Help! Cat’s skin looks irritated Post grooming

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took my girl for het annual shave-down at the groomers (I made an ethical decision to do so as I live somewhere really hot and she easily gets matts from her long fur).

I noticed tonight that the area under her arm (presumably where the matts were) is wet from her licking and has no fur compared to the rest of her body.

I asked the groomer and he told me it was a condition called “Post Grooming Furunculosis Pyoderma”. Help! Should I be worried? Does she need treatment? Do I have to stop her from licking the area?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would say that she needs to be seen by a vet. From what little I understand about this, it is an infection, so antibiotics would likely be needed to treat it properly. The groomer should have been able to tell you that - I would probably not go to them again, tbh.

Call your vet and send them a pic if they accept them - and tell them what the groomer said. It is possible the vet might prescribe something without having to take the cat in - but, that is just a guess.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We take our Persian to a groomer a few times a year and although I don't give him a lion cut the area under your cat's arm looks like it was shaved to close to the skin. posiepurrs posiepurrs would be a good person to ask about this, I hope she can offer her help.
Please keep us posted. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I didn’t know it was that serious. This is not her first time with this groomer. I should also probably mention that she doesn’t seem otherwise unwell. She’s still in high spirits - eating and playing well. I don’t see any pus or infections on the affected area as well. To me it just looks slightly pinker and wet due to her licking it more. The groomer only advised me to put baby oil or coconut oil on the area, didn’t mention anything about antibiotics. I would ring the vet tomorrow but I don’t wanna go in if it’s nothing serious because my girl doesn’t like to travel, it stresses her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do agree with neely neely about what it looks like - so, maybe the groomer is using the term on a broader scope than what I thought it was intended for. You might want to call them and tell them that you heard that condition was related to an infection and see if they tell you they use the term for general irritation as opposed to an infection.