Help! Cats snubbing wet food

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Suddenly stopped eating their favorite wet food. Tried a variety of Tiki Cat flavors and textures, and they just won’t touch any wet food. They are eating their dry food. I’m concerned they are not getting moisture…any advice or experience with this?

jonb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my 10 cats twice a day , mostly dry kibbles mixed with water, most cats approximately 40% water depending on each cats eating habits and weight. Start with small amounts of water and work them up over time or experiment with different wet foods. Most my cats seem to go for a good drink of straight water after they finish their mixed ration. Haven't had any ut problems since starting this about 3 years or more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree about trying some toppers in their wet food. For Feeby, I add some bone broth, or actually grind up 10-20 pieces of Party Mix treats and mix it into her food. And, as also said above, try adding some liquid to the dry food - if not water, try the bone broth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought some toppers and other brands to try. Also thinking they need to have less dry food put ou…

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm slowly trying a routine with my anti-wet food cat where I make him his wet food first for meal time, and put toppers on it to get him started. After he had a decent go at it (usually only 1/4-1/2 of it eaten) I put some dry food in his other bowl so he can not fall behind on calories. I used to put both in the same bowl but I noticed he does not like to eat the dry that's mixed in there, so he will lick the wet until it's mostly just bunches of dry matter and the soggy kibble. He rarely ever finishes his small portions of wet, but this method has helped him get more wet and waste less dry.

As for toppers, for my boy chicken variety of churu or stella & chewy magical dinner dust are his favs. I've tried to crush his kibble as topper too but it's difficult as I don't have a mortar and pestle.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update…tried putting Tiki Cat stews on top of their pate, but they just lick all the stew and leave the solid food. Oh well, guess that is progress. I did have some luck with some soup and stew pouches from Weruva.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had that problem as well once they figure out that the really tasty part is the topper.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just given up on the wet food "meals." They will each eat a Tiki Cat Broth topper twice a day, but only alone, not if I use it on top of wet food. I think it is better than nothing.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is switching entirely to wet food an option? My cats will ignore or eat very little of their wet food if they know kibble will be coming soon. The only way I could get them to reliably eat enough wet food for my liking was to feed them almost exclusively that.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get bored with the same wet food. They get a variety of different wet food brands and flavors (weruva, rawz) Primal raw, and 2 diy raw lol. They usually get something different a few times a day. With wet food most cats do not like the same thing over and over like they are with dry. Sometimes you might wanna try a gum/agar agar/carrageenan free wet food as sometimes those do cause stomach inflammation and make the cat not wanna eat it. I have one cat who has a super sensitive stomach and only likes the rawz.