Help! Cat spraying after not spraying for years

McLisaRYT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Calico that is getting up there in age, probably 10 by now. I got her from someone who gave her up as an adult and I took her in. For the first several years of living with me she would spray. Doors, walls, furniture. I lived with my ex and we had another cat in the house. I understood and figured it was a territorial thing, and eventually got her to stop using sensors that would flash and make a loud noise. I've had to tear out carpet, throw out furniture and other things because of her spraying and not catching it in time. Ex moved out, took the other cat with him and she stopped. She had the house to herself and would only poop on the floor if she was mad about something, which wasn't often.
Well, the past two days she has started outright spraying again. Once on the curtains and once on a door, both times right in front of me. She has food, water, clean cat box and plenty of attention. I'm taking her to the vet next week, but can anyone help with what could be causing her to do this?

Side note - we are having the kitchen redone due to mold and there are some items from the kitchen in the family room, but she can navigate around them easily. She cannot jump up on furniture anymore due to hip issues, but we bought her stairs for the couch and we put her on the bed with us. I don't want to go through this again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The changes/noises in the home due to the kitchen renovation could be bothering her - stress can cause inappropriate peeing. Sometimes calming diffusers can help in this case; many use Feliway, but there are others on the market, and not all work on all cats - so experimentation is often needed.

Hip issues can also cause a problem, as there are some cats with arthritis that have issues with either getting in or out of the box, or even the position they hold to pee, which can cause pain. Most cats associate the pain with the box, not their bodies.

She probably should be checked for a UTI (and a full senior blood work up), and perhaps have some x-rays done of her spine and legs to look for arthritis, if you don't already know she has some. UTIs can also cause inappropriate peeing. There are several solutions to help with arthritis, it is just a matter of researching them and picking one you feel most comfortable with. Joint supplements (Cosequin or Dasuquin seem to be the most common ones), or some of the newer products that are injections that can block pain. Most times vet will start out with recommending a pain med like gabapentin, an OK choice for cats who don't mind taking pills.

Let us know what you find out at the vets, and if there any other questions we might try to help answer.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It certainly could be related to the kitchen renovation. Cats don't like change, and it could be stressing her out. And stress can actually cause a UTI which can cause litter box avoidance. So good that you've got a vet appointment for her.

Meanwhile, make sure you clean where she's peed with an enzyme cleaner, so if she can't smell her scent she might not pee there again.

Here's a few TCS articles with more info:
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – TheCatSite Articles

How To Remove Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also betting that the kitchen reno has a lot to do with this, especially at her age, being more set in her ways. FIC (feline idiopathic cyctitis) is always a possibility. Stress can bring that on. I'd get a vet check, just to make sure that is not the issue, and go from there. This may resolve itself when the kitchen is finished.