Help! Cat situation need great ideas please!!!

jolirogers23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently moved back in with my mom who has two male cats. I live in the basement with my female cat. We have two of the litter boxes downstairs and one upstairs. She (my mom) has the nose of a k9 and has notified me that the third litter box will be moved to the basement beginning in August. One of her male cats is dominant and is trying to mate with my cat. My cat wants nothing to do with this and challenges the cat back but runs on occasion and there was a point where he tried to mount her but she got away. I will be busy with school and work so I will not have time to supervise properly. I need to come up with a smell solution for upstairs somehow or some other idea. There is no way I am letting these cats roam freely while no one is home. Any expert ideas please?!?!

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Firstly, are all these cats desexed? If not, I would be addressing that urgently. Not only can you end up with a pregnant cat, but I think the males are more likely to fight/mark their territory.

What smell is your mum complaining of? Is there a strong urine/poo smell?

What sort of litter are you using? You might find some are better at controlling the smell than others. You should also be careful about how often they are getting scooped out, and how often you wash them down completely. I would say use an enzymatic cleaner, not just soap, as it will also help with the smell from my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jolirogers23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are all spayed and neutered or whichever is the proper term for not able to have babies anymore.

It's the overall smell of the litterbox

She scoops it every morning and I clean the box completely every 3-4 days.

Im thinking of buying ozium and finding a way to make it spray on its own every hour or so..

Any ideas helps!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be afraid of 1.) what is in that spray and is it safe for cats to be around and 2.) how close will the spray be to the litter box and what happens if it goes off when one of the cats is using the litter box? What about trying to sprinkle some baking soda in the litter to see if that helps any?

Have you considered charcoal bags to hang around the areas with the litter boxes to see if that might help absorb the odors?
Here is just one example of dozens that are on the market.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082KC4JT2/?tag=thecatsite

I am curious though - was there a litter box upstairs before you moved in? And, if so, why does she want to move it now? Is she aware that there really should be at least one litter box on each level of a home? Would these cats accept a covered litter box - might help with the odor somewhat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner in more or less thinking that the upstairs litter box should be "grandfathered" in since it was not ever one used by your cat in the first place. It sounds as if you are being put into a situation which is complicating. If your cat needs to remain in the basement, then the other boxes need to be left where they were. Again, I may be reading this the wrong way.

I once moved a litter box from a long time location and the cat who preferred it continued to use that spot regardless. No doubt your mother would find that upsetting.

There are a lot of articles which state that Ozium is not safe around pets, and is not safe to breathe in general.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jolirogers23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if it makes a difference, but the ozium is a gel and not the spray. The litterbox in question is being moved to the bathroom which the cats are never in unless they are using the litterbox.

She would normally have the litterbox in the unused basement but I am occupying the basement along with my female cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if it makes a difference, but the ozium is a gel and not the spray. The litterbox in question is being moved to the bathroom which the cats are never in unless they are using the litterbox...She would normally have the litterbox in the unused basement but I am occupying the basement along with my female cat.
Sorry, I guess I am kind of confused. So, the third litter box is NOT being moved to the basement, where you said there are already two boxes, but rather it will be in a bathroom - that is upstairs?

Whether Ozium is in spray form or gel form, if there are ingredients that are harmful to pets, it will be the same for both forms. And, since - as I understand it - their fragrance formula is a patented 'secret', you have no way of knowing if there are chemicals that are toxic, or bothersome, to pets.