Help! Cats started fighting each other after husband yelled

Karebear0210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats (8 months old) who are sisters just got in a huge fight after my husband yelled. They like to remove the shower drain and had dropped toy springs down there. I was digging them out with a hanger when my husband went to look and got a bad cramp in his leg. He started screaming and yelling because of the pain and the cats started fighting each other. Like full blown cat fight. I finally got them separated, but now they are freaking out and hissing when they see each other. Anyone experienced this or have any advice? Honey one of the kittens had unrecognized cat aggression towards Cinnamon after a spay, but the fighting was nothing like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Karebear0210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fighting is what some cats do when startled so it will not last.
[/Q
The fighting is what some cats do when startled so it will not last.
Should i keep them separate tonight? I'm afraid if i keep them separate very long that the unrecognized cat aggression issue will start again, but I don't want them fighting either.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I would assume it won't happen again but if your going to bed,separate them at least tonight. They may be back to normal in a few minutes

Karebear0210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would assume it won't happen again but if your going to bed,separate them at least tonight. They may be back to normal in a few minutes
Unfortunately, they are still hissing and wanting to fight when we hold them and they see each other. I am pretty concerned because i have never seen this level of aggression with them towards each other. It wasn't even this bad with unrecognized cat aggression after spays.

Karebear0210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like Re-directed Aggression In Cats - TheCatSite.
How are they doing now?
We separated them last night and this morning things are a lot better. Still some hissing and mild slapping from one of the kittens. We will take turns watching them interact all day and redirect any aggression. Will keep them in the room with me tonight as well so I can intervene anything that i need too.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look on the bright side, now you can give your hubby grief if he so much as glares!

You may have this issue every so often. Hopefully as in every few years, but you'll have to see. In any event, a short separation usually does the trick unless they fight for real, and then your going to need at least somewhat longer. A little bit growly is usually ok as long as your sure they wont fight. My small kitty was a little tense and growly for a few days after the big one snuck out in the rain, but since they pretty clearly weren't going to fight and an over night separation didn't work, I just let them work through it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We separated them last night and this morning things are a lot better. Still some hissing and mild slapping from one of the kittens. We will take turns watching them interact all day and redirect any aggression. Will keep them in the room with me tonight as well so I can intervene anything that i need too.
A little hissing and mild slapping isn't too bad. It's fur flying fighting or bloodshed you'd really need to be concerned about.

Since they're so young, they should get back to normal quickly. Try to play with them together. And maybe give them yummy treats together. Things to remind them that good things happen when they're together.

How are they around your husband? No signs of being scared of him? Just each other.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was redirected aggression and a good reason to not yell in the house. I rent an apartment and my shower drain that catches the hair is screwed into the drain. This might be your long term solution. Short term, fill up an empty gallon of milk jug or large litter jug full of water and place over the shower drain when you are done showering.

Since they are still a bit miffed or guarded I would only allow them to be together with supervision for a day or two. I would distract them with treats and play to keep them from getting physical with each other.