what your vet says / insists. Any low carb canned food is good for diabetic cats. Fancy Feast in the pate varieties is one such brand you can feed. Feeding dry food is like a Human diabetic eating a high carb fast food filled diet.

Insulin - some are better than others and it may take trying more than one to find one that works for your cat as well as the right dose. Few cats need more than a few units of insulin daily. Managing diabetes doesn't happen right away. It takes awhile to find the right combo of diet and insulin. Some cats are lucky to become diet controlled fairly quickly. Other cats may always need both diet and insulin. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. It's just how the cat's body is responding to treatment.