Help! choosing a pet carrier

sadisticookie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As often as I read these message boards I still tend to overlook some threads (usually the ones that date back before my joining) so please forgive me if I'm repeating something that has already recently been discussed. Any advice will be of great appreciation!

Here's my situation: With two cats, I already own a large pet taxi (hard plastic type) and it is big enough to accomodate both cats very comfortably. Since I rarely need to travel with both cats at once I'm looking for a single-cat pet carrier that is small enough for me to fit into my brother's two door sports car (trying to fit the big carrier into the backseat is just as traumatic for us as it is for the cats!).

I've been wanting a soft-sided carrier like Sherpa or Samsonite but I'm cautious. These have mesh siding and I worry with my cats' claws (I keep them trimmed) they might still be able to rip at the mesh and break free.

Anyone here have experience with these soft type pet carriers? If so, any recommendations? It seems they all are quite expensive and I'm willing to put good money into it as long as it is sturdy and can keep my cats comfortable while on trips (not long trips but just to the vet for the most part).

Thanks for any advice you can give us

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the same concerns as you did when I was looking for a carrier. I finally decided on this one.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...02072%3A202088

It is made out of a good canvas type material (the kind that is used in good backpacks) It has metal bars that hold its shape (the first time I put it together it was a little tight, but its how its supposed to be.) its not floppy like other soft carriers. Cj did scratch at the plastic mesh for a couple of minutes but he did not tear it. It seems like he would have to do a lot of scratching and pulling to get it to come out. I like the fact it has handles and a large strap to carry on your shoulder. It fits in my car seat longways and I put the seat belt around it to hold it in. It has a top entry way and a side entryway, and windows on every side but the floor. I put his towel in there for him because I thought it needed a little more padding. After our trip to the vet I rolled up the doors with the velcro attachments they have and he uses it ever night to sleep in. I give it 5 stars! I did get it instore at my walmart for 30 bucks and the small size is good for him. If you are transporting a large cat over 15 pounds you might want to go one size bigger, but this one is plenty big for most cats.
hope that helps.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sherpa i bought for plane travel but have already been useing it for other traveling, and letting the kitties play with it. It gets an a++++ from me and is well worth the moneys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadisticookie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

I had the same concerns as you did when I was looking for a carrier. I finally decided on this one.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...02072%3A202088

It is made out of a good canvas type material (the kind that is used in good backpacks) It has metal bars that hold its shape (the first time I put it together it was a little tight, but its how its supposed to be.) its not floppy like other soft carriers. Cj did scratch at the plastic mesh for a couple of minutes but he did not tear it. It seems like he would have to do a lot of scratching and pulling to get it to come out. I like the fact it has handles and a large strap to carry on your shoulder. It fits in my car seat longways and I put the seat belt around it to hold it in. It has a top entry way and a side entryway, and windows on every side but the floor. I put his towel in there for him because I thought it needed a little more padding. After our trip to the vet I rolled up the doors with the velcro attachments they have and he uses it ever night to sleep in. I give it 5 stars! I did get it instore at my walmart for 30 bucks and the small size is good for him. If you are transporting a large cat over 15 pounds you might want to go one size bigger, but this one is plenty big for most cats.
hope that helps.
This one looks like a great deal. Thanks for the link! A part of me wants to buy one of those $50+ carriers but then I get to thinking of how all that extra money could go to new cat furniture I'm planning on purchasing (wish I could win the lottery so spending money on my cats would come without debate and budgeting!). I'll definitely check into this one. I'm so paranoid about my cats breaking free that I'd already see their escape coming way before they succeed.