Help! Coccidiosis

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My fosters have been diagnosed with coccidiosis. Poor babies. They all got marquis paste today and one is now on metronidazole. I have a couple questions. I will be cat-sitting a couple of older cats for a friend of mine next week in their home. Will I be putting them in danger if I wear the same clothes over there that I had on when handling the kittens? Also, they are in my bedroom. If I change the top blanket on the bed every day will that be sufficient as far as my bed goes? Or would I really need to wash the sheets even if they were not directly exposed to the kittens?

I have had soooo many foster cats and kittens come through here and this is surprisingly my first experience with this nasty parasite. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

I do know that bleach is useless and to use ammonia. However, ammonia will be used as little as possible. I will be steam cleaning the floor and washing the bedding daily.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bumping this up.  Personally (thankfully) I've never had to deal with this situation. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bumping this up.  Personally (thankfully) I've never had to deal with this situation. 
Thank you:). I got some answers and thought I'd share the info for anyone who may come along and see this thread. As long as I make sure to wash my hands I should not be putting any other cats at risk. I should only need to wash the bedding a couple to a few times a week unless they are noticeably soiled then they should be cleaned right away. Thankfully they have seemed to feel much better after the marquis paste. I am keeping it very clean in there so they don't reinfect themselves but so far everything seems to be going well:)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad they are feeling better after their treatment.  I've heard that paste is nasty tasting stuff and hard to get them to take.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad they are feeling better after their treatment.  I've heard that paste is nasty tasting stuff and hard to get them to take.
They took the marquis paste without a fight. The metronidazole is a different story..poor baby tries everything to spit it out

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Metro is nasty stuff, extremely bitter.  My IBD kitty has been on it a few times.  My vet or actually someone in her office probably would cut up the pills and put it in empty gel caps so he wouldn't taste it.  You can get the gel caps on Amazon.  They do sell them at the Vitamin Shoppe but they usually only have one size and they are one of the bigger sizes.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Metro is nasty stuff, extremely bitter.  My IBD kitty has been on it a few times.  My vet or actually someone in her office probably would cut up the pills and put it in empty gel caps so he wouldn't taste it.  You can get the gel caps on Amazon.  They do sell them at the Vitamin Shoppe but they usually only have one size and they are one of the bigger sizes.
Thankfully he has the liquid form and because he's so small (just about 1 pound) the dose is tiny. I try to put down some yummy wet food afterwards to help get the taste out of his mouth