Help! Chronic Congestion And Sudden Blindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just read your story and I thought I'll let you know that I manage my cat's herpes with probiotics, apparently anything with l. acidophilus could help (it's been proven it helps humans with airway infections and I find it working great with my cats' airways), so if you want, talk to your vet about this.
Good luck, I hope it'll be better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just read your story and I thought I'll let you know that I manage my cat's herpes with probiotics, apparently anything with l. acidophilus could help (it's been proven it helps humans with airway infections and I find it working great with my cats' airways), so if you want, talk to your vet about this.
Good luck, I hope it'll be better soon!
Thank you

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did not take Skye to the 2nd opinion just yet. He has been improving on the nasal noise and I did not want to stress him out and rock the boat. He has gone from a 2 to about a 7 in the nasal issue! I am hoping,praying that with more time this will settle down. Regarding all these issues and his blindness I feel that it was due to his dental extractions on his full mouth,including resorbed teeth. I think the vet will never admit to it as I have spoken to her but all his nmbers are perfect. ALL of them.. which leads me to believe this was man-made. He had a antibiotic injection about 3 weeks prior to his dental and she did not want to give him another. Maybe the bacteria got into his bloodstream.. maybe this,maybe that...we will never know... as long as his nasal issue returns to normal and it may by the looks off it..MAYBE just MAYBE his vision will return one day as mysteriusly as it left. I say that as his cornea,retina,etc are all in place. THANKS to all once again..I am so happy I found this support group.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. I just wouldn't take anything his current vet says too seriously. Once someone lies, it's sort of hard to believe them again, especially with a fragile kit. Prayers still coming for Skye.

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. I just wouldn't take anything his current vet says too seriously. Once someone lies, it's sort of hard to believe them again, especially with a fragile kit. Prayers still coming for Skye.
Agree, luckily she was only the vet who did his extractions,not his regular vet. thank u for your prayers.

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback. My regular vet suggested that since SKYE has gone from a 2 to a 8 in his nasal-noise issue and his CONVENIA injection is ending its 14 day course that we give him one last round of CONVENIA. He thinks that if we wait the bacteria might resurface. However, I hate to overdose due to possible side effects and maybe it did get rid of the bacteria and we are just seeing the remaining nasal noise. SKYE has even gained weight. I NEED to proceed with caution. Any thoughts?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TampaTony - I don't have experience with convenia, and I'm sorry no one has yet replied to your question from Wed -- I'm bumping the thread hoping someone can chime in and give feedback. (Sometimes it can take a little while for members to see a thread in order to give a response! I only just saw it this morning myself)
:vibes::grouphug2:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever our cat gets a convenia it makes her itch so much that she pulls out most of her hair, I mean all of it except for neck, spine, head, tail and feet. The itching starts within a day of getting the shot. Itching isn't one of the listed side effects of the convenia so I've been told what I see isn't true. Maybe something drifted in the window she was allergic to. Well, it's happened three times, three different years, so I believe it's connected.

The shot is supposed to last for 2 months at a time. Our cat itched for 3 months, so it may last longer. I don't understand why they would want to give Skye another dose after only 14 days. perhaps it's a different strength from what our cat got.

This is all I know about it and I doubt it's useful, which is why I hesitated to post.

more prayers going to Skye.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Convenia is supposed to work for approximately 14 days.
CONVENIA for Skin Infections

If Convenia is helping Skye and not causing side effects so far, it's not a crazy idea to get another shot. Some cats get side effects on Convenia, but lots of cats tolerate it well without side effects, and it sounds like Skye has improved since getting his first shot.

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I decided to allow his own immune system to kick in. He is gaining weight and looking like Skye again. I do not want to gve him Convenia again,just seems like a bad idea with what I see. I am going with my gut this time. His nasal noise is only about once every 4 hours or so and very quick and short lived. I think we are seeing the light on his nasal issue. He is going well with his new blindness and just got more vocal than he already was. LOL
We will see with time how he continues and I have a new vet lined up at a cat only vet just in case for Plan B.

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be selling my home in Tampa,FL and moving to the Orlando/Winter Park,FL area.
I plan to rent a single family home for one year then buy again hopefully.
If anyone knows of someone looking to rent, one adult and 5 indoor cats, please let me know. It is difficult to find a home to rent with 5 cats but I am trying my best. Any leads help! Thank you... Tony

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My handsome Skye is gone. He passed today. The complications got worse and he started circling around and fell down too. He stopped eating and drinking, etc.
I will miss my beautiful boy!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My handsome Skye is gone. He passed today. The complications got worse and he started circling around and fell down too. He stopped eating and drinking, etc.
I am so sorry. I believe that cat who pass are off somewhere being carefree crazy kittens again and that we will be reunited with them some day.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, my friend. Circling and falling over are never good signs something was bothering him. I'm sorry he's gone from the here and now but I'm glad if he was in any pain or discomfort, that's no more for him.
:alright:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to read this Tony. Skye really put up a great fight to the end. My most sincere heartfelt condolences to you.:hugs:

I was afraid that this was coming when you said he suddenly was eating a lot. It sounded very reminiscent of our recent experience with our boy who became incredibly hungry after not eating well for several days the night before we had to let him go.

Looking back I feel he knew it was his last meal and he wanted it to be a good one; and it was as I'd made homemade expensive Kobe hamburger for him.

I hope you are able to take comfort in knowing Skye is no longer in any discomfort and that he had a life of pure love from you. It's tough at first, and for several weeks after to come to terms with the loss - no different as I learned than losing a human loved one. Let yourself grieve, and come here for comfort if you are not able to find it elsewhere.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
T TampaTony , on behalf of the TCS Team we are very sorry for your loss. :grouphug: Threads like this are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it, please consider starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, Skye. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.