Help: cat stool not hardening

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He needs to see a vet S skrumtuoscatlayd

Have you had both of the cats spayed and neutered yet? You need to do that right away, so ask the vet about his digestive problems when you make that appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ive got really good news! The kitten's stool got completely solid now! Heres picture of his stool he took this morning (sorry if it it's too gross)
20210119_213326.jpg

Since about day before yesterday he started pooping out solid poo. He tended to poo more solid poo when he was mostly on kibble and when he had too much of wet can food he tend to let out more loose poo after letting out solid poo. So I changed his diet to kibbles and bit of boiled chicken breast as a snack. Also it got less frequent, only 2-3 times a day. Im soooo happy he got better sooner than I expected and that without any medication.
But I've got another problem. I discovered that he chew on plastic bags and dry leaves he sees. How can I discourage this?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He needs to see a vet S skrumtuoscatlayd

Have you had both of the cats spayed and neutered yet? You need to do that right away, so ask the vet about his digestive problems when you make that appointment.
Not yet cause I was too busy working.. I'll try to book but I dont know whether I should think of it as a good thing, the white one stopped displaying any sign of heat ever since her wandering outside
Do heat cycle go by months or much longer period?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I discovered that he chew on plastic bags and dry leaves he sees.
That sounds like pica. Cats tend to chew on non food items for a variety of reasons. Being weaned too young, dietary deficiencies, genetics, boredom, compulsive disorder, or stress. I think if he is just getting dry food and chicken breast he might be lacking in some essential nutrients, so he is chewing other things to try and make up for that..

Do heat cycle go by months or much longer period?
They usually cycle in and out of heat every two weeks until they are pregnant. If you can't afford to care for a litter of kittens you need to get them both fixed right away.

I really hope you take both of the cats to a vet as soon as you can

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like pica. Cats tend to chew on non food items for a variety of reasons. Being weaned too young, dietary deficiencies, genetics, boredom, compulsive disorder, or stress. I think if he is just getting dry food and chicken breast he might be lacking in some essential nutrients, so he is chewing other things to try and make up for that..
I think it's more to do with boredom as he usually get caught escaping outside by pulling down flyscreen or sliding the balcony fly screen door. I try not to let him outside because I don't want to lose him and I don't want him to get sick or injured outside.. although hes with white cat whom he get along quite well and sometimes play wildly with each other I think he still craves the outdoor time. But it might also be because he's weaned too early because he also display suckling behavior which is also one among behavior which kittens weaned too early display. When I first got him he was tinier than I expected 8 week kitten to be but the breeder told me he was 8 week so not sure
Or do you think it might be because he's bit bengal (genetic)? Because I heard somewhere that bengal love to chew on things..
They usually cycle in and out of heat every two weeks until they are pregnant. If you can't afford to care for a litter of kittens you need to get them both fixed right away.
Yep I should

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still don't think kitty's poop is quite right based on that photo.

It's very light in colour, and wet. It should be more formed, and much darker.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yep I should
Do you need help finding a vet or spay clinic? Because from what you've posted so far you have;

1. A young female cat who recently lost a litter, we don't know how.
2. A young female cat who was in heat and got out. She may have mated while outside.
3. A young female cat, in heat, who got outside and was possibly exposed to FIV and FeLV.
4. A young female cat who may soon give birth to a litter of kittens that have been infected with either FIV or FeLV invitro.
5. A young unneutered male cat who possibly has Giardia or Coccidia, is showing signs of nutritional deficiencies and has been exposed to parasites that the female cat may have picked up while she was outside.
6. A young male cat who could quite easily contract FIV or FeLV from the female cat if he hasn't been vaccinated.

I know vet care is very expensive, but as a comparison the last litter of foster kittens I took in cost me an extra $500 in food in the three months I cared for them. They also all needed to be blood tested and vaccinated before I could put them up for rehoming, which was around $150 each. I've been doing rescue for a while, so I had people I could go to to help with rehoming. But if you are faced with a litter of possibly FIV+ or FeLV+ kittens that need rehoming in six months from now.......well, good luck with that.

Plus you will still need to get your male and female cats fixed after you've forked out for extra kitten food, blood tests, vaccinations or the surrender fees that most shelters ask for.

If you are not able to pay for a spay and neuter surgery soon, as in this month, you should think about surrendering the female cat to a No Kill shelter. She's pretty, she's pure white and friendly. She stands a really good chance of being adopted soon, But if you hold on to her and don't act soon you're going to have around 8 cats, who are quite possibly sick and are going to be extremely difficult to find new homes for.

I don't mean to paint too bleak a picture, but I'm just letting you know, from my own experience, what you are facing in the near future.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive got really good news! The kitten's stool got completely solid now! Heres picture of his stool he took this morning (sorry if it it's too gross)
View attachment 367009
Since about day before yesterday he started pooping out solid poo. He tended to poo more solid poo when he was mostly on kibble and when he had too much of wet can food he tend to let out more loose poo after letting out solid poo. So I changed his diet to kibbles and bit of boiled chicken breast as a snack. Also it got less frequent, only 2-3 times a day. Im soooo happy he got better sooner than I expected and that without any medication.
But I've got another problem. I discovered that he chew on plastic bags and dry leaves he sees. How can I discourage this?
That is a really badly looking stool. My heart breaks for this kitten :( imagine having a diarrhea for several months...

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it leaves little marks in the litter, then I suppose you could classify it as a 3; it might have photographed shinier (making it look wetter) than it actually is.

It looks more like a 4-5 to me, but that's based on the part that has no form, on the left side. Grain of salt, as I'm not there seeing it in person, and it's only the on image!

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first adopted our cat he had soft stool for a number of weeks (the thread here has a TON of amazing information from other posters about what to look for with parasites, IBD, and potentially other issues - I highly recommend skimming it for insight on the parasite question specifically).

From experience, that stool to me does not look good. I agree it is much too light, as is common when it passes through the digestive tract too quickly. It also does not look particularly formed - I would rate that a 4 - 5. I know it can be frustrating, and I am glad it's trending in the right direction, but I would not call that firm stool and I would encourage you to discuss with your vet.

theLordsprincess5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same thing going on with my 4 month old kitten. I'm so glad your kitten is starting to get better <3
:happycat::runningcat: