Help! Chronic Congestion And Sudden Blindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think you are wise to take this course. If you know that you would not act on the information from the MRI, and I can certainly understand about proceeding with caution on a risky surgery, then providing a great life while watching for any progression makes great sense. I stopped several years ago doing expensive or involved testing that would only yield academic answers, meaning that I would not proceed with other treatments for various reasons. You are very lucky to have each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you are wise to take this course. If you know that you would not act on the information from the MRI, and I can certainly understand about proceeding with caution on a risky surgery, then providing a great life while watching for any progression makes great sense. I stopped several years ago doing expensive or involved testing that would only yield academic answers, meaning that I would not proceed with other treatments for various reasons. You are very lucky to have each other.
Thank you

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just need this nasal issue,etc. to go away or go into remission. The issue has affected both eyes and in my gutt I feel that it is not a mass/tumor behind his right eye as it has affected both, makes no sense. So we wait while we battle this Feline Herpes like never before. I have humidifiers all over the house now. I keep the hope that my Skye will at least be able to walk around blind BUT without this nals/breathing issue! We are done with the vets for now..let us hope this last antiobitic injection rids any secondary bacteria to assist with his virus.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ever manage to get the culture/PCR panel done to see what infection you are dealing with?

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you ever manage to get the culture/PCR panel done to see what infection you are dealing with?
No, they were not able to get any as he had no discharge at that time. His CBC is perfect as well as his Thyroid. His Ocular BP went back down to 23 which is still within normal range.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said you were done with the vet for now, but I wonder if there is an eye drop they would be OK with you using to help with nasal congestion and irritation. The eyes and nose are connected so by administering an eye drop, it will run down into and out of the nose. It may help with being able to flush his nasal cavities from the inside, instead of trying to rely on getting moisture from just humid air or nose drops, which may not reach far enough into the nasal cavities to be as effective.
I remember one time our vet put a dye into my cats eyes to check for something, and for several hours after, I had to keep wiping his nose because it kept dripping this orange liquid (the dye they put in his eyes).

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you said you were done with the vet for now, but I wonder if there is an eye drop they would be OK with you using to help with nasal congestion and irritation. The eyes and nose are connected so by administering an eye drop, it will run down into and out of the nose. It may help with being able to flush his nasal cavities from the inside, instead of trying to rely on getting moisture from just humid air or nose drops, which may not reach far enough into the nasal cavities to be as effective.
I remember one time our vet put a dye into my cats eyes to check for something, and for several hours after, I had to keep wiping his nose because it kept dripping this orange liquid (the dye they put in his eyes).
Great question! I left him a message to see. I hope he calls bey 3pm local time as he goes on vacation and I am trying to avoid the other vets.

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet called.. dues to Skyes particual issues, he does not see the need to do addtl expensive PCR Panel as it will show various bacteria and really will not pinpoint anything conclusive bacteria he said. He stated that the Antibiotic Injection Skye just received will take care of any bacteria present. We discussed his blindness in great depth as well. Pure saline drops are fine however I need to stop the Stress for now, due to allowing his immune system to work even harder than it is. Catching him to put any drops in him at this time is counterproductive for him especailly to his new blindness, UTI history, etc.
Eye drops he said are not recommended due to the eye situation as well. Even if it was to help his nasal area. His Red/white blood count is good too. So, we go back to Plan A, let things be for now and hope for the best for all his issues.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well then let's put our heads together to make Skye a happy cat!!!!!:thumbsup:

I'm sure some of this has already been mentioned but just in case...

Try to find a way to increase her confidence. Make your house a perfectly oiled machine for her. Try to not leave anything out of sorts or laying around that will pose a challenge while she adjusts to her blindness.

Be creative to get her to engaged in play. I know she probably cannot smell very well, but using catnip toys to get her attention may be helpful. After a good play session, whatever that might be now, end it with her favorite food item. Try to find a way for her to experience the "hunt, catch, eat" instincts of a cat. I would think that maybe a catnip scented "kicking toy" that she does not have to chase would be the first thing I would try. You could hang onto the end of it and wiggle and tug on it while it's in her grasp to get her really going.

Cats have been shown to respond to music. I actually have a relaxation CD, made specifically for cats, that I played for my kitty to keep him calm. I really do think it worked. I know there is an app that plays calming cat music out there, I think it's called "relax my cat?" or something like that.

Chamomile tea (regular grocery store tea bags, NOT loose leaf) is a natural calming agent without having any sedative effects. You can brew a cup, let it cool and give a teaspoon or so a few times a day to help calm her.

Using Feliway products around your home may help her as well. They emit "good pheromones" that can help a cat feel more secure in their environment.

Simulating natural grooming that a cat would experience from another cat, or their mom, really helped one of my other cats be calm and content when he was passing away. I dipped the corner of a wash cloth in warm water, squeezed out the excess, and used it to groom him. The wash cloth corner simulated a cat tongue. I concentrated mostly around his face and neck as that was his favorite. He would really just melt away and was able to fall asleep when I did this with him.

And of course, nothing can compare to just loving on her as much as she wants!

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well then let's put our heads together to make Skye a happy cat!!!!!:thumbsup:

I'm sure some of this has already been mentioned but just in case...

Try to find a way to increase her confidence. Make your house a perfectly oiled machine for her. Try to not leave anything out of sorts or laying around that will pose a challenge while she adjusts to her blindness.

Be creative to get her to engaged in play. I know she probably cannot smell very well, but using catnip toys to get her attention may be helpful. After a good play session, whatever that might be now, end it with her favorite food item. Try to find a way for her to experience the "hunt, catch, eat" instincts of a cat. I would think that maybe a catnip scented "kicking toy" that she does not have to chase would be the first thing I would try. You could hang onto the end of it and wiggle and tug on it while it's in her grasp to get her really going.

Cats have been shown to respond to music. I actually have a relaxation CD, made specifically for cats, that I played for my kitty to keep him calm. I really do think it worked. I know there is an app that plays calming cat music out there, I think it's called "relax my cat?" or something like that.

Chamomile tea (regular grocery store tea bags, NOT loose leaf) is a natural calming agent without having any sedative effects. You can brew a cup, let it cool and give a teaspoon or so a few times a day to help calm her.

Using Feliway products around your home may help her as well. They emit "good pheromones" that can help a cat feel more secure in their environment.

Simulating natural grooming that a cat would experience from another cat, or their mom, really helped one of my other cats be calm and content when he was passing away. I dipped the corner of a wash cloth in warm water, squeezed out the excess, and used it to groom him. The wash cloth corner simulated a cat tongue. I concentrated mostly around his face and neck as that was his favorite. He would really just melt away and was able to fall asleep when I did this with him.

And of course, nothing can compare to just loving on her as much as she wants!
Thank you so much! Feliway for some reason has never helped any of my 5 cats. I keep a very organized place so yes, that is already done. Nothing out of place and easy for him to get around as bet as he can, music is always great too, I agree!! Skye also has UTI and on a special diet so no treats :( as that is how he became blocked. I just wish no matter how bad, blindness was his only issue. The UTI is under control as long as special diet is kept. My goal is this nasal issue. But I have to be alert that it could be all related his loss of vision. His eyes are fine so that is why all the vets assume its a mass behind his eye. Maybe they are wrong... as I still think Herpes played a BIG role in this crisis. Thank you so much for all your awesome suggestions.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, just realized I've been saying she instead of he! :oops:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use masking tape, like for art projects, to mark the stairs. You might also want to put it in squares a few inches around the larger hard pieces of furniture - table legs - until Skye gets the map of the house in his head. (He'll have it in a few days if you don't move the furniture.) The hardest part is putting the chairs to the table and your desk in the same place every time - you can use the tape to mark their 'spots'. The tape has tiny ridges on it so Skye will feel them when he walks on it and, quickly learn the tape means something is here/stairs.

Remember he doesn't feel sorry for himself. Animals are very Zen. He'll help you zen out too.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can use masking tape, like for art projects, to mark the stairs. You might also want to put it in squares a few inches around the larger hard pieces of furniture - table legs - until Skye gets the map of the house in his head. (He'll have it in a few days if you don't move the furniture.) The hardest part is putting the chairs to the table and your desk in the same place every time - you can use the tape to mark their 'spots'. The tape has tiny ridges on it so Skye will feel them when he walks on it and, quickly learn the tape means something is here/stairs.

Remember he doesn't feel sorry for himself. Animals are very Zen. He'll help you zen out too.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Yes, he seems to have it pretty good, it is the nose/congetio thing,,WOW! I am exhausted and it truly kills me to see him go through a new blindness with nose/congestion and he just learned to eat with no teeth due to his extractions. Poor guy, I just want him to get better with the nose/congestion thing Now! Please Unviverse,God get him to that level soon if it will happen. I am at my whits end.

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, just realized I've been saying she instead of he! :oops:
No worries... I understand... it is a unisex name... Skye and Sky, Skyler... kinda like Terry is...

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Herpesvirus: Ophthalmic Manifestations - BSAVA2008 - VIN

Found this about Feline Herpes and optic issues. Just in case you would like to read up on it. It does not speak directly about blindness but all the eye issues that can effect a Herpes cat and the treatment options.

And like you I'm still trying to find a way to help with the congestion relief. I am also dealing with a stubborn URI in my new kitty, it's just heart breaking to see her always so stuffed up. My vet is certain that Feline Herpes is a factor in why my Lily just can't shake it, even with treatment. So we are trying to help her stress and fear issues as best we can. We also have her on the prescription food with a calming agent in it. You mention your kitty having to be on urinary food. Well the RC SO comes in a calming formula, so maybe that would be an option?

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feline Herpesvirus: Ophthalmic Manifestations - BSAVA2008 - VIN

Found this about Feline Herpes and optic issues. Just in case you would like to read up on it. It does not speak directly about blindness but all the eye issues that can effect a Herpes cat and the treatment options.

And like you I'm still trying to find a way to help with the congestion relief. I am also dealing with a stubborn URI in my new kitty, it's just heart breaking to see her always so stuffed up. My vet is certain that Feline Herpes is a factor in why my Lily just can't shake it, even with treatment. So we are trying to help her stress and fear issues as best we can. We also have her on the prescription food with a calming agent in it. You mention your kitty having to be on urinary food. Well the RC SO comes in a calming formula, so maybe that would be an option?
I will read this article now. Thank you
Yes, I can feel it is Herpes related as it makes sense.
I wish there was an injection that would rid him of this or go into remission.
Looks like anti-viral injections are dangerous and vets try to stay away from them.
Hard to believe there is nothing more they can do, but yet again, I am not a vet.
I keep second guessing myself and wanting to take him to yet another vet, but the time from work, addtl stress on Skye, finances tell me not too. If I knew it would work then of course I would put him through the stress again but my vet and the eye vet and even the vet who did his dental seem to always suggest the waiting game. UGH!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking as someone who has had bad teeth, really bad teeth removed, he feels better than he did with the teeth. The instant, I mean the instant, a bad tooth is pulled ( I was awake for mine) the poison starts seeping out of the socket, the pressure is relieved and the pain eases. The antibiotics get rid of the infection in a few days and the pain is gone. I'm glad the vets give pain meds, my dentists never did, but I had over the counter for it. The pain is so much less than when the tooth/the infection and the swelling pressure was there, it's like a new life.

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will read this article now. Thank you
Yes, I can feel it is Herpes related as it makes sense.
I wish there was an injection that would rid him of this or go into remission.
Looks like anti-viral injections are dangerous and vets try to stay away from them.
Hard to believe there is nothing more they can do, but yet again, I am not a vet.
I keep second guessing myself and wanting to take him to yet another vet, but the time from work, addtl stress on Skye, finances tell me not too. If I knew it would work then of course I would put him through the stress again but my vet and the eye vet and even the vet who did his dental seem to always suggest the waiting game. UGH!
I read the full article and it completely makes sense. He had the virus which I noticed prior to his UTI Block, we unblocked him and then I waited 3 weeks to do his dental extractions which was way to little. Both vets told me it was okay and it looks like it was NOT! I wanted to get those bad teeth out of him and did not want to give him more antibiotics prior to the dental, but I think I messed up and was misled. I feel so guilty, if only I waited until his virus flareup went into remission it might have been different. :( maybe...

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any luck with FAMCICLOVER or INTERFERON? Looks like one stops replication of the Herpes Virus and the other is for Ocular Herpes...thoughts?

TampaTony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: SKYE still the same with not so good and okay days. He has a 2nd opinion at a Cat Hospital this time. The blindless is here to stay so my goal this time is just to improve the nasal/mucus breathing. Keep u guys posted and many thanks to you all!! Tony & Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.