Help Describe My New Kitty

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my first cat. I chose to go with a shelter since those cats sometimes struggle to find homes. This one came to me and was very affectionate instantaneously. They said she is 2yr old and was a stray but based on how quickly she adjusted to my home, I feel perhaps she escaped from another home or was abandoned. She is loyal. Follows me around everywhere and likes to snuggle next to me while sleeping. Playful. Sometimes vocal bu

After having pure bred dogs with papers, I’m always curious about lineage or characteristics in mixes. I understand cats are different but this being my first, I don’t even know how to describe her but would like to be more specific than “domestic shorthair”. Obviously she has short hair, but how do I describe the color? Her head shape seems different than most cats I’ve seen as well.

AF69B402-FBD8-494B-9EA4-AAC8CD32B178.jpeg

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*sometimes vocal but very quiet meow

(sentence seems to have been cut off accidentally)

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Her coloring is truly striking. I would describe her as a dilute tortoiseshell or perhaps a torbie. Her head shape looks very oriental to me, and she is slender like a Russian Blue rather than stocky like a British Blue. The fact that she is vocal is another clue that she might have recent oriental blood in her.

Cats are backwards from dogs. I have one who is probably a Chihuahua/Yorkie cross and I wouldn't even attempt to untangle my other dog's heritage beyond "Chihuahua mix" or "Hoopa Chihuahua", but they are both mixtures of different breeds of dogs.

My DSH is an original. The American Shorthair breed of cat is an attempt to preserve the genetic diversity of our community cats as well as to make certain desirable characteristics more predictable.

Thank you for rescuing this girl and giving her the home she deserves. She is gorgeous and she obviously knew what she was doing when she chose you. Abandoned pets generally don't fare too well on the streets and the shelters fill up fast.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I almost never get these right, but I really believe she is a dilute tortoiseshell, domestic short haired (DSH) cat. I don't see a specific pattern to her coloring which is typically part of determining the 'tabby' appearance (hence the naming of 'torbie'). Dilute just refers to the muted, softer colors. She does have a bit of white, yes? Even so, I don't think it is enough to consider her a calico - but, here is where I am getting into "know just enough to be dangerous" territory.

We have a couple of what I call resident experts, who will tell you in an instant how to describe your very pretty girl - I hope they come along very soon (and, NOT prove me wrong - LOL)!

Last edited:

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Here I would have called her “grey and beige”. Having cat term coat qualifiers helps. Suppose the Russian name of Katia that she came with is very fitting with the resemblance to a Russian blue.

Love her and so happy we found each other.

Now to post in all the other forum topics to ask questions about optimal cat care.Crazy cat lady status will be achieved.

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't dwell on breed. Cats don't work like dogs. They aren't a mix of this breed and that breed. They are most of the time Domestic short or long hair. There is a huge variety of behavior, characteristics and personality that will show up in any domestic cat. But that is what makes them all so unique.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a beautiful cat! I would describe her as a blue-cream domestic shorthair. You could also describe her color as dilute tortoiseshell. Most cats aren't any particular breed, and are not mixtures of breeds. She doesn't look like the Russian Blues we have in the United States; perhaps in Sweden, StefanZ StefanZ has seen Russian Blues that look similar to her, but I'm not personally seeing a resemblance to that breed. I think she has her own special look! She is gorgeous, enjoy her :)

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's a beautiful dilute tortie!! I love that coloring. Torties are very fun cats and are often described as having "tortitude" which my tortie certainly has! :)

Bennettac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's a beautiful dilute tortie!! I love that coloring. Torties are very fun cats and are often described as having "tortitude" which my tortie certainly has! :)
I just read about “tortitude” today. How funny. This one doesn’t have that. She is the kitty embodiment of pure love and cuddles. I had the sitter over for a meet and greet since I’m leaving town for work. Without hesitation she rolled on her back and was asking for belly rubs. I don’t think I’ve gone into any room without her following, curious what I’m doing and waiting for me to either play or pet her. She definitely talks. Maybe a bit vocal when she wants food but not attitude...at least not yet. I don’t think I’ve ever been around a cat like this so I’m feeling I lucked out. I read her shelter notes and she was really struggling there...sick and lost 7lb in a couple months poor thing.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is stunning. Yah you know I read about tortittude, and though my first cat had it (she only wanted to be the only cat and was a bit of a diva, she only bonded with my mom). My newest foster fail is an absolute sweetheart, currently purring on my lap lol. She loves my one cat Jethro and plays with him so nicely, my other cat, however, if he tries to play with her she will hiss and growl.. yet she will play attack his face.. all the time.. lol. So maybe has some tortitude lol